Law Tactical Folding adapter part of OAL and LOP?

Does anybody have a link to an ATF letter that talks about Law Tactical Folding Adapters and how they add or shouldn’t add to the OAL (overall length) of the AR Pistol or the LOP (length of pull)?

Also, I don’t know if I should measure the OAL from the end of the buffer tube since the pistol in the folded position is still functional (it could fire 1 round and then I’d have to manually remove the case and add another round).

I did some research and I couldn’t find anything, I found a letter only about folding braces.

Thank you in advance.

2 Likes

I did not find it on the ATF site, but here is a link that I found to the letter I believe you are referencing;

3 Likes

IMHO: As long as when the buffer tube is unfolded the OAL is less than 26" and the LOP is less than the grey area 13.5" it just makes it a more compact pistol. No harm no foul there. The ATF letter your looking for deals with braces that extend beyond the buffer tube NOT being included in the OAL of the pistol because it is an accessory and not a functional part of the actual pistol.

This has the letter that you are looking for but the page is lawyer speak.

This also has the letter and is much clearer and points out that a folding “STOCK” may make a rifle into a pistol if it is less than 26" or with a vertical hand stop.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Fast forward to the 6 min mark if you dont want to watch the whole thing

3 Likes

Thank you very much, that helped a lot.
I read this letter from ATF: https://www.recoilweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/ATF-folded-brace_Redacted.pdf
I thought that since the Law adapter weren’t needed for the functionality of the pistol, you could subtract the adapter from the total OAL. My problem is that the total OAL would be 26 1/4" to the end of the buffer tube. I’ll maybe have to remove the Law adapter to be considered a pistol. :frowning:

1 Like

Or run a shorter barrel but the LOP would still be an issue

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the effort you put in answering my question. I really appreciate it.
My problem wouldn’t be the LOP because SB Tactical sells this adapter to shorten the LOP: LOPL Length of Pull Limiter (4 Pack) | SB Tactical

My AR would be 10.5"of barrel, I don’t feel comfortable choosing a shorter barrel since it can become unreliable and it’ll be louder and “dirtier”.
My problem is that with the Law adapter the OAL would be 26 1/4" (stupid rule) to the end of the buffer tube. I guess I have to remove the Law adapter. :frowning:
By the ATF letter from 2019, wouldn’t it mean that the Law adapter is merely an “accessory”? In this case it wouldn’t count as part of the OAL. Or because it’s not at the end of the buffer tube but in the middle would be considered more than an accessory?

I saw that on this post from USCCA, they say any foregrips are out of question on pistols, even angled ones, but I can’t find a ATF letter that says that. Do you know anything about that?
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/keeping-your-ar-15-pistol-build-within-legal-limits/

2 Likes

I don’t have an answer for you, but this thread on another site has a lot of scans of ATF letters

2 Likes

This sheds a bit more light on the AFG vs VFG. The USCCA post is meant as a general warning but the AFG has been court tested and is not an issue.

@Sandro IF you have a folding brace such as the Law adapter the OAL MUST be taken with the stock folded as your pistol will still be a pistol (albeit a single shot) with it folded. The letter you reference specifically points this out as the brace is an accessory and in your case the LAW is also an accessory that does not impede the function of the pistol to discharge a single round.

If you are looking for a shorter buffer tube there are some available that will keep you under both minimums. Also remember that the MUZZLE attachment if removable is not part of the measurement unless it is permanently affixed/pinned. The muzzle is the end of the barrel and the measuring point, the brake/flash hider attachment is also an accessory and not part of the OAL.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Yeah, my muzzle attachment is not pinned and I already measured without it. I was thinking the same thing about shooting 1 round, it’s not like the pistol is not “fully functional” with it in the folded position, it’d just take longer to manually remove the casing and add another round.
It helped me a lot. I really appreciate your help.

2 Likes