Is the Constitution a right or a privilege

@Burdo is correct! The article I wrote is for those that already own guns and understand the meaning of the 2nd Amendment. We will not convince anti gun groups, or even some gun owners that any law is an infringement, by ounding our chest and jumping up and down and screaming “it’s my right!”. I say this as someone that grew up shooting guns. I have been an avid hunter all my life. I started shooting when I was 6. I shot skeet and trap competition as well as 22 Pistol and riles silhouette competition. When I decided to get my carry permit I was extremely perturbed that I had to “waste” an entire day and pay some guy $100 for “government approval” to exercise my God given right! By the end of the day, I realized there was a lot I didn’t know about Self-defense and firearms. I came home that night and told my wife I was going to become a firearm instructor. Today as a full time firearms instructor, I have trained over 10,000 students and have been very fortunate to train with the best instructors in the country. If we are going to secure our 2nd Amendment freedoms for generations to come we are going to have to be well trained and educated on the facts. When we are confronted with 2A issues must be able to articulate our position with both logici and passion without being confrontational.

For example…

Do you know facts about gun related deaths? How many are true homicides vs suicide? How many homicides are committed with long guns vs handguns vs knives, fist feet hands, ect. When someone says to you “we should ban all assault rilfes” can you calmly and correctly present them with facts? Did you know that the CDC in a recent report (that the news media buried) estimates there are at least as many defensive gun uses by good guys as there are by criminals, and states defensive gun uses could be as high as 3 million times a year. That is 8,000 times a day that a law abiding gun owner uses a firearm to prevent a crime 99% of the time without ever having to fire a shot.

We may also have to appeal to their sense of compassion. Take a few minutes to read this!

After more than a decade of training civilians, Millitary and Law Enforcement I can promise you that most gun owners, including Millitary and LEO are not proficient with firearms, especially handguns. Most Millitary personnel rarely shoot handguns, and the average police officer only shoots about 50 rounds about twice a year in qualifcations. In today’s world every mistake we make is going to be amplified in the media. If they will jump to conclusions and report false or misleading facts about police, who are supposed to be the most highly trained, htink of what they will do to average citizens who have less training.

6 Likes
  1. carry firearms.

2. wear or display a coat of arms,This is what to Bear Arms Mean.

2 Likes

Gratitude. Good story about the Range, that young lady reminded me of my mother.

I did sense from my Permit instructors similar care and passion in their imparting valuable lessons on safety and staying legal. Thank you for joining their ranks.

I can see the Constitution and the 2nd Amendment still having great meaning; In part as shoulders upon which we stand, but I can also see that today, newer and different laws can and have been written since then (in spite of the 2A); And “it’s those laws” we end up needing to follow, no matter that the 2A still thankfully exists.

Appreciate the 1787 2A for its context, at the time, taking up arms for independence as a new country. For its time, I’m hard pressed to see its meaning for anything other than just that, a militia for independence. I could not believe those founders foresaw the use we have for firearms today. The words of the 2A don’t mention self-defense, sport, or hobby. Today it’s that and a multi-million+ dollar industry and business.

I’ll also try to stay aware of how I can support our laws honorably as they relate to our freedoms. Best to you all.

1 Like

Another fine example of government overreach and unconstitutional law making.

3 Likes

The only reason we have to have a drivers’ licenses is our great-grandparents gave up freedom for safety!

Horses could trample people, but no one ever gave a thought to licensing horse riders!

3 Likes

Great article and video. I hope she didn’t have to use what she had learned that night -or any night to come. At the least, she left with more confidence and belief in her abilities, thanks to you. The picture of her target IS fuzzy but every one of those hits would ruin somebody’s day (life?), Kudos.

1 Like

That’s crazy

1 Like

Burdo, as you state we do need to follow the laws that are present on the books. When you state you are hard pressed to see it’s meaning for anything other than a militia for independence. And i agree there is no mention of self-defense, sport, or hobby. The Bill of Rights was a listing of liberties not granted, but human rights that existed prior to the constitution. And it does say “the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed”. And within the preamble “secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity” Unlike today they spoke plain and they also made sure the common man could read and understand the Constitution and Bill of Rights. Whereas to day they smoke screen everything so you cannot understand what they are doing.

4 Likes

The first 10 Amendments to the Constitution of the United States of America is called The Bill of Rights, not Bill of Privileges. Any, and I do mean ANY, gun control laws are a direct violation to the United States Constitution Second Amendment, stating, " A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State , the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED." ANY gun control laws would be an act of infringement and should be deemed UNCONSTITUTIONAL!!!

2 Likes

The Right to Bear Arms is not GRANTED by the constitution. The 2nd amendment prohibits government from infringing on that right.

It is why many say that “all gun laws are unconstitutional”.

1 Like

Edward228, I’m 100% in agreement with you.

Hello and welcome @Edward228 @JUAN40

It is backing up our God given right to self protection so it’s a right. I know it has been portrayed by some that it is just a privilege but it’s not.

4 Likes

You are 100% correct man! I’ve always said that being forced to obtain a license in order to carry an inanimate object that you already legally own, means you are literally purchasing your liberty back from the government. Liberty in which the government doesn’t have the power to grant in the first place. Liberty is only taken, never given. Kinda like how property taxes are basically the same as renting the property that you already own, back from the government. When the Sopranos do that its called extortion. When the government does it, it’s called taxes. Every liberty that has been TAKEN from us over the years, has to be TAKEN BACK by we the people.That is the only we we retain and reclaim OUR liberties. Have a good weekend y’all. Stay armed and prepared. God bless all my fellow armed citizens.

3 Likes

Perfect way of stating the truth

3 Likes

You are absolutely correct, brother T.J1, I could not have stated that any better than you did, thank you

2 Likes

My dear brother Kevin, the ones that think it’s a privilege are called : Liberals

2 Likes

Good point kind colleague. Appreciate it. I guess in my belief, I tend to look at it in “context”, or timeline as to what could have motivated them, looking more at their having gone to war. Respect you also for your cool manner. Take care. :slightly_smiling_face:

Mr. DonJMac got a lot of responses on this subject. I’m reminded of the late 1700’s when The Colonies also felt unfair taxation, and the story of the Boston Tea Party. Messing also with their wallets, they awoke a sleeping giant who had no end to their resolve.

I kinda view The 2A as separate and distinct from today’s laws on firearms. I guess I view The Constitution more as rights than I see them as privileges, because their topics are human rights based. They have also stood the test of time.

However, the laws written today, I can see some of them having privilege qualities. You mess up, or if you are not of age, by legislation, there are certain things you cannot legally do. To not have such laws, is lawlessness, if one does not like or disagrees with said law, then work on changing it.

2 Likes

Thank you very much Burdo that is my objective
, I want everybody to think about your rights versus your privileges when it comes to guns.

3 Likes