John Correa Video- Thoughts

5 Likes

I agree 100 percent with practicing your stance, very important. How important it is to make that first shot count. I also believe that in that situation you can’t worry to much about your stance, no time. When you have to react quickly like that clerk did it is a point and shoot situation while also looking for cover. We can learn a lot from this video. One thing I always learn is how quickly this happens and how quickly you have to react.

11 Likes

He needs to clean up his work area. :rofl: I’m thinking he bought a firearm with no thought of practice, I have a gun mentality.

8 Likes

Maybe he missed that first shot because he was worried about his pants falling down.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

9 Likes

Looking at his garment, especially lower back area with visible “Panama Canal” I would not expect any training nor practice from him

They say, stance is not important
 or is important (depending on Instructor), but it’s mostly misinterpretation.
It’s not about how we should keep feet, bend knee or how far extended the arms
 All these are very dynamic and cannot be measured or remembered.
We discussed this several times on other threads
 Stance is just a regular, normal everyday posture with added technique of proper handgun handling.

To be honest this guy could be taken down with closed eyes
 :expressionless:

4 Likes

Although we still see formal stances like Weaver, Chapman, and Isosceles taught in USCCA, NRA, and MAG classes, the reality for self defense is having a stance that is stable and allows a good gun grip and sight picture. In this video John mentioned the value of practice when kneeling. Givens and Ayoob both include shooting from kneeling in their classes. For a discussion on non-standard shooting positions, see Correia’s recent ASP Extra video on Suboptimal positions: https://youtu.be/ix5LDTT8vrM

5 Likes

Looks like the clerk set up his own rat trap for himself! Guess he figured if he can’t get out, no one can get in!
Lot of rounds flying around, and no hits from 3-5’?

4 Likes

That’s what happens when people shoot from booth range only
 claiming they practice a lot
 :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

5 Likes

That happens a lot.

One thing people underestimate IMO is the need to use the sights, even ‘close’. You’re moving, they’re moving, you’re under stress, you’re wearing whatever you are wearing not your ‘range clothes’, it’s cold with no warmup, only hits count
get the sight on the target

5 Likes

Unfortunately most of such incidents come with pattern:

“Oh, s.h.i.t
, s.h.i.t., s.h.i.t.”
Pew, pew, pew
“Oh, f&$#, f&$#,f&$#!!!”
Pew,pew.
Pew, pew.

And 7 misses. :zipper_mouth_face:

7 Likes

In Ayoob’s class he gives very specific evidence and testimony that successful shooters in real events, primarily police officers, actually do have time to and do use their sights.

5 Likes

Exactly

I have a number of Mas’ books and have watched content in video from as well (through ACLDN and YT). He isn’t the only one sharing and forwarding the real world experience of many who at times are not only capable of using their sights (and fast) but in some cases remember vividly focusing on the front sight with more clarity than anything else they had ever seen in their life, and all in the blink of an eye.

It seems a recurring theme from those stories, other than attack-ending hits in a hurry, is a pattern of consistently practicing/training to pick up the sight

Other people say they don’t remember seeing the sights at all. But I propose even in those cases that doesn’t necessarily mean they didn’t, as people also don’t remember drawing their gun out of level 3 retention duty holsters (IE, they clearly manipulated those multiple retention devices whether they remember doing so or not)

6 Likes