Meeting real heroes

I imagine that there are some heroes in disguise that are apart of this community that don’t speak out on what they have done or do for a living. I had a chance to meet some classy and savage people in the service for the 6 years I was in. My profile picture is even when I got to meet Woody Williams himself the day after Christmas 2019 at my work. Needless to say I jumped up and didn’t even know what to say to the man, other than thank you. But I just wanna say thank you to everyone who’s been in service or is still currently serving and even our boys and girls in blue wearing a badge. If anyone has gotten the chance to meet a real American hero like the flamethrower Woody Williams, let’s hear it.

4 Likes

I have had the privileged an honor to not only meet but become friends with the late GYSGT Carlos Hathcock, Jr. (and his boy Sonny, also a GYSGT). He was a living legend in VA Beach among the High Power community and for snipers in general when snipers weren’t cool. Sadly MS took him from us much too soon. I credit him with getting me out of a very dark time in my life when no one but someone like him could understand.

I had the honor to introduce my Dad to him at an event, I didn’t know it at the time but they were in the same line of work in Vietnam and had heard of each other. I sat there stunned listening to them reminisce about their time “over there” and “stuff”. “Gunny” knew more about my Dad than I did at the time. I found out FROM Gunny that my Dad was a no $h!t for real bad a$$ and a legend in his own right.

To put this in context I “met” my Dad for the first time when I was 20 years old traveling from Norfolk, VA to Oakland, CA for a school after stopping to “meet” my Grandmother in Indiana going to another school. My parents divorced when I was 3 and there was no contact. All I knew was that my Dad was a crazy Marine. Now I know the why and the wherefore. My Dad is also on my hero list as well as a good friend.

Cheers,

Craig6

7 Likes

Carlos Hathcock was a legend. Even Chris Kyle credited him to being the greatest sniper to ever live.

3 Likes