I'm Crushed: Curly Niel died today

With all the other things going on in the world this pulled me up short. I’m not a big sports guy (except NASCAR) and really don’t like basketball but the first “Professional” Basketball gave I ever saw was the Harlem Globetrotters against some college team from Indiana. We’re talking 1977 ish and after the game I got to meet him. He was just this fountain of energy and good will. He laughed loud and easily. God speed his soul he will be remembered and cherished. Our world is diminished at his loss.

Cheers,

Craig

10 Likes

Yep, lost a good one.

3 Likes

Yep, I remember the original Globe Trotters when I was a kid and loved them. The came to my town once but I never got to see them live. I did watch a lot of the Harlem Globe Trotters cartoon though to make up for it, lol. Loved those guys…and Curly was my favorite (ever over Meadowlark). :slight_smile:

RIP Curly Niel.

2 Likes

Sorry to learn this. I loved watching them as a kid. RIP…

1 Like

@JamesR LOL, I remember seeing a video of the Globe Trotters w/ Meadow Lark Lemon standing there dribbling the ball and being as PG-13 as possible pointing to a very pregnant woman on the sidelines "I know where you been!! I know where you been!! My two sons grew up on Scooby Doo and that was their intro to the Globe Trotters alas they never saw them live but did see the Lady Globe Trotters when they came to Hawaii, same hi jinx just with girls.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

I saw the Globetrotters live as a kid. Curly and Meadowlark Lemon were the show.

3 Likes

The world is a better place because of Curly Neal. RIP.

3 Likes