Guns & Dogs

My now gone dog, Buddy was the most affectionate dog ever. He was a 3 time reject from the shelter until I picked him up. He was a rare Tibetan Terrier. What a great friend, I really miss him.
His only “fault” was he was terrified of gunfire. Didnt know this at first. After he disappeared for a couple days after my shooting I figured it out. I had to plan ahead of any shooting I did to be sure he was secure inside and gave him whatever I could to calm him. Also gave him a lot of attention before and after shooting sessions.
I sure miss him.

5 Likes

6 Likes

That gun is a carbon copy of the one I used as a young teen hunter.

2 Likes

When I was a teenager a distant neighbors dog (about 6 month old blonde lab) kept getting loose and ending up on my porch. After about the 4th time the guy offered to give me the dog and I gladly excepted. Then he told me that he was in bird dog training, had 4 classes left and were already paid for if I wanted to use them. We finished training and was the best dog I have ever owned. I had a 3 mile muskrat trapping route that we would check everyday. I would follow on dirt bike or snow mobile as he checked every trap. At end of trapping route was a 100 Acre Hunting Reserve that had been stocked with pheasant and quail for 3 years before opening to hunting. As his treat, 2 or 3 days a week we’d pheasant hunt after checking traps. Never failed to bag limit in a couple of hours. Wow, that was nearly 50 years ago, a lifetime of memories.

5 Likes

Handsome fella :+1::+1:

@Don45 Great memories indeed. :+1:

1 Like

Huck

Huck working

8 Likes

What a handsome fella.

1 Like

The best part of the day.

6 Likes

My last gun dog, a English Setter, she was a wonderful friend. I’m too long in the tooth to have another. However, I still remember…

9 Likes

My best friend now, not much of a gun dog, but she is a great “hearing ear” service dog. She lets me know about all those things I no longer hear coming at me.

8 Likes

@txtanner Nancy8 wants to know what breed your dog is. Thanks. :+1:

2 Likes

@Johnnyq60 Thank you. He gets me free food at the drive-thru. Staffy/Foxhound who thinks that rabbits are taking over the world and communes with the coyotes every night.

1 Like

Heres my pup​:dog::dog:

8 Likes

She is Australian shepherd/boarder collie. I have two and they are the smartest dogs ever. Potty trained at 9 weeks old.

4 Likes

Welcome to the family brother and God bless you.

She is a Papillon. " * The Papillon is outgoing and energetic. He loves to be with people and is a happy dog who gives kisses freely to all. The Papillon’s small size makes him easy to handle, and his coat, while profuse, is easy to care for and doesn’t shed excessively. The Papillon is happy, alert, and friendly. He should never be shy or aggressive. This is, however, a take-charge little dog with a moderate to intense activity level. He’s very smart and highly trainable and is best described as a doer, not a cuddler.

See more on dogtime.com

• The Papillon is highly energetic and takes great enjoyment in play and exercise time. Belying its tiny stature, this breed is entirely capable of walking long distances and has no apparent self awareness of size constraints. It may find itself in trouble with larger dogs, from which it will not back down, or when jumping from heights it is physically unequipped for. Unlike many toy breeds, this is a calm dog that is not prone to anxiety of shyness. Highly regarded for its intelligence, the Papillon is among the most respons…"

She lays on my shoulder when I’m in the recliner and believes she should go where ever I go. Was a Christmas present for my wife but the dog attached itself to me first and the wife second. Great breed, just as smart and trainable as my hunting dogs were. I should note I keep her under tight control outside as she has no fear and will not back down from aggressive large dogs which of course she could not defend herself from.

Sorry Bruce I meant this to be a open post and not direct towards you.

4 Likes

My Dog with a Gun.

9 Likes

@Ronnie7 Good one. :joy: Welcome to the community, we are glad to have you here. Stay safe, Bruce and Nancy. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks! I appreciate it.

3 Likes