Gunsmithing & Firearm Professionals

Mat envy is no laughing matter.

2 Likes

First week went well. This semester we’ll l be breaking down many rifles and shotguns to the last pin and reassembled. Also, learning CAD and started projects in the machinist shop. Small steps but loving the process so far.

4 Likes

If you take any Gunsmithing program, I would highly suggest buying hard copies of ALL books required. Don’t do digital text. IMO. It may cost you more initially, but having the physical resources you can refer to later is priceless.

4 Likes

maybe if your a gunsmith.

1 Like

The Apex is a pretty easy install. What other upgrades have you completed yourself?

Rifle stocks, Crown barrels.
To me replacing that trigger would be done by a smith. I’m glad I watched the trigger video because
It reinforces my choice for revolvers. They are my first choice bot not my only choice.
Thanks & good luck
Blacky

2 Likes

Side Note: Search GunPartsCorp.com if you’re looking for specific parts or Firearm schematics. A great resource.

1 Like

Update: Just completed the first Semester of Pine Tech’s A.A.S in Gunsmithing w/ a 3.75 GPA and learned a lot. I’ll be writing a few blogs covering topics learned at Nomadlund.com.

Topics will include: Disassembly, Inspection and Reassembly of Rifle and Shotgun platforms, precision measuring tools and machining fundamentals.

1 Like

This semester we’re focusing on: Gunsmith Machining, Pistol Design and Fundamentals, Semi-Automatic Design and Fundamentals and Firearm Business.

Just finished threading for a 1/2-28 AR-15 Flash Hider/Compensator. Got it within 3A tolerance, 3-wire measured w/ outside micrometer and checked the threading with an optical comparator.

2 Likes

In the process of building a basic shop layout that’ll be completed within the next couple of years. Having customized/moveable workbenches and proper machinery (Mill and Lathe) with the required tools, accessories, inventory, security measures and ventilation. It is definitely a process, but taking one step at a time.

3 Likes

Just wanted to go back to your comment about revolvers vs striker-fired pistols. One thing I am diving into regarding revolvers is timing. I understand striker-fired pistols can be fairly complex with internals, but proper revolver timing can also bring a set of complicated and dangerous issues.

Have you had any previous issues/fixes regarding cylinder or pawl timing?

1 Like

This semester classes are:

• Pistolsmithing

• Riflesmithing

• Welding & Metallurgy

• Barreling & Chambering

We’ve been fairly busy with the business over break and getting things cleaned up in the shop. We also built a private, single lane shooting berm (will be a four lane when completed) on the property for private training and test fire. We’ve also made many updates on our website Nomadlund.com.

2 Likes

Update: We’ve been busy with our USCCA courses (Emergency First Aid, CCW, and Private Pistol Training) and our own continued education with Gunsmithing. Got accepted into BSU’s Applied Engineering program and will start that Fall 2024. We are also cleaning, rearranging and setting up the shop for dry fire simulations with projection. We finally got the 100,000 btu furnace up and rolling to offer courses throughout the winter too!

Also, we now offer gift cards at Nomadlund.com. In the future, these can be redeemed towards gunsmithing/FFL services and online/onsite retail.

1 Like

Im currently enrolled in SDI’s associates of firearm technology program. If you are young and have never had a career in a semi related field i would 100% agree that one of the traditional brick and mortars will serve you better than somewhere like SDI, as it will give you very much needed hands on mechanical skills. I’ve been a diesel mechanic and metal frabricator for 20 years so i already have experience on lathes, mills, and TIG welding, so the hands on isnt as important for me. Schools like SDI are great for those of us that dont live close to somewhere like AGI and don’t have the ability to move. I half wish i would have gone ahead and went through with going to AGI 15 years ago as i had originally planned but then I wouldn’t be married :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Understandable. Thank you for sharing your experience though and definitely will have to stay in touch Matt. I am currently going to Pine Tech and the program here is great. One of a few gunsmithing programs in the nation. Luckily, about 40 minutes away from the property we bought. Reach out anytime and glad to hear SDI is going well!

1 Like

In the process of finishing up a custom barrel, chambering and muzzle on a .30-06 Remington 700.

4 Likes

Wanna make me a .224 Valkyrie barrel? :wink:

1 Like

Would definitely love to in the forceable future. Working our way up to offer more options. We can definitely put you on our waiting list!

1 Like

As long as it won’t cost me $2000. :grinning:

1 Like

This is what I’m looking at building

1 Like