Longer range guys

Any of you guys play with the Leatherwood ART scopes. I’ve got the little one on an auto 308 and the big one on a bolt 308. Haven’t been to the range to verify 200 for the small and 300 for the large. Curious if any of you guys have had any luck with them.

Have zeroed mathematicaly At 100.

2 Likes

The ART system has been around since Vietnam and basically it tries to make a second focal plane scope useful as a ranging reticle with an incorporated ballistic cam. The down fall of all optical ranging systems is that you need to know how big something near what you’re aiming at is. From there you get to do math to figure out how far away it is and the dial on (or hold) the appropriate ballistic correction. The ART system uses 2nd focal plane optics that allow you to zoom the image to a given stadia as opposed to 1st focal plane which allows you to zoom the reticle to measure the object. Again you need to know how big what your measuring is.

As far as “ballistic” reticles and cams go I’m not really a big fan of “minute of center mass”. No permanently marked variation will take into consideration, temperature, humidity, barometric pressure or wind which all affect the ballistic profile of a shot. If “close enough” is good enough then it may work for you.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

Thank you, love these scopes or at least the idea of them. Understand the size of target vsa size not grafted. Thanks for the information it is truly appreciated.

1 Like

Do you have any exp with the .22 precision stuff. It sounds like fun.

@Craig9 I dabbled in 22LR precision out to about 400 yds. Realistically Inside 300 yds is controllable in calm conditions. Hyper and high velocities IMHO don’t help the situation they go too fast for the twist rate and are in general meh. Standard velocity in the ~36gr flavor seems to do well across the course and is fairly stable. Barrel lengths in 22’s vary greatly and there is worthy experimentation to be had there. I have a couple 27" Remmy 513 T’s as well as the 18"Ruger 10/22 and a few others in between. Various things can be said about each, it depends what you are trying to accomplish. If your looking for something in particular drop me a line I went wide but not deep and I may be able to point you in a direction. The biggest ting about 22 LR’s is NEVER clean the barrel. Swab the chamber, scrape it if you have to but NEVER clean the bore. It takes between 500 and 250 rounds of ammo to “season” the bore to a respectable level and hundreds more to fine tune it.

I have a Springfield 1922 M1/2 (original) that I purchased from an old High Power guy. When he sold it to me he said the gun had 2357 rounds through it (documented) and was capable of X/10 ring accuracy with good ammo. He stated that the last time he cleaned it down to steel was at over 7700 rounds as the accuracy fell off. It took him over 300 rounds to get the accuracy back after taking the bore all the way down to steel too and including using mercury to get ALL the lead out. To this day I can print .3’s with it at 50 with Remington Thunderbolt. Wolf and Eley match are better than I am and make .2’s easy. I have similar experience with various other military 22LR’s. My Kimber 82-G has just north of 1K through it with a scope worth twice the price of the rifle mounted to it and it’s a .2 gun and steadily shrinking when I get to shoot it. There is a lot I’m leaving out but if you do precision anything you all ready know that.

If you meant .223 precision see regular rifle loading for center fire.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

Thanks for the info. One of the cubs around here is really getting into it with weekly informal matches. Was approached last summer at a pistol match to come and give it a try. Sounds like fun. Again was curious and thank you. May reach out in the near future for some direction.

1 Like