Is it Legal to use a 12g "Flash Bang" to scare off an Attemted Burglary?

Is it legal to use “Flash Bang” 12g to scare off an attemted burglary? As it is Non-Lethal Ammunition (No Projectile), however they are still shot out of a Shotgun. I live in Rural NE Ohio. I have not done this, and haven’t (yet) seen any information about this topic in the “Ask an Attorney” Series. We only have two Sheriff Officers assigned to this part of the county.

3 Likes

I would say a flash bang can affect you as well.

Plus, the guy on the other end does not know it’s a non-lethal and might just use a lethal round in self defense or spray shots back after being flashed.

7 Likes

To me, it just doesn’t seem like a great idea.

Is this going to be a dedicated shotgun that only ever gets non-projectile ammo, ever, that is clearly labeled/marked, so there is never any confusion whatsoever, that what you are holding is not lethal force?

If not, I think the potential for mistake should be apparent.

And, if so, are you really wanting to be confronted by a burglar/home invader (and likely a buddy or two he brought along), while holding an ineffective tool/weapon with both hands?

If you are averse to using lethal force in defense of yourself/family in the event of a home break in, personally, I’d suggest a big can of pepper spray…like maybe a 13 oz Sabre home defense, and work on the plan of running out the proverbial (or literal) back door after hitting them with it and getting as far away as possible.

IF you keep going in the ask an attorney series, and get to where they talk about pepper ball guns, guns that launch pepper balls and, well, look like guns, you’ll find they are both, including Tom Grieve, against the idea of having something that looks like a gun, and acts like a gun, but is not an actual firearm and not lethal force.

There is nothing in ask an attorney (on the Protector Academy, I haven’t watched all of them on YouTube yet) directly to this that I can recall. But, I’ll bet you both Kevin and Tom would not recommend a firearm that loaded with blanks for home defense

9 Likes

That makes good sense, as there are a lot of armed people out this way. I also believe that most of them do not have the level of training and practice a through the USCCA and NRA courses as well. Not that it matters in the case of return fire! Plus. there still may be Legal issues involved, and as Tim says, “It’s Property, not a person”, and “it all depends”.
Thanks for your reply Orpackrat , good food for thought.

4 Likes

BTW, welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Excellent points Nathan. Nobody wants to have to shoot anything living, myself at least. With the one exception of defense against imminent death to oneself or loved one, or great bodily harm, no retreat possible, no alternatives. I would hunt for food if our supply chain failed. It is the very sad state of humanity that brought me here in the first place, the evils that go on and often times not enough Law Enforcement to handle it all. There is some real scary things going on right here in our country. I do thank you and the USCCA for the knowledge and training we will continue to acquire. My Father got me into sport shooting at a young age, and even before my CCW, I enjoyed time at the range. Now I have a dry-fire set-up as well.
Safety First Always!
Thanks again Nathan

2 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Mark634 , glad you could join us.

2 Likes

Thanks @Lu-Can , I am honored to be here amongst fellow Responsible Armed Americans. We really are the “Other” force the USA has to defend against an outside adversary as well. I don’t think most politicians have ever considered this fact. If we are USCCA Members, we have taken a big step forward through continued training and education to become a true Protectors, and understand the Responsibility that goes with it. You can’t beat situational based training, a real eye opener you won’t forget. Take care, and be safe out there.

2 Likes

In reality @Nathan57, IF, and that is a hypothetical question, I were to use a flash bang, there would be live rounds after in the tube ready to go for sure, but then that would be considered a “Warning Shot”, once again property is not people. I would not confront anyone outside, I would watch from a window and light him up with a 2500 Lumen Flashlight, call 911, and try to get pictures. My question arised out of the use of a perimeter alarm that uses 12g flash bangs while camping in bear country. Are you the same Nathan as in some of the training video’s?
Like you, I will do whatever is nessesary and legal to protect myself or my loved ones. I do carry OC spray if I am going somewhere outdoors where it’s use may but hopefully will never be needed. Trained in Fencing long ago, not sure I would ever need it, but a great sport. Like they say danger more often than not runs in packs.
And you are so correct,

“The potential for mistakes should be apparent”.

2 Likes

@Mark634 Welcome to this GREAT USCCA COMMUNITY, and a great place to be!

3 Likes

I have paintball equipment, pepperballs, pepper cannon, taser, pull pin smoke grenades, etc…

The only one I would ever consider using with an intruder or other such situation are the smoke grenades… If I ever came home and the door was open, I’m tossing in a smoke grenade. If I need cover to retreat, it’s thick smoke and works well for that. If in an enclosed space, it becomes hard to breath quickly, I’m been in the smoke enough, I’m used to it fairly well under stress…

The pepperballs and such, I don’t even think about when going out even just into the woods.

If I am in fear for my life or my families safety, trouble will be at the end of my barrel that can stop the immediate threat if called upon. Not going to risk mine or my families safety by using a non-lethal.

I pray I never have to be in the situation to even draw my firearm but if I’m forced too, the threat has already forfeit their safety by being a threat, not risking a non-lethal to give them another chance at being a threat to my family or myself… They made their choice…

6 Likes

Happy Anniversary @Orpackrat

2 Likes

Great question! Flash and clear! Welcome to the table.
Sounds like a warning shot to me, warning shots don’t deter, they just piss off burglars and prosecutors! If you’re in fear for your life and felt the need to draw a weapon, better make it count and stop the threat.

Anything is legal if you can get away with it! Just kidding, that’s not legal advice. I’ll throw in an emoji just to be sure no one takes that seriously :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Welcome aboard @Mark634

3 Likes

Don’t know, but if it’s possible to charge someone with armed robbery using a replica gun, I suspect one should refrain from using a “blank” round unless circumstances justify using lethal force.

1 Like

I’m not really familiar with flash bag rounds, would you set your house on fire?

1 Like

The Flash Bangs are for outdoor use only! They are primarily used in Animal Control and for Perimeter Trip-Wire alarms, with the proper training and knowledge of the equipment.

3 Likes

What type of Smoke Grenades do you use that would NOT catch your house on fire? The idea of Smoke as Concealment has been around a long time, I was just curious about what type would be safe to use in a situation as you described. Thanks for your input on this topic.

1 Like

Scares the P out of attempted.

1 Like

Enola Gaye Smoke Grenades, often fount at paintball and airsoft stores, they are pull pin, you have to yank the pin perpendicular to the body of the smoke grenade.

There is a spark and flame out the end momentarily when ignited but after that it is a cold burn smoke grenade that you can hold in your hand for the entirety of the burn time…

https://www.google.com/search?q=enola+gaye+smoke&client=ms-android-att-us-revc&prmd=svixn&sxsrf=APq-WBu365f4P9coqEOfxpXXPrdade3knQ:1643418219653&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=2ahUKEwjY6cv54dX1AhX-BGMBHTcsBi0Q_AUoAnoECAIQAg&biw=412&bih=753&dpr=2.63#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:8a3c4ffb,vid:vRQJ7dkqh9U,st:0

The Burst ones are the new ones, put smoke out even faster.

1 Like