Hiking and Conceal Carry?

This was exactly what I was thinking! Thanks @CDW15!! Although I may need to look at @TexasEskimo 's option from a price perspective.

That fine line of I don’t want to cheap out, but that price is a little steep…but might be worth saving up for.

3 Likes

And I’m really digging how it will attach to my hiking pack!

2 Likes

And they hold more than you would think. My contains…

• Wynex Recon Kit
  • Weight:
    Without Weapon: 3.0 lbs.
    With Weapon (Glock 43): 4.2 lbs.

Front Outside:

• 90 Degree Clip on/Magnetic Flashlight
  • Glock 6rd Magazine

Front Outside Zipper:

• Glock 43
  • G43 Trigger Guard

Front Compartment:

• OC Spray
  • Cree Mini-Flashlight
  • PB Snack Packs (2)

Middle Compartment:

• 2 Glow Sticks
  • Signal Mirror w/ Whistle
  • 3x5 Memo Pad
  • Pen
  • Pencil
  • Utility/ Multifunction Knife

Rear Compartment

• Headgear for Flashlight

• Large Utility Knife

• Duct Tape

• Multi-Tool

• Baggie with:
    Sheets of TP
    Bic Lighter
    Super Glue
    BandAids (S/M/L/XL) 4 Each
    Lens Wipes

3 Likes

Just placed order…Thanks Tex!!

3 Likes

@TexasEskimo My brother you are so prepared and that is a sharp looking bag.

3 Likes

@Johnnyq60 That’s nothing… here is my “get home bag” I put in my car…

• 5.11 Tactical Rush12 Backpack 24L
  • Weight:
    W/O Weapon: 13.0 lbs.
    W/ Weapon: 19.0 lbs.

Strap Pouch ( R):

• Upper
    [Empty]
  • Lower
    Glock 17 mags (2x17rd)

Strap Pouch (L):

• Upper
    Compass
  • Lower
    Glock 17 mags (2x17rd)

Front Compartment:

• Bushnell 16x52 Monocular
  • Metal tin (w/Lens Wipes & Cloth)
  • Insect Repellent
  • Sunscreen
  • Protein snacks

Inside Comparment:

• Kel-Tec SUB2K PCC
  • Water Bottle (w/ Glow Sicks, electrical tape, plastic garbage bag)
  • Clamps
  • Paracord 100’
  • Poncho/Shade
  • Tourniquet
  • Isreali 6" Compression Bandage
  • Lifestraw
  • Plastic Wire Ties
  • Lightweight Straps
  • Emergency Blanket
  • Work Gloves

Top Front Zipper Pocket:

• Folding local typography map

Top Back Zipper

• Shooting Glasses

Rear Compartment:

• Hydration Bladder - 2 Liter

Molle Platform ( R)

• Tactical Trauma Kit

Molle Platform (L)

• Cell phone
  • G43 Mags (2)
  • [Extra room for other supplies/ammo]

3 Likes

How is it drawing from the chest rig you have? That was kind of my concern with that. The one I posted is designed for a concealed carry pistol and made to be drawn from. Not that yours isn’t, but I see the zippers are set up differently. Does that hinder drawing the firearm at all?

Thanks.

@TexasEskimo

2 Likes

Nice brother you can attach all your bags also correct.

1 Like

With a little practice is fairly quick. Just unzip with one hand and pull out the firearm with the other. For added safety I have a trigger guard that is clipped inside the pocket. So when I remove the firearm the guard detaches.

3 Likes

Alrighty thanks. I appreciate it. Placed my order tonight.

1 Like

Just remember to carry for the anticipated threat. If in a local widely traveled area I carry my EDC in a usually manner. Knocking around the toolies it’s a .357 owb. Out west it’s a .44 mag owb. I want enough beans to neutralize the threat, whatever the threat may be. Many moons ago a buddy and I were scouting for a deer hunt in a fairly remote National Forest about 2 miles from the nearest road. We were set upon by a large pack of feral dogs-I wasn’t especially worried about being killed but I darn sure was concerned about being bitten and going through the whole rabies shot thing.long story short we were up a tree for about 45 minutes and very cautious about working our way back to the truck. From then on I am NEVER out unarmed.

3 Likes

I am actually looking into a .357 right now.

1 Like

357 sig or 357 magnum? I just wanted to mention, that you might check what holster options are available for whatever model you choose (especially if you plan on experimenting with different carry positions and options). I am very happy with my S&W 66-8, but form fitted holsters seem to be mostly limited to custom makers. I even e-mailed Galco and they said that they do not suggest any of their holsters for my newer 66-8.

2 Likes

.357 magnum.

2 Likes

.357 Mag, model 60 3” tube. A shot round followed by 4 .357’s or, lately, .38 Sp 100 gr +P Honey Badger. Will turn a Coyote inside out😏.

3 Likes

I bet. Lol

1 Like

Check Man Gear Alaska nylon chest rigs, hold 1 or 2 spare mags. Own 4 of them for heavy revolvers to Sig P320 & Glock 19. Both mine and my wife’s favorite carry system (she’s 5-06), infinitely adjustable and extremely comfortable. Plus, handmade by a ga in Alaska, price is reasonable, quality & customer service is great. Have used them for over 5 years hiking, fly fishing (keep gun high and accessible w/ waders) and hunting.

2 Likes

Years ago this was the reason I got my LTC. I was a photographer for Texas Highways Magazine and way out in a rural area on a road, I was all setup with the cameras and tripod, when I looked down the road and there were 4 or 5 mean ass looking dogs just staring at me.

2 Likes

We were in a “national wilderness area” no roads/vehicles allowed. It was a LONG walk out😳

2 Likes

You might want to check out Hill People gear. They make a chest rig that also holds your wallet and phone. If you pull the zippers hard it opens and you can draw the gun from a holster that is held by velcro .

3 Likes