Which stance?

Which stance do you train with?

• Bladed
  • Weaver
  • Isosceles

0 voters

Does it matter if you’re training for a self-defense situation or for a shooting competition?

1 Like

No option for multiple answers?

5 Likes

Mostly isosceles, but weaver is also used by me (precise shooting)

1 Like

You forgot “gangsta”

4 Likes

Kill Shot, Kill Shot… what movie was that?

1 Like

What I can say for sure is, I won’t be in a stance in a gun battle, I’ll be on, the move, reloading, communicating and seeking cover.
Practice wise more like a modified Weaver.

3 Likes

which means “isosceles” :wink:

3 Likes

Or, if I’m stuck between a Cadillac and a fire hydrant, I could be in the “Frog Position”. Don’t get caught in the “Frog Position”.

5 Likes

While I train and practice Isoceles, I still think I"ll default to Weaver/bladed due to original muscle memory. I have been fortunate enough to avoid any situations to prove or disprove me–so far.

3 Likes

That’s not nothing. As the old saying goes, “you train as you fight,” or more soberly stated, ‘you will fight as you trained.’

It’s good to have a solid stance if you have to fight out in the open. It’s better to find cover if you can. Not a lot of commercial ranges will allow normal folks to practice firing from behind objects.

3 Likes

So true, only competition ranges allow for good movement and cover shooting!

2 Likes

Modified Weaver. I’m cross dominant.

2 Likes

Isn’t it more than that? If I go to the range and shoot at the target, taking my time, being accurate, isn’t that just getting familiar with a hand gun? If I run drills like draw and fire, 3 in 1, El presidente’, I am practicing self- defense, If I get off the X and practice multiple targets in a timed scenario is competition training?
But, by practicing them all you are training for them all.

2 Likes

Technically speaking I spend a lot of time practicing my Draw to Extended Shooting position (DSF) with lateral movement, either unsighted using Kinesthetic Aligment or sighted… I also practice shooting from unorthodox positions like sitting, laying on the ground (on my back, sides or shooting over my head) and shooting from under things. I spend a fair amount of time shooting from High Compressed Ready and one handed from my hip at the Orient point of the draw. I try to make my range outings fun! :crazy_face:

6 Likes

Whatever stance, must allow for stability and mobility.

4 Likes

How did you know word for word what I was going to say. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I MIGHT be your evil twin :rofl:

3 Likes

I use and teach a modified Isoceles (similar to a fighting stance). It is much easier to move around and more comfortable and natural. As others have stated, this is good for fundamentals and marksmanship, but defensive training requires a more non-standard shooting position, that is, the one you find yourself in when you need to fire.

I use Stress Vest with my students and run them through “Reality Based Scenarios” similar to the “Proving Ground.” Reviewing these and many surveillance videos, along with experience of being on both ends of the barrel, very few people initially take up the preferred stance (whichever they choose) and fire from whatever position they happen to be in.

4 Likes

@Thomas178 Welcome to the team. We are glad to have you. I too use a modified isosceles/fight stance. I find my that my peripheral vision is less obstructed.

1 Like

Weaver… with Isosceles as a backup or secondary.

Picked up the Weaver back in the 80s.

2 Likes