Have you found ammo lately?

Any advice for buying .223 or 556? I usually go for Winchester white box fmj because it’s good quality and usually reasonably priced. BUT it’s been harder to find for me. I need brass ammo (not magnetic) so I can shoot it at my local range.

1 Like

Check with your local range, do they object to steel projectile? or do they object to steel case? Or both? Many ranges object to steel projectiles because they foul up the backstop. Most dont object to steel case.

Inexpensive “pew pew” ammo, everyone has their favorite (pretty sure there is another thread here about it). A safe bet is anything labeled M193/XM193 which is NATO spec for 55gr brass cased, so it has passed at least a bare minimum standard of quality, reliability, consistency, and accuracy. IMI (Israel), Privi Partizan (PPU, Czech? Croatia?), Federal (USA), MEN (from Germany), PMC (S.Korea) are in my experience very good quality. Fiocchi makes some really nice .223 55gr. Wolf Gold (not the steel case) is made in Taiwan(?) and is technically .223 but is loaded close to 5.56 pressure and is known to be cheap and reliable.

Steel core projectiles are commonly found in M855 (another NATO spec), so avoid those for range use. Their usefulness in other arenas is often argued and debated :wink:

Steel case ammo is significantly cheaper, usually imported (so may actually be hard to find now because of COVID) and is probably OK at your range as long as the projectile is non-magnetic. In your specific position, I wouldn’t recommend getting steel case as it can be more prone to jams and until you get a better understanding of your rifle and how to clear stoppages it’s best to stick to brass cased for now.

2 Likes

Like toilet paper, new ammo is on the rise, but the COST !

2 Likes

@Scoutbob there’s some on Sig’s site. Bulk 556 fmj ball ammo

SIG Store - Shop Online at the SIG SAUER Web Store

2 Likes

Maybe I’m buying at the right time or a large enough amount but I havn’t seen much of a problem I don’t go to the range as much as I social distance ( I’m in my 70s ) I do look and have seen ammo decline and now is increasing in volume and choices, The Lucky Gunner has been doing a good job and when I order I have it within three days I live within 150 mi. from them.

3 Likes

I bought 4 boxes ( 200 rd ) of 9mm luger 115gr fmj at Dunhams sport today for 10.99 a box, I usually pay around 15.00 a box of 50. I’m going back tomorrow for another 200 rounds. :smile:

3 Likes

I just bought a box of self defense ammo at my local armory, Sig Sauer 19.99 a box of 20. It looks like they restocked and ammo is returning slowly but surely.

3 Likes

Plus, now you have something to barter with if the pooh hits the fan.

3 Likes

Found two sites that have a good(indicated) supply.

1. Ammo Depot, 9mm less than $.29 each, brass and reloadable.

2.Wideners. .223 at less than $.30 each. Non-reloadable

I am sure others will be quick to fill the gap.

Larry

4 Likes

I like Target Sports USA too! I have a club membership and ammo is usually very inexpensive. Not much to be found on this site going back to March. But hey, a great place to buy ammo prior to the pandemic.

3 Likes

Yes sir. It is so rare to find ammo with them. Things are so screwed up now.

3 Likes

Picked up a couple of boxes of 556x45 for my new AR15 a few days ago and will be at the range tomorrow god willing for first rounds through it. Will post comments after range time.

3 Likes

Good deal sir. Let us know how it goes. Have fun!

2 Likes

@Johnnyq60 If you need some bunker ammo and mags for your new AR to carry you over and through the pandelerium get with me. I can hook you right up.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

@Craig6 I appreciate you and man that would be a great help and a blessing. I will take you up on that and will give me a chance to show you the AR 15. :+1::+1:
Thanks johnnyq60.

2 Likes