Keep house dark or lit at night

We have a Mercury Vapor light on in the yard between the 2 gates that lead to a large barn and pond for the Donkey’s. The light also aluminates part of the house. The other side is too steep for anyone to reach the window’s even with a ladder and the dogs let us know in plenty of time of any intruders on the property.

4 Likes

Lights on outside and off inside so we can see out but it’s hard to see inside. When I’m gone I use Alexa Guard which actively listens for certain sounds and notifies me about it and also turns lights on and off like if I was home.

4 Likes

I’m reluctant to post all our security arrangements, but we do make extensive use of outdoor lighting and have external motion sensitive cameras as well. Nothing gets me moving more quickly than the alert that there is motion in our backyard, although that is far more to see what wildlife has wandered in then the likeliness a burglar crossed through our Police Officer neighbor’s property to sneak up to our back windows :joy:

2 Likes

@Harold26 , I had to turn texting notification off on all our cameras as the wildlife passing through was blowing up my phone!

2 Likes

Keep your perimeter lights on at night ie, outside. Inside , I pretty well know the layout of my house, so I just carry a small low ,high power flashlight when I have to move around. I also keep the oven-range light on in the kitchen and also a dim light in the bathroom. Bedroom has a small dim light controlled by Alexa. That works for me.

1 Like

I know this is an old post but I wanted to say something about this. I have seen real home invasions caught on outside and inside cameras. Every video I’ve scene, it was dark outside and it was dark inside. The Intruders did not have flashlights in fact they had nothing but their tools to break in quietly and cloth bags to carry what they were stealing. I’ve never seen a home invasion caught on film that the lights were all on inside and out. So we keep the lights on.

2 Likes

“Luckily?” Lucky for the boyfriend, maybe. But I would not lose a bit of sleep over shooting my daughter’s “boyfriend” if I caught him trying to make unlawful entry to MY home! My daughter will know this before she ever thinks about whether or not she wants a boyfriend. Dude better hope I catch him, and not her mother. She shoots better than I do and isn’t nearly as forgiving.

2 Likes