Training in Winter

Here in Maine and in other Winter states, training in Winter is often a challenge. What do you do to overcome this challenge?

1 Like

Shoot outside when its not too miserable, indoor range (which is still cold), dry fire, and firearms maintenance. Michigan has some heavy weather, but Missouri often isn’t bad… cold, but not so much snow.

2 Likes

My biggest thing with shooting in the winter is losing the brass in the snow! When I had my own home range not as big of a deal, I would just pick it up in the spring when the snow melted. Currently, I shoot with ammo I don’t care if I lose it, or I shoot a .22lr pistol/rifle instead. Great training with all the bulk.

3 Likes

The hardest part is whipping the heavy over gear around and out of the way getting to the “heater.” After that at least your hands could get warmed up if you fire enough rounds down range. But then, that’s not training for winter deployments, that’s just shootin’.

2 Likes

I avoid the norther tier of states during the winter. :laughing:

Around here summer is the killer actually and we keep outdoor sessions brief whenever it gets over 95.

Most of self defense training is mental anyhow so there’s plenty to do indoors and of course there are near endless options for indoor firearms training as well.

2 Likes

Zee, I like your ideas . Just because the weather gets nasty - our need to train just has to be “tweaked” a little, that’s all.

1 Like

I hear what you are saying. Training in winter is easy when you have your own property and adjust your logistics as needed.

1 Like

At my range we celebrate winter and the frozen chosen with the M1 Garand.

Our ranges are legally indoor because where you shoot from are 75% covered(no smoking clear air act).

2 Likes