Handling firearms in my apartment

That’s correct, but I will need to leave it in the car when I travel to destinations that do not allow firearms, like school and some grocery stores, so I’ll need to lock it up often.

2 Likes

I just wouldn’t overthink it. Do whatever is required by the many laws there, and keep the transportation from car to home simple, if the law allows it. Why make it more complicated than it has to be? :+1: edited: hang on… you can’t carry into the grocery store?? Where can you carry over there? Man, I love where I live lol

4 Likes

Not being nasty or anything. But before you can be given solid advice. Do you have a Concealed Carry permit?

2 Likes

He’s planning to get one

3 Likes

I wouldn’t even try to drive with it, your firearm that is. Until you have the permit, drive it home and secure it. Also, after you buy it and get it home. I would make sure I didn’t throw out in the trash anything firearms related. That’s just me though.

4 Likes

I could be wrong, but I think carrying to the car, having in said car, and carrying to home is contingent on the permit part. @JonathanLW can answer that one. On the plus side, if one finds themself arrested, they are more lenient on criminals than guns there it seems…

2 Likes

Also, congratulations @JonathanLW on your soon to be purchased firearm :tada::partying_face: whatcha getting?

3 Likes

By the way pics or it didn’t happen
A small price to pay for all of the great advice you can get here :smiley::rofl::joy:

Oh and don’t show the serial number. We can’t seem to decide whether someone is keeping track of gun pictures or not

3 Likes

Speaking of that, I believe that coming up on the 15th or so, S&W is doing their $150 rebate again.

2 Likes

I definitely recommend a USCCA course. :+1:

3 Likes

Ok. I did a deeper dive into California law. From what I am seeing.

1. The handgun has to be in a locked container.
  2. It has to be unloaded.
  3. You have to be over 18 for a shotgun or rifle, and over 21 for a handgun and a non prohibited owner of a firearm.
  4. Furthermore, the handgun must be carried directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while being carried must be contained within a locked container.

So if your concern is extra administrative handling of your firearm. I would say, until you get your Concealed Carry license, trying to transport a firearm, that the risk vs reward is pretty risky. Link below, and handgun info.

Edit :
Additionally you must also know about every County and Local requirement as California does not have preemptive regulatory law. Less confusing. Every county and municipality can add in further restrictions on firearms.

Transporting Firearms in California

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 25610, a United States citizen over 18 years of age who is not prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, may transport by motor vehicle any handgun provided it is unloaded and locked in the vehicle’s trunk or in a locked container. Furthermore, the handgun must be carried directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while being carried must be contained within a locked container.

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 16850, the term “locked container” means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment.

4 Likes

Different post as I didn’t want to clutter up my transport post.

Jeepers, there is a metric buttload of firearm laws in California. So so glad I do not live in California.

5 Likes

Unfortunately CA’s leniency only applies to repeat criminals committing crimes with illegally possessed firearms. If you are a law abiding citizen who accidentally breaks one of their countless unconstitutional anti self defense laws then you should expect to be treated as if you are the worst kind of criminal possible.

6 Likes

It’s not that complicated.
I’d get an MTM case (or sometimes the one your pistol came with) locked with a small padlock can be used to take the gun home from the gun store. It will fit inside a range bag with other shooting accoutrements for transport it back and forth to the range for training/practice.

When you get your CCW pick up a Liberty lock box with a cable or use the mounting holes to bolt it in place in your vehicle when you can’t take your holstered pistol into forbidden territory.

4 Likes

It sounds pretty complicated.

In California, it sure seems complicated. You have to know Federal, State, County, and any Municipalities law. As California does not have a preemption law. That means anywhere you may be at, may have more restrictions than what the Federal and State laws require. So, never fewer than the Federal and State requirements, but in addition to them.

4 Likes

Same universal safety standards apply whether in an apartment or some other dwelling.

I only practice in my home with unloaded firearm and magazines.

Living in CA, I have a readily available portable gun safe under the front passenger seat. Prior to arriving at places where I could not legally carry, I look for a parking spot with no cameras where I could safely and discreetly unholster and put the unloaded and locked gun in the safe.

Special extra handling—or not carry at all—when going to the post office or school.

5 Likes

Do you have a CC California permit?

2 Likes

Yes, I do have a CC permit.

3 Likes

Cool. The law is a bit different for a CC vs a non CC. From reading the law OP doesn’t have that option. Not trying to start anything. I figure you know more than I do about CC in California. OP doesn’t have a CC. So his options are more limited.

4 Likes

CA actually does have a State preemption law but I think it only covers some types of regulations and not all. I doubt the current State administration would ever enforce that law against the local governments who are likely already violating it.

2 Likes