Instructor Notes: "Well that just makes me feel uncomfortable"

Hey @Paul201 , I understand what you’re saying and not to diminish the training or expertise of police officers, ccw & military, but there is a specific discipline and training for crowd and dense gathering protection with regard to assault engagement.

Most military very well may not have this training. Their job in most cases, is for training in battlefield engagement. I’ve trained current and former military (battlefield engagement personnel, as well as non-combat support military) on HOW security and they acknowledge it is completely different (out in civi world) than what they were originally trained for.

Police/LE, many have no dense crowd training. Many have no formal training beyond an annual qual. Yes, there are departments and agencies that provide and require additional ballistic response against violent encounter training. (i.e. the LE that sat at the back of a church that we used to be congregants of, had NO firearms training.)

CW, these are the wildcards so to speak. We address this issue most seriously. What we must avoid in a HOW during and dynamic critical incident is what we refer to as a “pop up”. This is a congregant who may have a CW/LTC and has no training nor has been involved with our EOP and just pops up and could discharge their firearm without regard to what/who is around or beyond their target during a DCI.

In conclusion, I appreciate your post above as it was a great segway for the comments I made.

USCCA has updated their HOW and MS curriculum and addresses many more of these important issues

4 Likes

Thanks for your understanding and input to the post. The right training is key. thanks