First AR Pistol Build - Questions

I am building an AR-15 Pistol in 5.56 within Michigan. I want to make sure my understanding of the laws are correct.

First, My AR will have a 10.5” barrel with Adjustable Brace. My LOP from from my trigger straight back to the end of the brace is 13.25”. My OAL in it’s Shortest configuration is 25”

So the points I want to clarify are:

1. LOP = length from face of trigger to end of brace (fully extended) and should be less than 13.5”
  2. OAL - Length from barrel minus flash suppressor to the end of the brace in it’s shortest configuration ( Not extended) and must be less than 26”

Once I know all of these are true - I can register this as a pistol in the State of Michigan and it would be covered under my CPL?

Thank you for answering - I have not found any clear cut answers anywhere and I tried both the Googles and the ATF website before asking here. Thanks.

3 Likes

Welcome to the family! @James537 you are in the right place! I dont have the right answer for you, but someone will!

4 Likes

It appears you have done your homework well as all of your assertions are correct. Most of the answers you seek are definitively provided in letters from the BATFE once you get around all the legal double speak. One note the OAL measurement is from the muzzle (minus the FH/S as you note) to the end of the buffer tube not the end of the brace. The brace is considered an accessory as it does not affect the function of the pistol.

I have no input on Michigan law.

Perhaps @Zavier_D can link to his build thread as I seem to recall it had several links to letters and such.

Oh! Welcome aboard!

Cheers,

Craig6

7 Likes

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I feel a bit more confident in the information I have put together then. My next step is to actually register it as a pistol because I’m fairly certain it will not be covered under my CPL unless it is legally registered as a pistol. Since I built it, it is currently registered as an AOW. I am open to any further information as I want to be legal … I don’t really like bracelets…

2 Likes

@James537. Welcome to the community, where we all have funny names. keep safe and train hard.

2 Likes

@James537 Just for my own edification …

Michigan requires you to REGISTER your pistols?

AOW is an NFA term which involves Tax Stamps. Please explain this registration thing a bit if you are inclined.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Yes Craig, Michigan is a Pistol registration state. As I understand it, there is a loophole if you have an out of state CPL but otherwise, it is required here.

3 Likes

Welcome to the family brother and you are blessed to be here.

1 Like

You’re making a lot of assumptions. In fact, by definition you sir are the troll.

Having an AR pistol covered under the CPL is not about trying to jock an AR and walk down the street. It means the difference between being able to transport in the cab of my vehicle loaded or placed in a case out of reach. Also- in the state of Michigan you cannot have a loaded rifle in your side by side on your own property…

See, you are the clueless one drawing conclusions and assumptions based on information you don’t have.

4 Likes

You are being a jerk. He can carry that if he wants. Just because you think it’s excessive does not make it so. Lighten up and get off your self-appointed soap box judges bench.

3 Likes

Thanks for your opinion. Have a nice day.

2 Likes

If james wants to carry an AR pistol, he can knock himself out. My point stands true though…if he ever pulls it or uses it, how do you think the primarily DEMOCRAT run state of MI will respond? Do you think they’ll act like he was justified or bordering on crazy?

We all have a responsibility to provide accurate and honest information. His question about carrying one is going to bring about lots of challenges when and if he ever uses it. He’ll likely be challenged JUST like I am, by people who are less gun happy than me. We all make choices and While I may have been as you say, a jerk, my reason is sound and justified. He needs to consider the legal issues carrying an AR pistol might bring. If he feels its still justified…then again…those are his choices that he must live with.

To put it into perspective, I’ve been pulled over before and having 2 weapons in my vehicle was enough to have additional officers and sergeant on duty called on me to inquire why I needed TWO weapons. How do you think those same officers might react or anyone if they came across an AR pistol?

You can call me a jerk but I am not on a soap box, I’m playing the devil’s advocate and bringing to light that his choice of firearm will be scrutinized whether he uses it or not.

1 Like

I said you were being a jerk, not that you are one full-time. The explanation you gave was reasonable and was given without the snark.

I have enjoyed your postings to this point, just so you know. Have a nice Sunday.

3 Likes

This is why I built my AR pistol. It was simply because the laws around transporting are easier to comply with when crossing state lines.

4 Likes

Exactly, I’m not sure why someone would jump to the conclusion that I want to EDC an AR Pistol…

My only concern with crossing state lines as I have not done the research yet is what if the state I’m crossing into defines a pistol differently? Maybe all states abide by the ATF definition… I’m not sure…

4 Likes

The states I travel thru all use the ATF definition

3 Likes

Colion Noir and Talon Sai discuss their road-trip setups. Colion has a Sig Rattler in 300BO and Talon has a Honey Badger in 300BO. They discuss what else they carry and why they have the setup they do.

4 Likes