How long is this ammo shortage going to last?

And some people still laugh at the Prepper. Wearing his Tinfoil hat and sitting like Smaug atop their ammunition pile. :dragon:

5 Likes

I figure if I have enough that I can sell/trade some for exorbitant prices or for bits of unobtanuim and not dip in to my bunker stocks then I am ahead of the game. So if any one is really desperate and in need, I am looking for a 30-40 Krag Carbine, 1903A4, 1941 Johnson, M1C and a 1917 Colt /SW .45 revolver, all U.S. Military of course, no imports. Did I ever mention I collect U.S. Military rifles/handguns?

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

You still can, you just have to have it sent to a California FFL.
Yeah, kind of a pain and added expense.
Consider re-loading your rage ammo!

1 Like

Ammo isn’t as impossible to get at the moment like it was in early March. In fact I did get a whole case shipped to my door from LAX AMMO during the couple of days in late April that judge BENITEZ voided the CA check laws.

I’ve done the reloading thing.
Would rather just buy it these days.

2 Likes

I agree with Glock27z I’ve ordered 40 and 45 the past week. I think 9mm may still be tough to come by, but I haven’t been shopping for it. Had some delivered to my house today from SGM.

2 Likes

Here’s a great deal from today:

2 Likes

Been watching ammoseek, looks like prices are slowly creeping downwards…

3 Likes

My first visit to Cabela’s Austin since the Wuhan Flu started. They had virtually no handgun ammo. A few odd calibers, same with rifle ammo. They had plenty of shotgun.

In the gun case they were at maybe 20% stocked with the lesser popular handguns. They had maybe the same % of riffles, but plenty of shotguns.

There were only primers for large handgun and rifle. No small primers and no powder. Plenty of 223 brass but there was just a small inventory of 9. They had plenty of name brand bullets.

3 Likes

I just orders some reloading supplies from Midway (my first foray into 9mm). Bullets, primers, powder, fresh media for the tumbler, etc. They are not usually the cheapest on line, but they have fair pricing with decent sales and are very reliable. They have never waited until after I’ve paid to inform me of backorder. Bass Pro/Cabela’a are in the I’ll go there if I need it NOW zone with their prices (at least around here)

3 Likes

I was lucky enough to find some 9mm in-stock at AimSurplus, K-VAR Corp and my local Sportsmans Warehouse. I’m now looking for some 5.56 NATO. Anyone have leads on 556?

1 Like

Every ammo is available on GunBroker. The question is how much are you willing to pay for it… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
If you check it frequently, you may find good deal. You just have to be patient…

2 Likes

I read an article today about how the lead mines in the US and copper mines in South America were shut down because of Corona. They said in the article that the mines had opened back up recently. Not sure how true that is, but if it’s true it’d explain part of the ammo and coin shortage. That said, hopefully we’ll start seeing a higher supply to meet our demand.

2 Likes

If not, we are going to shoot legos then

A_20200721_02

6 Likes

I’m soooo glad I started reloading at the beginning of the year and have a pretty good supply.

Then the CovID thing hit and while people were stockpiling TP I was grabbing up ammo (I even stored up a bunch of fuel but that never became a issue)

1 Like

I remember stepping on them…I can only imagine how that would feel :pleading_face: on second thought, I’ll take a case!

3 Likes

I try not to over spend. I used to buy the 120rd Federal ammo cans at my local sportsman’s warehouse on sale for $40 with some mail-in rebate. But it seems that everywhere I look it’s either almost $1/rd which is absurd, or it’s $500 for 1000/rds.

1 Like

Yeah… we have two option these days - either pay a lot or dry fire :neutral_face:

3 Likes

For this reason I have started reloading again, and I’am finding out that the reloading industry has gotten much cheaper over the last 18 years since i stopped. I bought 0nce fired brass 100 rounds unprimed for $5.06 cents and berrys copper plated 147 grains bullets for $12.00 for 100 count at local shooting store but these can be purchased through diilionbluepress.com or bluepress.com not sure which one. Also I bought winchester 115 grain 9mm 250 count $27.00 and only $4.00 shipping. I bought 10 bags of the 9mm brass 100 per bag once fired which was 1,000 rounds came to $50 $33.00 bullets at $27.00 at 55 bullets and You cant get others cheaper lead for around $28 to $37 for 500! so do the math. Then buy your press. Within a a month all your stuff is paid for easily. I can put out 1,500 or more rounds a day with my Dillion 550c progresive reloading machine. I found out how much i really miss reloading also. Give it shot. Your saving will shock you, And your ammo load will be made to your specifications what u want and will be 80% or more accurate than store bought ammunition 2 things I left out was primers and powder. Powder is anywhere from $20 to $38 and primers $2.50 to $4.00 depends on what brand and how many per pack, powder u can get about 1200 rounds or more per bottle. Its worth reloading. Savings and your building your recipe for your shot load and hopefully loving the trade of reloading.,Any questions you may have im open to them just ask away im here or email me at jeffylee5@gmail.com thanks guys

2 Likes

I can’t say how long it’s going to last but supervel has offered anyone who buys primers to have them shipped to them they will make as much ammo as you want provided you supply all the primers. They even knock $20 bucks off to share in the cost of the primers. They typically charge $185 for a 1000 rounds of their once fired reloaded military casings. I have shot them without a single issue and my gun hates the reloaded ammo from the guy we have locally.

In there email, they stated that the primers were the reason for the shortage and they were only able to get about 25k at a time. Everytime they do get some in they were sold out in under 30s. Just food for thought I guess. If you email them, they will answer within 24 hours and walk you through the process and how it works.

3 Likes

what caliber are you shooting that your paying $185 for 1,000 rounds of brass casings once fired?

1 Like