Let's talk about changing trigger's

I have a Smith & Wesson sd40ve and I was wanting to know how to either soften my trigger or change it? It takes a lot of pressure and it’s a long Pole to fire and I was wanting to shorten up the pole. I’m a new gun owner. So I have no idea.

1 Like

Is this a SD gun?

S&W SD40VE… Not sure what you mean by SD.

Is it Self Defense firearm?

Lol yes… sorry I didn’t put SD together as self-defense. Wow I feel dumb.

No worries… I’ve got problem with some abbreviations as well… :+1:

We asked you if you were using this weapon for self-defense because changing firearms action parts would bring a lot of extra questions in case this weapon was used in shooting.
That is something you have to remember. I know it sounds weird, but making your firearm better shooter for you, the same time you make it better killer in prosecutor’s eyes. :zipper_mouth_face:

If you still think about lowering trigger pull these are your options:

1. MCARBO Smith and Wesson SD9VE / SD40VE Trigger Spring Kit

this might be enough, but if you want better trigger feel and reduce pre-travel, additionally to MCarbo, go with this:

1. APEX Action Enhancement Trigger for SD, SDVE & Sigma
2 Likes

So your saying that it could be used against me in the Court of law if I change my trigger? I never thought of that. Wow. That blows my mind.

5 Likes

Your post asking about the trigger could be used against you. This is a public forum. :eyes:

@Jerzees

Answered why a trigger job on a SD weapon may be not good.

2 Likes

They have different companies on the market that you can purchase after market triggers from, off the top of my head I can recommend Apex or Hyve. I am sure there are others. I never change triggers on my guns I like to keep my Internal parts stock. Especially on my carry guns.

1 Like

Yes, it can be used against you, however it doesn’t mean you will be convinced guilty.
Making modification you just create another “argument against yourself”.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/can-i-modify-my-firearm/

2 Likes

I watched the video with the link you put up there and he specifically was talking about the appearance. He said nothing about the way the gun function. But your point is made both of you. Whether or not that attorney was talking about appearances or the way of the gun functioned I understand what you’re saying. If I were to change the trigger on my SD weapon I can understand where they could say " see he modified it kill faster" or however a prosecutor would spin it. So I understand and I definitely thank you both for bringing that to my attention and I will definitely take that into consideration before doing anything to any of my guns.

2 Likes

If you are just using it as a range or competitive shooter by all means do your thing brother.

1 Like

I do NOT advocate making a trigger lighter. However, be able to articulate why you’ve done anything to your firearm. Everything will most likely come into question.

Your attorney should be able to help you bring to light that anything you’ve done to your firearm is to help you be as safe and accurate as possible if you ever have to defend yourself.

I’m not a fan of giving a prosecuting attorney any extra ammunition to use against me. My carry firearm is stock and I use a highly recommended self-defense round.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t mess with anything safety or trigger related. I have seen a couple people at the range with pinned grip safeties and/or kits to eliminate the fp safety in their 80 series 1911’s… wouldn’t do that if it were my EDC. IMO you’re asking for trouble from the argument that you made it faster/easier to kill someone.

2 Likes

This is why I am glad I made the decision to become a member of USCCA. When I started this blog it was about modifying a gun and turns out because of all the knowledge that you all have, I could have very well made a huge mistake by doing so. Even though this is not what I expected to read. I am sure glad I asked the question. Thank you everybody for being there to support new gun owners like myself and educate us in a way that were able to protect ourselves and stay on the right side of the law.

4 Likes

Upgraded front sight and a weapon mounted light are the only two mods on my EDC. I can easily articulate the improvement in safety that these provide me.

2 Likes

Sight upgrades can be argued that they were done for better on target accuracy and to prevent missing in a SD situation. A light/laser attachment can be argued for better seeing and target accuracy at night or low light situations. Beyond those changes I don’t think there is much argument for internal changes that could be defended by an attorney. All that being said has there been cases of prosecutors arguing that a lighter trigger was installed to kill better/faster?

1 Like

Hey Justin,

One thing you may want to consider that I didn’t see anyone mention (if I missed it I’m sorry), is that in some states or areas, you may NOT want to change the trigger for legal reasons.

As an example…my state is notorious for being harsh to gun users. Lawyers and Concealed Carry instructors all educate people that they SHOULDN’T swap out the trigger or any part of the gun because it could be used against us if we have to use our firearm.

Some concealed carrier has someone come at them with a knife and they fire a single shot and stop the threat. The prosecution could see a modified trigger and argue that you were looking to shoot someone and try and charge you with murder instead of self defense. Oh, you put the punisher emblem on your pistol or the american flag and the person you shot was a mexican national? yeah, public perception and the prosecution could use such modifications against you in certain areas so please check your area and make sure BEFORE you make any changes just to be safe. If your area is more pro-gun and gun supportive, then knock yourself out and consider yourself lucky for not living in a lunatic asylum like I do.

3 Likes

If you shoot targets every day it could go against you because you shot the perp. between the eyes.

2 Likes

Can I ask a silly question? Here it is:

Just how would some lawyer know that you had installed a different trigger? My Sigs have trigger upgrades that are both OEM. But what if it were an aftermarket trigger? How could they find out? Same with other less obvious upgrades. Some anti-gun prosecutor is probably not a gun person.

Just thinking out loud here.

3 Likes