How Many People Live in Condition White?

I work in that city and totally agree! The students are allowed to walk anywhere and everywhere. If you’re driving on campus YOU have to be in “Condition Orange”, at the least. Usually once or twice a year a student (pedestrian) gets hit by a city bus, usually because they walked out in front of it, or INTO THE SIDE OF THE BUS! Tragically, a few years ago a student walked into the side of the REAR section of an articulated bus and was killed! The bus driver was fired…

At the time of my post, the pole has “Greater than 75%” in CONDITION WHITE. I was thinking that these are the morons who vote OBLIVIOUSLY also… then I see that you beat me to it…:joy:. I totally agree!

1 Like

I like them! I can hear more noises I didn’t with my in ear buds. You still don’t have full hearing but if you want to listen while you are out, these are a great option. I pull them off to have a conversation, but that’s pretty normal in my book.

After being attacked last year and having to work in the Chicago loop (downtown) area I am probably in condition orange, maybe borderline red especially when I’m in the city.

2 Likes

Based on a couple decades of experience both at 911 and now as a hostage negotiator. I would have to say that most people are completely unaware of their surroundings. 75% might be being nice… Picking out veterans and LE is getting fairly easy by how they walk, and where they sit. I am usually in Yellow. Put me in a crowd I go to red instantly.

1 Like

There is also this switch from Orange to Red. I am not sure how much internal resistance there is in a normal person, when they realize danger, to get over denial, and start the fight.

The other night I was getting in my car. This guy had to squeeze between me and the next car parked as he passed me. It was nothing, but - I didn’t look at his hands, I wasn’t ready for any potential hostile action. If he was a hostile, he’d take me out.

1 Like

Welcome Mark.

When I worked as a Security Supervisor at a hotel in Las Vegas, I saw many I stances of. One in example,we had a standoff with a drug crazy,who was brandishing a blade, and people would walk between us, close to the perp talking on their phone and ignoring calls to get their fannies to a safer place. Condition White on steroids. Go figure!

Simple observation of people with their phone in hand and head down. See it all day.

1 Like

More than 75, pareto principle. 80? As a adult, I can still hear my dad telling me when I was a boy to look both ways before I crossed the street. I speak of what might happen, when one casually walks down the sidewalk, anywhere town, condition oblivious, and a motorist dies at the wheel, and runs one over. I have been criticized as that circumstance would never happen, or what is the odds of that incident happening. Many moons ago, when my dad operated several school busses, I was on one of those busses where the driver had a heart failure and died at the wheel, near a school, and ran over some school kids. Luckily no fatalities other than the bus driver.
Mark174 said true of veterans and LE, picking them out is fairly easy. A concealed carrier can also be spotted. We as a family are in awareness. However as humans we are flawed, and sometimes, innocently, we let our guard down. After I work a long day, yes I am tired, my reflexes are slower.

2 Likes

Women’s babies and children, purses, and more personal items like themselves. day dreaming,
talking, Music and Ear phones, busy bodies, and flat out DO NOT CARRY and do not care about anything in their life.

2 Likes

Not too long I saw a kid texting while riding his bicycle. He went straight through a T intersection, right into the ditch.

I try to be very careful when using my cell phone in public. Usually in a locked car, or seated at a table.

3 Likes

I am permanently in Yellow at a minimum because of PTSD, only sometimes reverting to white at sleep.

2 Likes

Gees. Who cooked up this color chart??

Sadly, it reminds me too much of my years in the USArmy when some moron decided to create colors to indicate things going on…

Red—air raid warning red
Black—NBC threat
Yellow—air raid imminent.
White—all clear.

And then a smart guy observed, “gee, we really put up a white flag to signal the all clear?” “Doesn’t putting you a white flag mean something else??”

That convention was quickly cancelled.

4 Likes

I voted 50-75% based on timeline landmarks.

• Pre-9/11 ppl really didn’t have a care in the world on American soil; at least 25% points earned over the next decade with the misinformed terror war.
• Pre-2016 ppl really didn’t have a care in the world on where they gathered their news sources; at least 25% points earned over the past 4 yrs with revelation of most media is biased and reporting frequent fake news.
• Pre-Covid-19 ppl really didn’t have a care in the world on how dependent they are in/on a global market (where or how products come to the household) outside of the recent tariff wars necessity to put America back on track; the final 25% points earned for the 75% tally voted over these past 3 months with realization that govmt isn’t always holding ppl’s hands while out juggling for supplies during pandemic time(s).

• life lesson here 101: S.I.P.D.E.
Pronounced: sip-dee
S- scan
I- identify
P- predict
D- decide
E- execute

• where & how & why I learned this is due to my motorcycle safety classes I took before getting licensure to ride one. I liked this safety acronym so much, I started applying it to not only my riding time, but automobile time. Over the yrs I learned how to extend this to my self defense classes and daily activities, and even while imbibing in a tavern–but only in moderation, both the drinking and the sipde…they go hand-n-hand, no matter how much one tries to…

• decades pass by and the karate kicks seem more difficult & testosterone levels are dropping; the golden years to rely on my body to defend myself has met the realization I need to add another adult marker in my life.

• Adult marker ( ? )

• ya, I’ve got a few of them: like when I got my very first wrist watch…Damn it looked good on my arm! Decades I wore this badge with honor; only 2, maybe 3 watches I “went through”. Can you say, Casio? Oh, wait…I think my last one was a Timex.
  • then there was this time I got to announce to the whole world “I am a teenager”…with this mouthful of silver bands and loops and wire. Phase II- involved having the rubber-bands: a frequent sign indicating you’ve been wearing these braces for puberty jolt/or/two. Phase III- the retainer: a sleek, stylish, single line of adulthood, temporarily stamped on the devilish smiles frequently offered.
  • then there was this time…well it didn’t work for me, but most ppl may relate: the college degree, the marriage, the employment title, the house…
    As a whole these parts fill in the voids of adulthood for me. I try to “camp my way through life”, where I leave it a little better than before I…except plumbing, I don’t do well with plumbing.
  • then there was this time I volunteered at a pawn shop…and learned I was actually pretty smart and I don’t hafta be dogmatic about it too. Actually, being smart only requires knowing how to research. Okay, I’m at this pawn shop and see the need for me to exercise my 2nd Amendment right to own my “six seconds to safety” with FOID and a H&K PS9. I practiced this 6-seconds-safety rule only out of convenience if at all over the next decade.
  • then there was this time: I applied for my CCL this past FALL 2019 and got the card this mid FEB 2020. I’ve been fortune with timing and my selections: my EDC is a Steyr S9-A1 with Crossbreeder IWB @ 5 o’clock…belt from same place w/ awesome quick-buckle. I have a AIWB option to backup on for carry position, but not my favorite. My bakupbakup is this Cobratec OTF knife…I don’t ever wanna be this adult!
  • then there was this time: I got the gun-bug_2019, where I must know which guns I need to match with my personality (who’s kidding who? It’s the budget making these decisions…not the not-so-little-willy this time running the show…it doesn’t apply here).
    • IWI Masada with added “red dot”, but mine is green and w/ circle-n-cross hairs…(Swampfox) good for beginner, but think I’ll try Holosun next.
    • shotgun, and AR and/or AK next on the list of ownership as $$ allow, but ammo this year was a pretty hefty investment…enough for me to be adult-like this year out on the farm practicing.

• thank you, if you finished the read…now you know to S.I.P.D.E. better next time so you don’t read random stuff, like how I bought the wrong ammo: 380acp is not the same as 38 special, be sure to tell me “special” if you want “special” ammo. I tried to sell this unwanted ammo online for cost paid (bet it would have sold a month ago) Anyhoo, wrong ammo needs a home…best mistake I made getting this ammo; it led me to getting the SmithWesson M&P 380EZ for my older sibling to own and enjoy. I highly recommend this gun for weaker grasping hands. I would even enjoy it as a backup, but I think there is a limit to my bakupbakupbakup plan: foot to face, ammo, or blade…hopefully the kind stern voice I have will be enough to jolt submission on demand; if only the xFinity remote could work: submit, stop, backup, leave, go home…oh, ya, I didn’t opt for that voice-remote-listening-device.

2 Likes

I think that CODE: White is a situation that we need to get rid of. I go for walks every morning and it can be a Wal Mart (Super) store. If you do not say alert, but you can be ran over by cars, hated by people that you share the store and 96%.

The cell phone ‘appendage’ is getting worse. I spend more time telling my students to put away the cell phone and pay attention than actually teaching! ITS TERRIBLE, and in my opinion I blame the parents!

I’m sure law enforcement people would agree - more people are on their phone while driving than not. Add in the inexperienced teen - watch out.

4 Likes

I believe it was Col. Jeff Cooper developed those Color Codes for us. Many people are in the Condition that we all know well is CODE: White. Code: Yellow is necessary to know your surroundings, being alert,
awareness of the areas that you work, church, schools, and if it dangerous to be there and you know it, like an alley or South Side Chicago or New York City; STAY HOME or in a safe place. The CODE were made for the Military and they use CODE: BLACK for the RED too. ACTION !

2 Likes

Gonzo38, that is true, kids are being brain washed by cell phones. We have a dear friend that is a wonderful counselor and a firearms instructor, he says the same and all his colleagues speak the same language. Our daughters phone is now shut off. We got her a cell phone last April. grades went down, responsibilities went south. Then last fall more problems. Internet? Another brain washing, time sucking, tactic for young minds. We have a great school system, with dedicated underpaid teachers.

Our hat is off to you!

Yesterday’s experience…took the mrs Ford (her truck nicer than what I drive) over to stealership (they are good folks tho’) to have it serviced and such. As I was removing my firearm from the truck, the service dude shows up to take the mileage, as he witnesses my holstering. If he wasn’t wearing a Ford blue shirt, ….could have been an encounter. That started a good gun conversation. He stated he just bought a box of ammo and was headed to the range later after work. I spoke about “dry fire”. The look I received was priceless. The deer in the headlight look as I call it. A little later in the conversation as I was explain dry fire, and was cheaper practice than sending “one down the pipe”. The reply to me was something “at the range how do you shoot thru a pipe?” Ok, we now start from scratch, and luckily he had some time, and was appreciative of the firearm dissertation I presented. I gained a new student for a class.

3 Likes