Large caliber air rifles

I recently met a guy that’s into large caliber air rifles. He said there are 30, 35, 457, and 50 caliber air rifles that can take game, such as the Air Force Texan. The Air Force Texan lss advertises 875 fps and 750 ft/lbs with a 50 cal 275 gr. slug. Does anyone have experience with these platforms that can give a little insight?

3 Likes

Yes I do. So far as I know they are not regulated by State/Fed. There are other country’s that strictly control them. IE: need special permit or license for airguns
Producing over 5. Something foot pounds. Some towns may prohibit the sail of airguns. This is where the A Holes start showing up IE: there is a gun shop that I go to that sells more Ruger firearms than anyone in the US but their town has a ordinance
Prohibiting the sale of Airguns. That’s about it for legal stuff ( so far ). If you want technical information I have that too but let me know if you’re concerned about law or tech. Info. PS. They have enough power to hunt black bear and ones that shoot
Arrows called air bows that can kill a cape Buffalo. If you are interested in getting one let me know what your intended use will be. If you like send me a Direct email
Through this website. Click on my picture, then click on the envelope And away you go. :us::us:

3 Likes

Check this out, big bore air rifles:

1 Like

I will say this… big bore, break barrels and PCP air rifles are heavy hitters. I’ve seen them take down white tail dear, boar and many other kinds of game. Believe it or not but 22 caliber and up will do some damage. Some PCP rifles are fully auto too shooting 25cal. Check out the different ballistic test they do on you tube…50 cal putting 6” holes in blocks of clay at 50 yards and even further. It’s cool to see that air rifles can used for home self defense too. If they pack a punch to take down dear and wild boar it goes in my book as a choice to consider. Check out some name brand companies who make them. AirgunDepot.com has many to choose from and yes they can run up on the pricey side even some more then real rifles lol. Check it out and see for yourself tho. Great way for some people to prep/train with. And if you wanna know some of them are very loud lol. .45/.50 dragon claw is definitely an ear full lol. I wanted to add this real quick so you can see. SIG Sauer MCX Virtus | PCP Air Rifle Replica | Airgun Depot

1 Like

I have the AR-15 style BB gun in full auto and also the full auto hand gun both are ablast to shoot. Both are CO2 catridge styles. I also have the original Gamo Whisper break barrel, easy for me to cock and it has taken down many tree rats. Last year I bought the latest and greatest Gamo Whisper break barrl , this one I cannot free hand cock, I have to brace this one off the ground to cock and it is still tough for a 74 year old. I need to fine tune the scope on this one. I think the early one is like 1,400 fps and the new one is like 1,600 fps. So far I have not got into the large caliber air guns.

1 Like

Had one ( 12 GM. Co2 ) that died after many years of use. It probably would still
be working if I took the time to read the instructions. Having the internet I discovered that it is almost an underground cult. Maybe there are more people into airguns than firearms. The equipment cost to be fully equipped with a
good PCP airgun is more expensive than a nice rifle, especially if you want your own tank pump. If you don’t have pump you can buy a fill tank for it and, get the tank filled @ a scuba shop. The tanks hold 5000 ± psi. The air guns run 3500 ±
psi. Some airguns ( pcp, co2, springers, & piston air guns ) come w/ moderators
[ NOT YOU DAWN ] silencers. There are tons of online videos on air gun reviews, and hunting. Some of the optics and equipment are more exotic than firearms.
GUNS OF Arizona is over the top with equipment and customer service. I got a Pellet rifle from them, & a on sale cocobolo stock for $10. I got a scope from them,
Not only did they mount it but they also cited it in. I’m trying to keep it short but if you look into it it’s a whole Nother world. Also check out> Airgun depot Pyramyd air & more. If you get one you have to cock pay attention to the listed cocking Weight.
:us::us::us::us:

2 Likes

For the most part, my airgun experience is limited to a Benjamin .22. I have been considering getting something like an FX or Air Force rifle and a compressor to possibly do some hunting. For now the “pellets” are cheap as well.

They are very enjoyable to shoot and can be dead balls accurate if you take the time to figure out which pellet you’re gun likes. Be carful with the type of oil you use because it can damage o rings and seals. Some of the pellet gun oil is stupid expensive. I had a problem with a CO2 pellet rifle and when I was talking to an old certified Crossman repair technician he told me about automatic transmission fluid and I’ve been using it for years on firearms and pellet guns. I got some very small oil needle bottles for pinpoint application. If you do get a scope get one that’s rated for a pellet gun. All of my pellet guns have scopes on them because I have a problem with iron sites. I am also blind in one eye which doesn’t help. My two favorite scopes are a mantis 3 to 9 AO. And a Bug buster scope with a illuminated Cross hair and a bunch of color changes with a touch of a button. PS I
have tried every alloy pellet going because they are lighter and faster but they don’t shoot worth a ■■■■. :paraguay: :paraguay: :paraguay:

2 Likes

I have around 10 different pellets. When I bought the first GAMO Whisper I set up a target at 30 yards and then shoot 3 round of each. I ended up with 5 different pellets that would shoot better than a one inch group. I would have to be in the play room to give you the names. The worse pellet out there is the yellow can Daisy it would run about a 10 to 12 inch group.

1 Like

Two things that may help. Check out bore snakes. The barrels get dirty very fast, it can be a combination of lead and dieseling. Once I looked at bore snakes for pellet guns I made my own and they work well, I don’t like putting a cleaning rod in the barrel. A very small amount of ATF ( transmission oil ) on a patch maybe every 10 or 15 shots will keep the barrel clean and happy. It’s fast and easy. The ATF Is safe for o rings and seals, don’t use regular oil in or on any part of the gun. Only use extreme small amount to lubricate the piston ( re-dieseling ) to seat the pellet I use the head of a 45 acp fmj. When you seat the pellet you can feel it clunk into place and seats the skirt more consistently than a finger. I made a dummy acp for it. The last thing is pellet guns will shot better being held a certain way. Unlike a fire arm they most of the time like what’s called the artillery hold. If you connect all the dots pellet guns are dead ball accurate. I usto shoot tree rats from my kitchen window, head shots only @ 60 feet. Two of my favorite scopes are the mantis 3x9 AO and the bug buster with muti colored reticle. I’m trying to keep it short but if you want t get the most out of your pellet rifle doing some of these thing will help. PS: there are endless videos on every thing you need & should know IE: how to clean, shoot or lubricate your pellet gun. PS THE TREE RATS ARE
Almost extinct so I’m letting them regenerate for a while. :paraguay: :paraguay: :paraguay:

3 Likes