Gunsmithing & Firearm Professionals

Welcome to our Gunsmithing & Firearm Professionals forum.

This forum was created to educate others through our A.A.S. Gunsmithing Degree process and updates on our Firearm Business in Central Minnesota.

(Update 1/8/23) We bought a lake home on 6+ Acres w/ a 2,000sq. ft. shop that’ll host our future Gunsmith Shop/Training Facility. Find out more at Nomadlund.com and thanks for all the continued support. :+1:t3::us:

12 Likes

When you graduate and start your own business let me know and I can add you to my free website at GunsmithUSA.com

4 Likes

I would too but I cannot afford another bill to pay!

2 Likes

There is no charge ever to be listed in the gunsmithing directory on GunsmithUSA.com

4 Likes

Sounds good and appreciate it!

1 Like

From research and insight from other Gunsmiths, it is crucial to find an in-person certification program located at a reputable campus. Online, self-paced programs may work, but nothing can replace in-person, direct feedback and education. Also, having access to high-quality Machinist equipment will make a huge difference. Quality is key! If you’re a veteran…there are many programs to help fund the education. If you have questions, let me know and can offer help. :+1:t3:

2 Likes

Are you a veteran by chance Todd? You could try and apply for VR&E or possibly your states GI Bill?

My GI Bill expired a long time ago! VR&E is questionable. They tried to make me a mechanical drafter and that ended up a disaster.

Understandable. Well, with VR&E you have every right to choose what program you go into. If it didn’t work, you could still try for Gunsmithing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love the technicality of drafting and the hands on approach with Gunsmithing. There are so many avenues or “specialties” as a Gunsmith too. I know a few guys that just focus solely on custom AR builds, cerakoting/bluing, Rifle or Pistol Only Technicians, Laser Etching, to completely Manufacturing their own Firearms.

1 Like

I started dabbling some time ago. I made a shim for a shotgun to tighten up the barrel. I built a black powder pistol, I have finished a stock, re-blued the barrel, changed parts and now I have a custom-built Marlin Model 60. I also have fixed and/or improved several guns too. I should have done this when I was younger, and I was thinking of it!

2 Likes

Wanted to have a discussion on Cerakote. Personally, I can go either way with it. For me it’s a love/hate relationship, but the H-Series is now the baseline for firearms and if spending the money, might as well upgrade to the Elite Series. Bringing Cerakote H-Series to the next level with improved hardness, abrasion resistance and lubricity, all in a thinner application.

That being said, the application can hurt the resale value of firearms. Like with Bluing, which I personally wouldn’t suggest re-bluing a manufactured blued firearm, if looking to sell. IMO

Well, never too old to learn. In the future, I plan to also provide classes on a few Gunsmithing concepts. We’ll see.

1 Like

Lots of information to process, I have to process all of this!

2 Likes

Was able to meet and speak with Roy Hill of Brownells at a large training event this last weekend in St. Louis, MO. If you’re not connected to Roy I would highly suggest reaching out. He’s a wealth of knowledge and overall a great guy. As far as Brownells, I wouldn’t work with any other company regarding Gunsmithing Tools and Equipment.

2 Likes

Haven’t posted here in awhile, but will be starting the Gunsmith Associates Degree August 22nd. First year tools and equipment set me back about $3,000 alone, but got tools that’ll last me years to come. MSCDirect.com is another resource I would recommend for high-quality machinist tools and gear. Brownells.com is a great resource, but there are certain tools they don’t stock or couldn’t find. For instance, Machinist Drill Bit Sets or Lathe specific tools.

2 Likes

All set for class on the 22nd. Got the #1 workbench in front and ready to rock-n-roll.
Pine Tech is where I’m taking the 2 Year Associates Gunsmith Program.

2 Likes

Need to get myself a bigger mat though. It’s tiny! (There’s a joke in there somewhere. Lol)

2 Likes

Just remember, you only get out of it with what you put into it!
I hope you do well!
Happy Birthday too! :birthday: :beers:

3 Likes

Definitely and thank you! Always keep learning and have to love the journey. For sure!

1 Like