Which stance?

Modified Weaver/Isosceles. Sometimes called a fighting stance.

2 Likes

Late reply, but I hope you try other stances and see which works best for you. Practice (dry fire) for a while until you can weigh the positives/negatives on even basis.

2 Likes

After two years and 1 month after my first answer, I say - I train modified fighting stance.
It’s isosceles from hips to head and weaver from hips to toes with extra leaning front for better recoil management . :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I stand how I stand. I walk how I walk. I run how I run.

A little blading where appropriate, a little forward lean generally.

Movement is huge.

Flat footed squared off is not what I want, other than that, what’s natural

3 Likes

That is almost exactly how my stance has ended up. I also keep a little flex in my knees with my right foot slightly behind my left. As always, these things end up being a work in progress.

3 Likes

Are you a righty or a lefty? If you are a righty, and you are hit, having right foot behind the left one may cause you to fall.

2 Likes

I had not thought about that. I am a righty. I do believe I will switch that up then. Thanks sir!

2 Likes

That’s how the stance built up by itself.
At the beginning I used isosceles, because everyone was taking about it. Then I found beaver better for precision.
Neither one worked good in dynamic situations and my body dictated me what to do.
It’s still not typical fighting stance, it’s close to it. When reacting to the threat I square my hips toward it, move my opposite foot forward and bend it in the knee. Whatever stance it is… it’s been working the best for me.

2 Likes

I’ve adopted the full John Wick with a pencil in my pocket as a backup… :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I train a lot using one hand, but I also train with two hands. One never knows what kind of situation is going to present itself. I miss my old police range which permitted all kinds of scenarios which would be impractical and maybe dangerous on an indoor range with regulated firing lanes.

1 Like

I traded in my pencil for a pen. It might not penetrate as well as a sharpened pencil but is a little less prone to breaking when you don’t use it just right;)

But more seriously, after I started my martial arts training last year and saw how much easier it was to disarm an extended firearm than one held in close retention, I started practicing a little bit with the CAR system that John Wick uses in the movie. Think it has some advantages when the threat is within easy grabbing distance. It definitely messes up my instructor a little bit when he tries to demonstrate a take away technique and I instinctively blade my body with the pistol in close retention.

2 Likes

Oh I spend a lot of time shooting from my High Compressed Ready position. If anyone is near me the gun ain’t coming out of the garage just to go bang :rofl:

2 Likes

I consider myself as a realist. Your stance is depicted by your surroundings and the events going on around yourself. Too many to cover them all. Get it? Cover and concealment. No high noon moments. Remember it is better shoot from the side of an object than it is over the top of an object.

2 Likes

But most of my training starts in the isosceles stance. Then it is quickly modified from there depending on individual circumstance. If needed I could pull the trigger from the time I rotate towards the target clearing the holster. If I can get too high ready position I’m most comfortable but anywhere from the time the holsters cleared and the muzzle is rotated towards the target.

1 Like

So, I’ll drop this one here. one of the BEST trainers I’ve ever worked with and a guy who has worn out a lot of t-shirts tells his students that he doesn’t stress much about grip and stance as long as you’re shooting well enough to score the hits you need to score and you are safe handling a firearm.

Blasphemy right?!?!?!?

When challenged he will stand straight up, pull up his left leg and rest his left foot on his right knee so he’s now standing in a crazy yoga like position, then he places his handgun upside down in his hand and puts his pinky on the trigger and proceeds to ring the steel on a human silhouette target at 50 yards. He can do this over and over again.

Showmanship?

Sure.

Effective at getting a point across? You bet’cha…

NOW, if he notices that something you’re doing violates sound fundamentals and is affecting your shooting he WILL take the time to work with you and offer ways to correct it.

3 Likes

This is why I don’t spend much time anymore worrying about my body position. In a self defense situation I plan to be either moving or behind cover. In either case I’m unlikely to be able to get into a specific stance. I’d rather have my body get used to shooting from imperfect positions during practice than have it need to get into a perfect stance to make accurate hits in a dynamic confrontation.

3 Likes

There have been a few times when I’ve been out in the woods and had someone compliment my [insert name here] position that I’ve taken. They thought I was some sort of advanced rifle nerd, but I merely found a comfortable shooting position. It’s funny how every 5° bend of an arm or leg gets a new “shooting stance” name.

4 Likes

That was kool sir. GREAT REFESHER COURSE SIR :feather::feather:

Yes SIR DONT FORGET THE PENCIL . :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::feather::feather:

Weaver/modified Weaver for me, with a handgun.

2 Likes