Lights on or off and home automation

I have Google Home automation throughout my house including lights in every room. In a home invasion scenario would it be advisable to light up the whole house or come up with a scheme that only lights up the entry points. Thoughts on this would be appreciated. Of course I could also have them blinking in different colors while playing loud music/noises to confuse any intruders.

2 Likes

Welcome aboard @JoeBarFly!!!

You provided an interesting question which I had not thought about.

Total light control and audio?

I’m thinking random alternating lights and a portion of GNR “Welcome to the Jungle”

“You know where you are?
You’re in the Jungle Baby,
Your gonna Dieeee”

followed up by a trailer clip from DOOM, the video game with the shot gun blasting and racking, monsters screaming and all.

Yeah everyone on my block would know bad stuff is happening.

You’d have to be careful about which sensors set that particular bit of magic off tho, glass break combined with door and or movement or all three to initiate the big show.

Hmmmmmm interesting. OBTW part of my retired job is security installation so I dig this stuff but I don’t do Google I just automate through an air gap house server

Cheers,

Craig6

5 Likes

Welcome to the family brother and glad to have you

Glass breaking in the middle of night, I’m leaving the lights off. I want to maximize home field advantage. If I want to make it look like multiple people are home, I would have lights going on. If people were outside, I’d want to light outside and keep inside dark.

1 Like

Thanks for the great ideas. I’ve thought about whether or not I really want Google attached to my home security. I’ll probably look into something more isolated.
I’m actually looking for my pre-retirement job/opportunity right now after spending 38 years in IT so something security related might be in my future.

1 Like

Glad to be here. I’m sort of a retread. Was into target shooting as a hobby in the early 90’s with a CCW but life happened and I drifted and let my permit lapse. So I’m in the process of reapplying. I’m looking forward to the support here and hope I can contribute in some way.

2 Likes

Sounds like a plan. I have some motion detectors to be installed and eventually some cameras. Of course the goal would be to hopefully make them pause and run away before any confrontation. I live in a fairly dense neighborhood but recently we’ve had some regulars coming through at night checking for open vehicle doors. Hopefully they don’t get any bolder than that but might as well be ready.

2 Likes

My go to is to get a web site and a linked stand alone server to “talk” with “Simply Safe” or pick a provider that will give me monitoring and real time interaction such as live camera feed. The stand alone server with air gap monitors the physical connections and can initiate actions just like a Johnson Controls base unit or other vendor for fire and bugler but can transmit but not receive. It takes a bit of doing but it can be done. With 38 years in IT I’m sure you can figure it out. Several guys in my shop have played with multiple systems and most have gone to a stand alone security server and VPN to south west outer Trasahcanistan by way of northern Mumbai. Norton seems to have it fairly well locked down but some of them run to a secondary VPN. I doubt it’s hack proof but it would take a dedicated individual to get there and after all we are talking about door kickers.

As long as you are not remote slaving your mini gun and claymore servos over the net … wait, did I say that out loud…

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

Lol! The best laugh I have had in a while! The mental video of an intruder thinking he is going to steal a hard working persons belongings met by a home alone movie clip on steroids!
I love the way you guys think!

1 Like

3 Likes

1 Like

That’s a good one brother.:+1::+1:

Welcome to the community

My house is automated I am using hue lights and sensor

My set up is light on when movement is detected - Works great -

1 Like

With alarm set and no one home turn on everything. All lights, siren, entertainment system (set volume high), etc.

With perimeter set and and home occupied- lights on near active sensor, chime doorbell then sound alarm.

Dogs will be going off in either scenario.

2 Likes