Hearing Protection

This thread might help too:

1 Like

My recommendation is to get the best hearing protection that is available. Doesn’t mean you have to buy the most expensive. Could be some solid used gear out there, or, some hack configurations that work well. We are only born with one set of ears.

1 Like

@Harry12 That’s a good idea, I will give it a try. T :wink:hanks

I am a big fan of quality hearing protection.

A few years ago, I lost my hearing after a trip to the range - and I always wear hearing protection at the range. My audiologist told me (just as my father’s audiologist told him 20 years earlier) that the “event” was just coincidental with my hearing loss. I could just as easily been reaching for a box of cereal when my hearing went South.

You can spend $10 for basic earmuffs or hundreds for high-end electronic filtering earmuffs. If you lose your hearing, you will spend thousands of dollars (every 5-7 years or so) for hearing aids.

I wear Howard Leight electronic earmuffs. This is the specific model I own: https://smile.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-01526-PK2-Amplification-Electronic/dp/B01HG8A8PA - I like the way they work, and they’re easy on battery life…as long as I remember to turn them off when I store them.

Please, please, please, (X 10,000) PLEASE PROTECT YOUR HEARING!!!

I went deaf (totally) in January of 1991 for three days. It was the last time I ever heard nothing. It involved a 25mm chain gun, 37 rounds and some unusual physical circumstances that are best saved for a camp fire. Add a few more “incidences or events” and the end result is 29 years later I have Profound high frequency hearing loss. According to OSHA I should wear double hearing protection to protect me from myself. I have 90 dB hearing loss in my right ear and 105 dB in the left at 6,000 Hz due to tinnitus which means I “hear” that level of sound all day, every day and will for the rest of my life.

It has a profound effect on your social life, personal life and life in general. “I’m sorry, What?” is the most repeated thing I say, even with hearing aids, which today actually do something where 10 years ago they didn’t. If you have ANY Tinnitus (ringing in the ears) go see an audiologist! GOOD Hearing Aids are expensive but they are also tune-able and can mitigate the effects to a great degree. One of the first things I heard with my new (2016) hearing aids was a conversation between my wife and my son.

Mom: Did you talk to Dad?
Son: Yeah but he didn’t say anything like always.
Mom: We’re you standing in front of him?
Son: No I was sitting on the couch, it was like he didn’t know I was there.
Mom: That’s because he didn’t hear you.
Son: I was 10 feet away, he was just ignoring me.

You have no idea how crushing that was and that I heard it in another room was (wait for it)

Unheard of.

SERIOUSLY: Protect your hearing.

Cheers,

Craig6

5 Likes

Yup, I have the same problem. Mine started before the military, but I lost most of mine because of close in demo detonation and .50 BMG firing on both sides of me at the ranges. The little flanged rubber ear plugs we were issued were next to useless. Now I wear foam plugs and muffs. :hear_with_hearing_aid:

1 Like

I’m with @BRUCE26. After losing a lot of hearing from my TC Contender’s muzzle brake over the years hunting, I would recommend keeping both a jar of ear plugs and a set of muffs with you at the range. If ‘Joe AR pistol’ sets up shop next to you, you’ll need both, and losing your hearing sucks.
When I’m instructing I used my electronic muffs, but generally just a pair of good muffs. Plugs and muffs if I’m shooting a lot that day or there is a cannon next to me.

2 Likes

I use electronic ear pro exclusively. Most electronic ear pro gives up some NRR ratings, but it my opinion, to be able to clearly hear while on the range is worth it. I use Peltor Sport Tactical 300. I think they are rated 24 NRR and they do well for me even at indoor ranges. They aren’t cheap, but far from what some cost and they are very good in my opinion.

My wife uses Pro Ears rated at 30 NRR I think. She has very sensitive ears and she doubles up with ear plugs. The electronics are good enough she still hears well with them on.

1 Like

:hear_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :hear_no_evil:WHAT? :hear_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :hear_no_evil:

1 Like

old fashion perhaps? :thinking: passive, but secure
ruskihelm

3 Likes

Yup, muffs and plugs. Hearing is a finite resource, once it’s gone it’s gone. The little cilia in your ears die when they are exposed to excessive noise-they do NOT grow back…Use good (high NRR rating) hearing protection-always! A set of electronic muffs sit on the nightstand by the flashlight and CZ.

2 Likes

old thread, but I’ve just found quite interesting earbuds :slightly_smiling_face:

earplugs

4 Likes

No more loaner ear muffs in my neck of the woods due to Covid 19.
Ranges require you to bring your own ears.

2 Likes

Shoot Point Blank had a father’s day special - $50 for two one-hour ranges passes (would cost $40) and a range bag ($35 if I bought it), cheap eye protection and Walker slim line passive ear muffs, rated 23db. I also have those foam inserts. So just starting out, I think this is good

2 Likes

I owned and have used tons of different heating protection devices. These here are my favorites for outdoor ranges. They make a 30db model great for indoor ranges. I have converted many folks to these with no unhappy users. I even wear them hunting. They hugely improve my normal hearing while protecting me from gunfire.

3 Likes

I got this pair for myself and sister. Sunglasses or prescription glasses don’t feel good with the foam pads. I opted for including a set of Gel pad inserts to replace the default foam. This makes the wearing of ear protection easier. I would also recommend including ear canal extra protection if you’re gonna plan on being around large firearms…or indoor ranges.

[Walkers XCEL 500BT Digital… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RRDCBQX?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share](Walkers XCEL 500BT Digital… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RRDCBQX?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share)

I decided to spend a little more on mine. Love all the features, bells and whistles

1 Like