How do you train for extreme weather?

I know some of you are enjoying an arctic blast or 10" of snow or a chilly 56 degrees - depending on where you live each are equally as challenging.

I just got done snowblowing my sidewalk and my hands were freezing! That got me thinking… I don’t know how I would have reloaded a firearm if I had to defend myself.

How do you train for weather extremes? Do you shoot at an outdoor range in the rain? How about the snow?

2 Likes

https://www.facebook.com/USCCA/videos/319368305308878/ This is how I train. This was brutal

Here’s a link for the video on YouTube:

2 Likes

I have been to the range in the rain. Haven’t had the chance to do so in the snow yet, but that’s something I’ve been wanting to do.

Come to Wisconsin today, @MrDJ! We’ve got about 8 fresh inches of snow for you to train in if you don’t have any snow where you are!

1 Like

I have trained in the rain here this summer and it was so cold I had my heated jacket on under my rain suit. I looked like a marshmallow!

What works best for me is “extreme hibernation”

1 Like

LOL! I can see that as an option, @Mike. With the heavy snow today, I didn’t venture away from home at all. But I did some dry fire training in my nice warm home. :slight_smile:

Had some snow but today’s rain melted it all. I’m sure we’ll get dumped on again before long.

1 Like

Marshmallow with a gun. I love it.

1 Like

I shot a ranges here in Minnesota in October and November, body armor but no coat… it was cold but do-able even in 20 weather… rain, sleet, and snow… all come with advantages and disadvantages… but remember if you would have a hard time reloading, so will they… that’s why I normally carry between 2 and 8 spare mags somewhere around me depending on weapon being used… with sleet, try and circle your opponent so the alerts going in their eyes or hitting them in the face atleast… rain, if it’s hard enough can cover the sound of your shoes on pavement… just don’t hit dirt trails or open patches of grass and your golden…

1 Like

lol it was either a marshmallow or the kid from a Christmas story who couldn’t put his arms down. At least I didn’t shoot my eye out!
Bitmoji Image

1 Like

My gun it held close to me, it is warmed up by me and can transfer its warmth to my digits when handled.

When I’m in a position carrying, I make it a point to try and keep myself ready. If my fingers are frozen, how do I defend myself. If my fingers are regularly cold, then I pack zippo fuel powered handwarmers to keep them warm and usable. I’m working on switching to usb powered heating pads for on demand heat. Unfortunately, this had been a mild winter so I have not needed to work on it.

Dress appropriately, dont work yourself to exhaustion, if your too tired. You can maintain control of your firearm and can be a danger to yourself and others.

1 Like

We jist had a -60 degree snap here… even disposeable handwarmers did nothing… but using natural body heat in conjunction with them was effective… so remember to go back to the basic if needed… high tech isnt always the solution… but its a solution…

1 Like

Also remember in training for cold weather, those layers of clothing are useful in concealing larger firearms. And the flip side, any potential threat, is probably dressed in thicker heaving clothing also. You might need to switch ammo types to someone with a little more penetration for effectiveness, making sure that ammo function in your firearm as it should. These 3 pictures tell the tale. Me in my winter Carhartt coat and T-shirt how I typically dress and a concealed gun. Then without the coat. Finally a picture of that revolver, and my edc 45. This revolver is 11.5 inches long, and can be concealed under a heavy coat, in a cheap holster. I need a better holster, but this one is just for hunting duty.
image image image

1 Like

Last week was -52 and today is supposed to hit 50! Love the midwest winters! :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I love snow, but I do not train it. The criminals are just going to have to wait until spring to mug me unless they want to break into my house. Now that I joined the rifle club I might go train outside in the cold.

I try to go to the range at least once in each type of typical bad weather, super hot, cold, rain and dusk to do low light practice

1 Like

Every year I take a cold weather shooting course over a 3 month period (Nov - Jan)… it is called “Pheasant Season”. :slight_smile:

I have been using Seirus gloves while hunting for years, they are warm, water proof, and most importantly they are thin enough for your fingers to have feed back. They were already part of my “winter collection” for everyday when I started to carry concealed. I can shoot, and reload with them on. My daughter even used hers for marching band in cold weather.

2 Likes

If it aint raining’, you aint trainin’. Get out there and shoot. Some incremental weather situations can be simulated, such as adjusting your clothing, soaking your hands in ice, etc… but ultimately just get out there and shoot.

4 Likes