Just when you think your safe

And now we need to be armed on the toilet. :scream:

Snake Slithers Out of Toilet, Bites Man on His Genitals

[image]

An Austrian man got an unpleasant and unusual surprise on Monday morning when a snake bit his genitals as he was using the toilet.

© Vladyslav Danilin/Getty An Austrian man was surprised by an albino python snake and bitten on his genitals after sitting down on a toilet Monday morning. This undated file photo shows an albino python curled up in an unspecified location.

The 65-year-old victim felt “a ‘tweak’ in the area of genitals” around 6 a.m. shortly after sitting on the toilet in his Graz home, according to a press release from local Austrian police. When the man looked in the toilet bowl to investigate, he saw an albino python measuring over 5-feet long looking back at him.

The snake belonged to his 24-year-old neighbor, a reptile enthusiast whose nearby apartment also contained 10 other snakes and a gecko. Police said that it was not clear how the snake had escaped from its terrarium, but that it “possibly entered the toilet via the sewer system.”

The unnamed victim was transported to a nearby hospital where he was treated for what were described as “minor injuries.” Pythons are not venomous snakes, killing their prey with constriction instead. However, bites from the snakes can be extremely painful and carry additional risks because some of the animals may be disease carriers.

Police called on reptile expert Werner Stangl to remove the snake after the biting incident took place. Stangl told Austrian paper Kronen Zeitung that rescuing the snake from the toilet was a difficult task, especially while taking care to avoid injuring the python.

Emergency workers were asked to leave the bathroom before the toilet rescue operation took place over fears that vibrations could scare the snake. The reptile attempted to resist Stangl by tensing its muscles and pressing itself against the toilet. It was eventually removed before being cleaned off and returned home.

Authorities are investigating the python’s owner, who was reportedly “shocked” by the incident, for potential negligent assault charges. Although the decision was made to return the snake to its owner, local veterinary authorities could eventually reach a different decision.

Newsweek reached out to the Austrian embassy in Washington, D.C. for comment and additional information.

Monday’s incident was far from the first time that a snake has been discovered inside a toilet bowl. Pythons have been involved in multiple incidents, although reports of related bites are rare.

Last month, the company Tableland Snake Catchers was called to remove a python that had taken up residence inside the toilet of a Queensland, Australia locale. It was quickly discovered that the snake had made its way into the toilet by entering an open inspection point near the home and moving through the pipes. No bites or other injuries were reported.

In March, a 45-year-old man in Thailand came close to being bitten after sitting down on a toilet and noticing something bump his rear end—which he soon discovered was due to a large python. Video posted online shows an emergency responder pulling the snake out of the toilet.

A 54-year-old woman in Thailand did get bitten by a python that had made its way into the toilet bowl inside her home last October. After being released from a hospital where she was treated for the painful and bloody bite, Boonsong Plaikaew said that she would “check the toilet every time before I sit down” from that point forward.

1 Like

It’s definitely better to have genitals bitten by python than squeezed by boa
 ouch :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Always look before you squat!

I have a friend who went to the bathroom while camping and was mid squat when he heard a rattlesnake behind him. Don’t think he was able to move his bowels for a few days after that;)

I was about to take a short siesta on a hot desert hike several years ago. Leaned my pack against a bush and was about to sit against it when a Mojave Green rattlesnake let me know that was his siesta spot. I usually look carefully before sitting in the wild but that day my brain was fried from the heat. Haven’t forgotten to look before sitting since that day!

3 Likes

THAT had to be the scariest sound I can imagine while squatting. :scream:
Kind of hard to run with your pants down.

4 Likes

I would feed the 24 year old neighbor to the python.

4 Likes

Sloooly, feet first. :rage:

2 Likes

After watching the movie “Arachnophobia” in the 90s I’ve been hyper vigilant about checking my toilet before sitting. This is another good reason to be overly observant. Just think about the story about the two guys where one gets bit by a poisonous snake in the privates and the other guy says “you’re gonna die” because he would suck the poison out.

3 Likes

I hate spiders, not afraid of them but have been bit 5 times over the years, none poisonous but they all hurt.
Always keep a can of Raid handy. :wink:

2 Likes

Whoa! :flushed: I would definitely sh!t my pants
 except in that case, I wouldn’t be wearing one.

3 Likes

No kidding the toilet is where you are supposed to be able to let your guard down, so to speak. :grimacing:

5 Likes

The first time I had to go in the field we were in the middle of a fire mission. Most stressful all of nature ever. Snakes in Germany didn’t seem to be a problem. But boarhogs we’re/are.

3 Likes

When I was at Fort Benning Ga. for basic training, I laid in the grass and fell asleep and almost got bite in the head by what kind of cooper looking snake.

1 Like

Copperheads are very poisonous. A young soldier dropping to the prone at Fort Sill was bit by a buzz worm in the 80s or 90s. He died almost instantly. Sad story.

2 Likes

“Yes officer, this is why I felt the need to discharge a firearm within city limits.”

A snake crawls out of my toilet, house is for sale.

5 Likes

I’m hesitant to fire my weapon at the coyotes and foxes in my yard. City might fine, charge, confiscate, jail or take awake my 2A rights.

2 Likes

Most developed residential areas do have ordinances against discharging firearms in city or town limits. Even very rural areas usually have rules against shooting within a quarter mile or so of an occupied dwelling. People have gotten in trouble for shooting gophers here in my very rural town.

3 Likes

Use pellet guns. :us:

3 Likes

No can do in my little Kalifornia town.

2 Likes

Wow, you need to migrate. :grinning:

2 Likes

Let’s see how recall elections play out first :wink:

4 Likes