Hunter Dies After Deer Turned on Him

5 Likes

Thanks, @MikeBKY, I really needed that laugh!

It got my whole day started. Scripture tells us that laughter doeth good like a medicine(Prov. 17.22).

3 Likes

I think this article.was fake news, in hindsight.

Are am I just over cautious?

1 Like

I couldn’t find the caliber used in the above story, or where the shot placement was, if it was JHP, or FMJ.

Someone else had previously posted this caliber range below, related to “game”. I saw another chart which broke it down even further for deer, I think whitetail.

This topic might cross over to another, about if legally allowed to have a second firearm or side arm, which should you carry as back up. Just got me thinking it should be enough to take the game with, in case of an emergency.

Check out these last two attachments as well. They rate deer calibers as being not enough, Goldilocks sweet spot, and too much.

Several game, and related calibers:

Deer calibers comparison:

https://www2.illinois.gov/dnr/hunting/Documents/IlSingleShotRifle.pdf

2 Likes

Illinois….:roll_eyes:. So a single shot rifle is ok now but a lever rifle in the same caliber is not. THAT makes a lot of sense (it must to somebody​:smirk:). Yet another reason I’m glad I left 36 years ago. At that time my .58 Enfield was legal for deer, as was a Knight inline muzzleloader with conicals but my .54 cap and ball Sharps was not because it was, you know, a breach loader. The “logic” of Illinois’ politicians never ceases to amaze me.

2 Likes

A lever gun, with the magazine follower and spring removed, or in the case of a Henry the mag tube removed, is considered a “single shot at the time of hunting” rifle.

1 Like