Helicopter Overhead...Right Now

For about the last 30 minutes I have heard the sound of a low flying, slow flying, helicopter overhead. I was torn about going outside or just making sure I was well armed. Curiosity got the best of me, so I decided to walk out (concealed carry). I was outside for less than a minute when the helicopter came back in my direction, stopped, and appeared to face me. They did not have a search light on. I came back in my place very slowly. Still waiting for a possible knock on my door from friendly LEO’S. The helo is still in the area.
Probably should have just stayed inside. What would you have done?
(This isn’t made up).

3 Likes

Well, I live by Barksdale Air force Base which is one of the largest Air Force bases in U.S. and home of Global Strike Command (Where George Bush went on 9-11-01) I’ve gone mute to Air Craft but noticed one above me as typing this due to subject.

I would not worry unless you pointed a gun or a laser at it. Other than that, you are a law abiding citizen who went outside due to noise as any normal person would.

4 Likes

Update: the helicopter just kept making larger and larger circles and after another 20 minutes was gone. Nothing in the news and no LEO’s came over.
I tend to get anxious at the low pitch thumping of helicopters, had a bad experience in the past. I am sure others can relate to this.

7 Likes

Just because you may have a healthy sense of paranoia, doesn’t mean someone isn’t out to get you.

I pay attention to sounds that don’t fit my audio profile. Out character sounds get my attention.

7 Likes

@Zavier_D And on the other end of that spectrum is silence. In the Middle East I knew silence meant “it” was about to hit the fan. Nothing good happened when it was quiet.

4 Likes

Just fyi…with FLIR and thermal sensors…they don’t really need a spot light anymore…just sayin. :male_detective:

8 Likes

@JamesR Exactly why I walked back in my house very slowly and casually. Nothing to image here.

5 Likes

Curiosity would have gotten the better of me, too.

2 Likes

@TexasEskimo

I live in a smallish town, wife and I eat on our back deck. If the crickets, owls, and other animals get quiet. I start looking for a reason. No sound is as bad as an uncharacteristic sound.

6 Likes

There’s a good chance that they were looking for someone and since you were moving around and interested in them, they may have to make sure you weren’t the person they were looking for.

OR they got new tech and wanted to play with it?

8 Likes

We live way out in rural Texas. The only helicopters we get are some weekends when they do helicopter rides at the wineries.

They fly low and watch me on my John Deere ride around or work in a field or orchard.

I wave and the tourist wave back…

4 Likes

We’re right across the bay from MacDill in Tampa, and the news choppers are always in the air, so hearing a helicopter is nothing new around here. Usually when one is in the area for an extended period, that means the Sheriff’s Office is looking for someone.

3 Likes

I was “told” [word of mouth] Sheriff Dept. use thermal imaging in rural areas to sniff out “meth” labs.

Not sure how true that is but sounds realistic!

4 Likes

I don’t know about Meth labs, but around here they used to use it to find people growing pot plants. Apparently they have a unique look in flir.

4 Likes

The municipal airport is right behind my property so the sound of various aircraft is nothing new. Typically won’t hear any at night except for an occasional ANG training op.

I did see two helicopter gunships flying over town about a week ago. Not fast, not slow; just flying. Don’t know what that was about. Might have had something to do with Ft. Campbell, home of the 101st Airborne, which is ~50 miles south of here.

2 Likes

That makes sense as well!

Like I said, word of mouth so might not be reliable.

6 Likes

Out here in my neighborhood we just got a sheriff’s Dept helo, it patrols pretty low. It was doing the same thing, I went out and checked around to see if it was searching/assisting ground units and it turned and came back when the spotter must have noticed me.

I waved, they hovered then turned and went off again, I went back inside. Leslie pulled up her scanner app and no emergency alerts in the neighborhood so I chalked it up to proactive patrolling.

During the day, we have the gas company that uses a low flying helo to do surveys so many residents were wondering what is going on. I was looking out of my home office window and seen them as well.

There’s a lot of surveillance tech that’s in the air.

2 Likes

It is probably too late, but in case they come back make a sign…

3 Likes
4 Likes