Protecting your assets - instructor insurance

I have some questions for the group:

1. If you’re an instructor, do you carry liability insurance for your classes? If so, does it include “professional liability” (not just protection from firearms-related litigation)? I’d like to hear how you determined what coverage to buy.

2. If you’re teaching and have set up a small business to use for this purpose, how did you structure it? I.e., sole-proprietorship, LLC, etc. Why? Did you transfer your personal firearms used for training to the small business for an extra layer of protection?

1 Like

Liability insurance is a wise idea, and may be required by ranges you teach through. I have both general liability and errors and omissions coverage for my engineering work. Before I teach I’ll add firearms instructor coverage.

We have an s-Corp and it already covers teaching activities, so it’ll go under there. Might set up a separate DBA for the company to use, something firearms or safety oriented.

2 Likes

Good info, Zee. Thanks.

As I’ve been reviewing various policies for instructor insurance, it gets complicated. You can find firearms instructor insurance. You can find non-firearms instructor insurance. You can find some that cover mixed instruction, but there are some severe caveats and exclusions. And then when you start a business, you have to consider insurance for that entity.

I’m hoping to get some time with an attorney soon, and I will be leveraging the info gleaned from responses here to inform my discussion. And I’ll share his answers!

2 Likes

Someone in my instructor training class suggested these folks:
https://oigcorp.com/services/
Their prices sound comparable to what I pay for engineering consulting

BTW, attorney consultation is an excellent plan.

1 Like

Here’s another one that has firearms instructor insurance
Https://Www.jcinsco.com
Premium about $380