Insurance for firearms instructors

I have a question whats the best thing to get as a firearm instructor and good for taxes should I get (s corp or LLC.

You should investigate instructor insurance through USCCA Delta Defense, Firearms Trainers Association, Lockton Insurance (the one used and promoted by NRA), and a general insurance agent.

As for deciding among a simple sole proprietorship, an LLC, or incorporating a company, that is a complex issue that should be decided with the advice of a tax accountant CPA. I know many instructors form LLCs, but given the size and nature of your planned business, you may be in a different situation. Remember, the business formation is subject to both Federal and State laws.

Personally, my business is very new and very small, so I formed an LLC to segregate my personal assests (home, cars, etc.) from the LLC assets.


How would a liability release form be received by your customers? Would the release form do away with liability protection or at least lower the cost?

Every responsible instructor insists that every customer or student sign a liability release waiver form. There is no protection against being sued or against having liability because of the form. However, a signed form is evidence. Should you be sued that the student knowingly entered into the instruction in a risky dangerous situation. My particular instructor insurance company has a form that must be signed by all of my students for my coverage with them to involve that class and that student.


I used to participate in a very risky sport and had to sign a waiver that took all responsibility off the national org, local club, any manufacturer and land owner forever and didn’t let any family sue either. It also held a reimbursement clause.

You are correct, you would still have to go to court which isn’t cheap.

Start with some legal advice. Individuals pay taxes, LLCs and s Corps do not, their owners do. Insurance expenses are simply the cost of doing business that reduce the net income that an LLC or S Corp passes to its owner(s).

1 Like

Sounds suspiciously like every waiver I sgned when I was flying hang gliders.

That’s the one. I used to fly WA state at Dog mtn, Tiger and Rampart. Rampart wae fun because now and again navy f-16s would come screaming by low.

All of our fighters and all of the students at our gym have to sign them.

Craig, where do you teach?

I was an east coast pilot from '96 to 2018. Flew Virginia, Pennsylvania, Maryland a lot, with a few flights in Florida, Arkansas, and one on Maui and one in California. Sold all my gear in 2018, but recently re-upped with USHPA to preserve my H3 rating, in case I stumble across a school to get a flight in on their gear.

I am teaching in Arkansas now.

1 Like

Pulse was my first glider too, loved it. It would almost tow behind a dragonfly also hands off. Wish I never would’ve sold it. Best glider I ever had. My last was the large MR-700 topless. For those reading, topless is a glider without a king post with wires training down to the rear of the sail.

1 Like

The common misconception is that there is a choice between being an LLC and an S-Corp.
The truth is that you can, and maybe should, be both at the same time.
An LLC is what the IRS calls a “disregarded entity” for tax purposes. This means that you structure your company as an LLC, but pay taxes as either a Sole Proprietor (Schedule C) or as an S Corp.
Unless your business income is considered passive (such as rents or royalties) the tax advantage in having an S-Corp is that you can lower the amount of Social Security and Medicare taxes you pay. As a Sole Proprietor, you pay self-employment taxes, which is both halves of the FICA and Medicare tax. As an S-Corp, you must hire yourself as a W-2 employee at a reasonable salary and pay those taxes on the salary only. The remainder of your business income is taxed as a profit, which is not subject to FICA and Medicare.
So, the answer to your question is both.