Home Defense vs. Zombie Apocalypse

If someone robbed a business, you didn’t even report it to police? Yeah that’s definitely not something I’m familiar with.

But, that kind of sounds like it evens out, stats wise…perhaps the high crime rates back in the day were even higher than we think but robberies weren’t even reported for the system to have an opportunity to record it?

2 Likes

That’s probably when the out of the shadows Molotov cocktails find out if your residence is flammable

2 Likes

In my opinion, the purpose of the 2nd Amendment was to preserve the ability of the people to defend themselves from a tyranical government and its forces. That’s what was meant by “a well regulated militia” in my view because the founders were concerned about militias (the armies of their day) running roughshod over the people. In my view, the 2nd Amendment is not about hunting, fighting crime/cartels/motorcyle gangs, having a firearm in case the government calls you up for duty, or fighting zombies.

In one of the Chicago gun cases, Justice Thomas wrote at length about the actions of the KKK – a local militia formed during Reconstruction – and how it ran rampant against Blacks when local governments enacted laws that disarmed Blacks.

If one accepts my view, then having a stock of firearms and ammo to defend against what will always be a better armed government is what the 2nd Amendment intended.

3 Likes

Absolutely, except it’s not working! Tyranny has gone electronic!

5 Likes

That’s when the claymores get activated.

But we can trade increasingly dumb observations and scenarios all day long….

Is it possible that an army of 300 Jihadist will attack my home? Sure! But I’d it plausible? No….

But would that be plausible if I was a soldier deployed in a foreign hostile country? Yes.

So an individual should prepare and train for plausible and only said individual can determine that for THEIR particular situation.

6 Likes

Excellent plan, as long as you intend to never leave your house. And do you have any actual facts/static’s that bear this reduction in violent crime you quote as factual? Because when my dad was young not much got officially reported, don’t think it was any better before that.

3 Likes

I remember as a kid growing up we did have a police office in town. It only maintained one officer in his private car. The sign over the top of the police station said “Cop Shop”. Not a lot got reported in that small town. Usually the farmers shopkeepers and parents yes parents, we’re able to work things out amongst themselves. The cops primary duty was speed control down the main Street. It was a different world and far simpler. I remember the only time I ever stole anything in my life was two pieces of Penny bubble gum. As we left John soda fountain my father saw I had them and we marched right back in and I had to tell John I had taken them. My father then gave me as cheap labor to John for the afternoon and I spent all afternoon mopping wood floors.

Different world sadly to say!

5 Likes

That’s my philosophy. My EDC (24 rounds total) should be plenty for anything I would anticipate in my particular neighborhood. I don’t stage anything around my house. Should anything larger scale actually happen, I’m pretty confident I’ll have enough advance notice to make any additional preparations needed. The larger political mobs that can get out of hand usually originate in downtown areas where they can get their faces on TV before things start turning violent. My residence won’t be the epicenter for the start of anything larger scale. So just like the alarm system on my house gives me an early warning of things small scale, I would also anticipate early warnings well ahead of any angry hoards arriving at my residence. …unless it’s a rapid invasion by super stealth ninjas, in which case I’m hosed.

3 Likes

And that’s a good evaluation of your most likely scenarios. And I’m not saying it’s not smart to go a bit beyond, I’m probably a little guilty of it. Again it’s up to the individual to figure out what will allow him to sleep at night and give him best odds of a win if something goes bump when/where it’s not supposed to.

2 Likes

This right here sums up ALL of it.

4 Likes

Small roving looting groups will be the rural plague, especially close to interstate exits.

6 Likes

I agree. I don’t think that “pink misting” 5 attackers on your lawn and leaving the dead bodies as a warning is particularly plausible. However, in such a scenario, somebody throwing a molotov cocktail feels right at home. A determined group of attackers knows how to burn things down, see 2020

2 Likes

My home defense plan is my plan for when I am at home, yes. That’s why it’s my home defense plan. :wink:

Stats? Yes.

FBI Uniform Crime Report aka UCR

2 Likes

The FBI UCR has been a decent set of data in the last 20 years or so. Before that the “reports” were made up by extrapolating a limited data set from a handful of cities with a whole lot of assumptions and guessing. There are no reliable numbers from them “old days”.

1 Like

Hmmm… I could be wrong but IMO it wasn’t an actual invasion.

In a SHTF situation, CHAZ would last about half a day if freedom-loving Americans were unleashed to defend the homeland. :us:

4 Likes

And since when do we trust the “F. B. I.?”
They are here from the government and they are here to help? LOL
I don’t need stats to know that crime is completely out of control.
I’m not that much interested in the past, either. I’m concerned about my grandkids future! For all intents and purposes, the only easy day was yesterday!
Doveryay, no proveryay!

2 Likes

Chaz was an invasion just like Occupy Wall Street. Not necessarily a violent one but an invasion nevertheless. It happened in the middle of a city of sheep so no opposition. Would love to see them try to invade a small Southern conservative town. But even they are not that dumb.

7 Likes

They tried in Brandenburg Ky.I was one of the armed that was there.The protesters left when the cops warned them what was waiting.

6 Likes

I’m not a prepper, but I prepare for the reasonably foreseeable. None the less, what I learned in my various careers was that what usually got someone in trouble, or cost them their life, was not the big thing, but was the simple, little things.

As applies here, what that means is, it’s not the 14ht 30 round mag you didn’t have, or the fourth gun you didn’t stage, but rather the fact that your EDC was in the other room when the door burst open, or your gun had not been maintained. Or even, that you had not practiced with it in ages.

The fatalities in the mountains never came down to the 100.00 parka versus the 600.00 parka, or the amount of gear they had in their pack, It DID regularly come down to the simple things, not tying off to lean over a cliff, dashing to the summit without your pack, or going for a hike without one at all. Even avalanches came down to the simple things and not the 500.00 avalanche beacon they didn’t wear.

Have it with you, even at home, know how to use it, and maintain it along with your skills. Do that first and always, and you will cover 99% of what happens. That done, add to it for the rainy day that also sometimes happens.

Respectfully, that’s the reality I saw.

8 Likes

It says something about “us” if I may say so boldly.
Self-defense is a last resort, when threat of great bodily harm or death is real.

We have not yet been involved in an actual SHTF situation.

4 Likes