Hospital bag?

I was just wondering… I care for my elderly parents… and even sometimes for some friends where it’s not uncommon for them to be hospitalized for a short time due to medical conditions. I’ve been thinking about putting together a hospital bag for my family for those times where I have to head out the door to bring them to the hospital or when the ambulance comes and I want their insurance info, medications, medication lists, and doctor’s names handy, plus some overnight ammenities e.g. toothbrush, shaver, slippers, etc.

Does anyone have something like this or have a list of things to include in such a kit?

3 Likes

Toiletries (toothbrush and toothpaste, comb/brush/whatever personal hygiene items you may want to include, deodorant or whatever you use)
Lists of medications with dosage, medical issues and family health history.
Contact information for Doctors and other family members.

A small pillow you find comfortable and a blanket in case you need to stay awhile. Magazines/books/whatever you prefer to keep your mind occupied while waiting.
Spare cash for on the go meals, needs and gas.

3 Likes

I don’t have a ready-made list, but having spent some time at the hospital with my hubby lately here’s what I’d suggest:

• full change of clothes
  • comfy slippers with good traction
  • personal care items (toothbrush, hair brush, toothpaste, denture cement, deodorant, hand cream, etc. whatever they regularly use)
  • phone charger and LONG cord
  • an unread book from their favorite author
  • a warm fuzzy lap robe or bathrobe (hospital rooms can be cold)
  • list of all prescription meds with doses
  • list of known food and medicine allergies
  • essential information on their medical conditions (if they have a history of something non-obvious)
  • list of doctors with phone numbers
  • list of people to call who might worry (neighbors or someone who checks in on them?)
  • medical directive, if they have one
  • insurance info

hope that helps.

4 Likes

Other than toiletries, extra socks, underwear, maybe PJ’s etc I think I’d consult with their primary care physicians and see what else they would suggest.

I feel for you, I’ve been there with both my parents and my grandparents as well as a few very close family friends. It sucks being the “responsible adult” but that you’re willing to step up speaks well for your character and how they raised you.

5 Likes

Deck of cards - interactive for you waiting with the “patient”
Reading glasses, regular glasses, contact solution, eye drops
Notebook for tracking test results or details the medical professionals give you
Dry shampoo
Wet wipes/body wipes for when you can’t shower

** I’ve spent too much time in an ER lately. Most of the rooms have had whiteboards with a place for names of the medical staff. Having the names was extremely helpful for me. They also had a list of times for the typical procedures that happen in the ER: x-rays 30 min, cat scan 45 min (I’m totally making up the times because I don’t remember what they were, but they were really helpful)

4 Likes

oh, I forgot the most important one - antibacterial (alcohol based) wipes - and wipe down EVERYTHING before you touch it (bed rails, door knobs, bath fixtures, tables, switches). … got that advice from my hubby’s surgeon. You don’t want to catch any hospital bugs, and you don’t want your hospital-bound person to catch them.

5 Likes

VERY True! I washed my hands a LOT while I was in the ER over the last few weeks (with others not for myself) because I didn’t want to go to the hospital fine and leave sick.

4 Likes