Is it Legal to use a 12g "Flash Bang" to scare off an Attemted Burglary?

I have no experience with the product, but yeah — you could end up with that problem.
Enola Gaye Risk Assessment and Product Use Guidance

2 Likes

Just because it’s legal does not mean it is wise!

5 Likes

For the hard to buy person on your shopping list. https://fithops.com/
This is not a debate on legality or morality. Just putting the info out to anyone interested. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Just so happens I have the Perimeter Trip Alarm using 12g blanks. Generally used when camping way out. Yes, it will scare away a bear! If we ever have a SHTF situation it would be set up around the house for sure.
Scares them and gets you ready real quick if that goes off.
Those “Bang Cans” are pretty slick too although they sure are expensive, and limited situations that it could be used in a defensive scenario.

3 Likes

Be careful with booby traps… there are legal issues there. On the flash bang thing, if I were in my home and someone was breaking in, I’m not going to spend time messing around. Especially when the tactic could effect me as well. If it were me, I’d go to the back 40 and do some testing. I would load one at a time, shoot one to see if it effects me in open air, then go to the barn and punch one towards the dirt, and see how it affects me before I utilize it under stress in a potentially deadly scenario. Never use an untested method when your life is depending on it.

4 Likes

Welcome aboard!

The widely accepted rule of thumb is no warning shots.

I like the idea of a perimeter warning device / bear deterrent noise maker but cringe at the thought of using indoors or in a firearm.

garden-gnome-with-claymore-mine

1 Like

A “Flash-bang” shot shell would never be used indoors, that thought cringes me too! The original idea behind this topic is an outdoor situation, rural area, like someone trying to break into one of your outdoor buildings on your property. I agree with the law, no warning shots. This is purely a hypothetical situation where you are letting them (the perpetrator) know the No Trespassing sign means business.
Great comments from the group, a lot of ways to look at the issue. Staying within the law should be paramount, next to protecting innocent lives in a critical situation. Would like to hear it discussed on one of the “Ask an Attorney” course series.

2 Likes

No one has been hurt, no one has charged, check your local listings. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thanks Bruce26, I have seen the first video on YouTube. The other two are quite interesting. It is amazing the guy who had to rig all those packages, has video and no police were involved, at least not that the reporter had said anything about. Love that sprinkler idea for repeat offenders, at least it was just water!

2 Likes

I like the sprinkler, but it should have a permanent dye in the water :wink:

Some of the channels You Tube. Guys have built non lethal trip wire systems using training grenade spoons drilled out and nailed to a tree that use 209 shot shell primers. The are some factory made ones that also use 209 shotgun primers. Mainly all these would do is alert you ans startle the trespasser. But Its always good ask questions of an attorney anyway. Check out Sooch00 You tube

1 Like