Hypothetical situation: Do you use lethal force to help a stranger?

I would look at the backdrop making sure no innocent people get hit and then take the shot. If they come to me i draw if they dont have a gun drawn on me if they do i wait till they look away then do what needs done depending on were they are and were im at is what would tell me what i need or can and cant do

Here’s a great video about defending others from our Ask an Attorney series:

4 Likes

I would try to see what’s going on, call 911, I’m not 1 to intervene in others business unless I absolutely know what’s going on to many factors involved I would maybe try to settle the situation down till help arrived

2 Likes

We watched a video of an abduction. Several people walking in the area just kept on walk-in mining their own business. After getting more information about a woman being shoved in a van by several people it became clear. The girl that appeared to be abducted was actually being apprehended by her family. She was under age and apparently wrapped up into something scary.

2 Likes

Great video Dawn. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, let them have the money, or the purse, whatever, my mind set is a little different I suppose. What happens between men is what it is, but what I absolutely cannot stand for is for a woman or a child to be victimized, I have absolutely no tolerance for that at all. I would lay down right now, I would forfeit my life right this second to save a woman, or especially a child without a second of hesitation, I would do this with a full heart and with no regrets at all. Women and children have a real special spot in my heart, I have my reasons for this way of thinking, and it’s not the mind set for everyone. Children are so innocent, their little hearts are pure and should have every chance to go onto being an adult, if the situation arises, and they’re life is being threatened, I will do whatever is needed.

2 Likes

I 100% agree with giving them the money, purse, whatever @Steve-G. Have you ever heard of the shark tank analogy?

You’re at the aquarium looking at the sharks from above an open tank (I know the tank would never be open, just play along :wink: ). Your small child is on your shoulders, leans forward and falls in. Do you jump in and save them? Hell yes!

Same scenario minus the child. You’re taking pictures of the shark with your new cell phone and drop it, do you jump in to save it? Hell NO! There may be some swearing involved, but I’m not getting in with the sharks to save my phone.

I’m less inclined to step into a situation when it’s another adult female unless I know for sure what is going on. Unfortunately a lot of battered women will defend their abuser against someone who steps in to protect the woman. There are times it’s better to be a good witness than it is to get involved. (The severity of the situation also plays into this decision.)

4 Likes

I agree Dawn, I’ve actually been involved with a similar situation when I lived in the city. I saw a guy beating his girl relentlessly, I mean he was pounding her, he dragged her into an alley by her feet, her head was dragging on the ground. I ran like the wind, lol, to stop him, he swung at me and I gave him a taste of what he was handing out, she gets up and starts pounding on me. Couldn’t believe it, I said, you deserve each other and I left. Crazy world. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yup! And she would have testified against you if it came to that. I feel so badly for abused women who cannot break the cycle. It takes so much strength to just survive the cycle, leaving it is an act of faith and strength that a lot of people search for their whole life.

1 Like

And if they do try to get away, they will get punished for it, because “I love you so much, can’t you see that?” They’re so socked into it, it’s the only way of life they knowbecause it’s been pounded into them, it’s a pretty tough situation. I use to throw down at the drop of a hat when I was a young buck, I just would never tolerate a man hitting a woman, not on my watch, now I’m older and I can’t really keep up like I use to. I’m not saying I can’t still throw down if I had to, I still have some grease in those gears. I just have to step back now, maybe call the cops instead.

4 Likes

i follow and support the view point of the USCCA on this one

That is a heck of a situation to have to be in…

1 Like

So this reminds me of a situation that happened where I used to work. We had a guy wailing on his girlfriend, being security we have to get involved. So two of us take this guy down and as we’re slapping him in cuffs the girlfriend picks up a chair and knocks my partner out cold in one shot, then comes after me.
They both had a nice ride to lockup. The “victim” can always turn on you, it happens a lot in abusive relationships.
I know how I would handle a situation like that in the future, but not everybody gets to experience it first hand. Just my two cents, hopefully it helps somebody make the right decision for them.

5 Likes

What if the assailant is unarmed, attacking another person, and you are not trained in self defense or have never actually been in a fist fight before? Still not use your firearm?

1 Like

There’s always something you can use as a weapon even if it is a case of beer across the back of the head. I always carry a knife so if it’s basically hand to hand you can always try and get the guy.

2 Likes

That makes sense. I just have a hard time seeing myself doing nothing in that situation, but I would be nervous trying to take him on with my hands. Now if there were more than 1 unarmed men, I may pull out my firearm, since they have the advantage.

2 Likes

Yeah I mean you just have to read the situation. I’m sure there are videos on the USCCA YouTube page about it. If you haven’t been in a fist fight, or are interested in learning to fight, I would look for a boxing gym or any self defense class for adults.

2 Likes

This probability has been addressed in previous USCCA training. Preventing great bodily harm or death to another human being IS a moral responsibility.
Seeing that the subject already is threatening the victim with a deadly weapon, I would, as inconspicuously as possible, find available cover, draw my sidearm and take aim at the subject, THEN advance toward the subject while issuing verbal commands to drop the weapon. Tell a bystander to call 9-1-1. KNOWING what/who is behind the subject, I might be forced to use deadly force ( IF the victim is not in the line of fire). Do NOT back down unless ABSOLUTELY necessary to preserve innocent life. Make certain subject’s weapon is secured. Call USCCA Critical Response Team once LE is on scene.

1 Like

If the assailant is unarmed and attacking another person, there are a few things to consider. The sizes, ages, health of the attacker and the person being attacked.

If a 6’ 6" young, very healthy man is attacking a 5’5" elderly, frail-looking man or woman - and beating them even if it’s just with his fists - that can be considered an imminent danger of death or grave bodily harm.

If they are of equal size, strength, shape I’d be on the phone with 911 and getting police help to the scene.

Also - and this one is huge - do you know how the fight started and who the innocent party is? Is there an innocent party?

If a woman starts using her purse to beat a man and he takes it away from her and throws it across the room - the woman cannot cry that she’s been robbed. Or if she starts beating on him with her fists and he grabs her arms to stop her from hitting him, she cannot cry self-defense as she was not an innocent party and actually started the incident.

5 Likes

However you choose to intervene, understand that you MUST be able to control the situation from the moment you step in to the moment LEO’s arrive. By stepping in you are accepting responsibility for everything that happens from that moment forward. Are you prepared for that? If you have any doubts then you are better off calling 911 and being a good witness by relaying everything that goes on. It’s never going to be as simple as stepping in and everything stops (such as an unarmed assailant), at work I have the advantage of a group of trained individuals backing me up, out on the street I’m on my own. You are on your own unless you’re with friends/family. Understand that any “backup” that arrives to “help” may not interpret you as the “good guy/gal” in that situation.

Yeah, my post isn’t much help. I made it to provoke critical thinking. In a world where digital likes and shares drive what information spreads and what doesn’t, an edited cellphone video making YOU look like the bad guy in the situation is likely to happen.

My advice is to go over possible scenario’s in your head, decide how you would react and how you will get LEOs to know and understand you aren’t the bad guy/gal. Be prepared for it to not go as you plan in your head, especially keep in mind that a prosecutor is going to use everything he/she can against you, even a comic book symbol on your clothes. (Punisher, Deadpool, you have hero fantasies, etc etc)

2 Likes

Lots of good questions to consider. Thank you.

2 Likes

I tell people to remember the people who depend on them. If you get in the middle of something and it goes sideways, who’s gonna take care of your kids, spouse, etc? You need to think about everything before the situation presents itself and weigh your options and obligations. Sounds cold, but sometimes it’s better to be a good witness than trying to put a “S” on your chest.

2 Likes