Historical American: Patrick Henry

“Radical,” is a title that few men can wear with ease. The name Patrick Henry, during the revolution and for some time after, was synonymous with that word in the minds of colonists and Empire alike. Henry’s reputation as a passionate and fiery orator exceeded even that of Samuel Adams. His Stamp Act Resolutions were, arguably, the first shot fired in the Revolutionary War.

Patrick Henry’s personality was a curious antidote to the stern honor of Washington, the refined logic of Jefferson, and the well-tempered industry of Franklin. Young Henry was an idler and by many accounts a derelict; though everyone knew he was bright, he simply would not lift a finger except to his own pleasure. By the age of 10, his family knew that he would not be a farmer, and tried instead to train him toward academic studies, but he would not apply himself schoolwork either. He married at 18 and at age 21 his father set him up in a business that he quickly bankrupted. Finally the general public disgust in Hanover and pressure from his young family caused him to study for six weeks and take the bar exam, which he passed, and begin work as a lawyer.

In 1764 he moved to Louisa county, Virginia, where, as a lawyer, he argued in defense of broad voting rights (suffrage) before the House of Burgesses. The following year he was elected to the House and soon became its leading radical member. It was that year that he proposed the Virginia Stamp Act Resolutions. Few members of the Burgesses, as aristocratic a group of legislators as existed in the colonies, would argue openly for defiance of Great Britain. Henry argued with remarkable eloquence and fervor in favor of the five acts, which by most accounts amounted to a treason against the mother country. In 1774 he represented Virginia in the First Continental Congress where he continued in the role of firebrand. At the outbreak of the revolution, he returned to his native state and lead militia in defense of Virginia’s gunpowder store, when the royal Governor spirited it aboard a British ship. Henry forced the Governor Lord Dunmore to pay for the powder at fair price.

In 1776, Henry was elected Governor of Virginia, and re-elected twice, serving three consecutive 1-year terms. In 1779 he was succeeded by Thomas Jefferson. He was again elected to the office in 1784. Patrick Henry was a strong critic of the constitution proposed in 1787. He was in favor of the strongest possible government for the individual states, and a weak federal government. He was also very critical of the fact that the convention was conducted in secret.

President Washington appointed him Secretary of State in 1795, but Henry declined the office. In 1799, President Adams appointed him envoy to France, but failing health required him to decline this office too. He died on June 6, 1799 at age of 63.

Found at: https://www.ushistory.org/Declaration/related/henry.html

9 Likes

As a citizen of this area of Virginia, Patrick Henry looms large in many minds lately. I heard his name invoked regarding our fight with the liberals more than a few times. I think he would be proud of our 2nd Amendment Sanctuary movement, of which Louisa County recently joined.

4 Likes

@Virgil_H I keep hearing his name echo over the internet as a call to arms. Our forefathers had a clearly defined enemy. They had close-knit communities. Most had faith in something greater than themselves. Many showed immense wisdom, fortitude and patience. They had massive lands to explore and plenty of room to grow. Hope in building something new. Maybe I’m reading to much into this or projecting my own thoughts but they wanted to leave something better for their kids.

We have benefited from their decisions. As imperfect as our current society can seem, amplified by echo chambers in every subset, still we as a nation are blessed. If you want to see corrupt politics and exploitation, go live in Mexico for a year. I studied and worked there for a bit during an engineering internship and working in two maquiladoras.

The same sweet whispers on the internet are trying to steer us over the cliff. Beware of the chest thumpers. @PatriotCommander (good that no one here is using that handle) may be some guy in Iran, Russia or China stirring up grief. Could be someone watching their preps starting to go bad because the big’un hasn’t kicked off yet. Might just be “Internet Influencers” on EEEWTube trying to get more hits. Keep the Faith brother and don’t accept any wooden nickels.

4 Likes

Very, very well said sir.

3 Likes

Good article. It will take strong Patriots like PH or freedom will die in Virginia.

3 Likes

Patrick Henry is the revolutionary war’s bad boy. I think he may have been the definition of “rogue”, definitely a man of passion, personal power, and charisma.

That time has an extra large helping of stand-up men of character, but it needed a substantial portion of rule breakers and risk takers to make the revolution work.

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

@Zee you make a good point. Today was a beautiful day in Virginia. Mid 50’s with little breeze. I got some range time in and enjoyed the sunshine. The Glock 17 I just bought ran flawlessly. The folks I met at that range over the last 14 years would make you proud to be an American. Plenty of passion, dedication and world class talent. No nonsense people that have and will fight to protect this country.

3 Likes

That’s happening right here on this site too, including folks like you.
:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

@Zee Definitely a good bunch of folks here. You do a great job keeping it real. Thank you!

2 Likes

I’m currently reading The Faith of Our Fathers by Alf J. Mapp Jr. Patrick Henry was an interesting study. I’m sure Jefferson and Madison and other of his contemporaries from Virginia outwardly groaned but secretly grinned at Patrick Henry’s rhetoric.

1 Like

”Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands? The great object is that every man be armed.” and ”Everyone who is able may have a gun.”-Patrick Henry, American Patriot and Governor of Virginia

3 Likes

He may be proud of the movement in VA, but I think he would be appalled at the reinterpretation, misinterpretation and mis-representation of the 2nd amendment by politicians and judges who have been violating our Rights since 1934 and continue to do so.

2 Likes

@Jason2 Just so you know, Rhetoric is “The art or study of using language effectively and persuasively.” I looked that term up before I used it. I’m thankful for men like Patrick Henry. We all need to polish up on our Rhetoric. Patrick Henry had heart. He had faith but he also had the equivalent of a law degree. Hamilton and Jefferson were the elite during that founding of our Country. They brought a lot to the table. I’ve been spending more time reading about the founding fathers, the Constitution and the entire Bill of Rights. Man has the cow been out of the barn for a while now. 2A is a known trigger. I won’t be led into a Soros/Bloomberg sponsored ambush by initiating violence first. I will respond to lawlessness directed at my family, neighbors and self. I will also be going to Lobby Day in Richmond to help present a united front. Keep the faith,

3 Likes

Our (I live in Louisiana) 2nd term democrat governor, who won by a slim margin, is starting to make noise about gun control and our state is solidly red with just a few blue cities pushing him over the top for the win. I’m watching the situation in Virginia very closely because we could be in that situation very soon if the governor isn’t dissuaded.
I’ll keep the faith though, along with my firearms!

2 Likes

This is a perfect illustration of why we’re getting fed “compromising” over gun control.

3 Likes

^^^ that right there @Jason2

2 Likes

@Jason2 I get it. Been watching it unfold throughout my life while trying to help defend our country from those pesky external threats. We have domestic enemies. Probably ever since the Constitution was inked. All of our rights have been eroded. Some even perverted by the Supreme Court to condone the slaughter of 61,000,000 innocent Americans since 1973. I will not sacrifice my vote to laziness, give up my voice to complacency or handover my firearms to tyrants.

4 Likes