Gun safety for newbies

His comment implies there are some here that he does not believe are “reasonable” and that he is afraid of some here. I was just wondering who he fears. Also, his definition of what is “reasonable” does need to be defined as he is categorizing those as such that they “should not even own a firearm.” That appears harsh and untoward, and not “reasonable” to me.

Of course they would need to understand how to spell Abecedarian… didn’t see Snowflake LOL

1 Like

This is the moment to do this:
:zipper_mouth_face: :shushing_face:

Unfortunately there are few topics we cannot simply discuss here. I know USCCA Community is 100% firearm related but it doesn’t mean that bearing the firearm makes me better, being Republican makes me smarter…

Anyway… I stand by my opinion…

3 Likes

This has nothing to do with politics, it has to do strictly with our inalienable rights protected by our Constitution, and our personal responsibilities as firearm owners. Training should not be mandatory. However, everyone - even non-firearm owners - should have basic firearm safety knowledge. As firearm owners, we not only need to know firearm safety, but also practice it - it is our responsibility.

There should not be a need for a class. We just need parents to step up and embrace family values so every child is made knowledgeable and respectful of weapons and gun safety. I know I’m wishing for a simpler time when at least guns were not evil and most families taught respect and common sense. I was blessed with a Father and Mother, Uncles and Cousins who all hunted, shot and carried daily. Sorry, just feeling a little old and outdated!

1 Like

Unfortunately some just do not get it.

Still equates to a poll tax. I don’t need any special permission to exercise any other right. If I misuse those rights, I am liable for the damages caused. Same with firearm ownership. I’m responsible for what I do with a gun. Training or not.

2 Likes

I feel old and outdated at times too.

And I would agree with you if only I had personally observed a majority of adults that actually knew how to handle a gun… But MOST do not. I shoot and work out of a private club and lately I have had to leave a few times because of unsafe conditions on the firing line, even after trying to gain control over the situation and being summarily ignored by new shooters and even self-proclaimed experienced ones.

I teach CCW classes every month and in my state there is a qualification of 30 rounds and you must land only 20 on target. It is NOT a shooting class and I’m not really supposed to OR have the time during qualification to train these folks, only to try not to get shot while observing them.

I have seen adults do just about everything there is to be done WRONG with a handgun, including things like gripping a pistol in a way that will leave them bleeding (and shooting multiple shots while blood is dripping down their hands before I had a chance to stop them), all the way to using the index fingers of BOTH hands or both the trigger and middle finger to pull the trigger, pointing a gun right at me after it “jams”, trying to holster loaded guns without engaging the locks or de-cockers, and so on, and so on, and so on… I could be here all day.

The actual training new gun owners get (or even seek in many cases) is non-existent and you can not count on family members or friends to train them because most of those are not trained themselves.

5 Likes

Did it in school for many decades.

Far too much energy is spent these days caring about feelings.

7 Likes

I have had a number of post censored today because somebody’s feeling were hurt. I agree that they should be more concerned with safety and not feelings.

I’ve re-read the Constitution-- AGAIN and I still cannot find the part where you are protected from “offensive” speech.
My mouse has a scroll knob and I’m not afraid to use it.

READY- hit that flag.

Yep… flagged…again.

4 Likes

There’s no crying in a shoot out! Be safe and alive, cry later.

1 Like

@Enzo_T, You’re absolutely spot on, I was just dreaming of different times. When at the range I too feel it is our responsibility to help others learn gun safety for mine and their well-being. It is appropriate and the right thing to do teaching those who don’t know. That is when they will let you. My last encounter at our outdoor range was a boyfriend/ girlfriend, both new shooters. I was at the shooting line working on a drill when I suddenly heard and felt them shooting next to me but 3-4 ft behind me. They were very receptive to my guidance and we talk for some time on safety and range etiquette. Wish everyone was that receptive. Thanks and stay safe!

4 Likes

One of my USCCA Partners (Gun Retailer) just rented a 2,300 SF area with multiple classrooms and he has given me complete control over the training schedule. One of the courses we will be giving for everyone that takes the CCW class locally will be a 3 hour intro to firearms safety, handling, rage etiquette, and maintenance specifically tailored to their own guns with demos and in-class handling exercises using dummy guns.

4 Likes

Very good and congrats, @Enzo_T !
I do hope you meant to say ‘range etiquette’, though. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Nope, rage… :rofl:

Just kidding! Yes range etiquette…

3 Likes

To your OP.
No not a law, as any law would infringe on “shall not infringe”.
Your idea of “incentives” basically, yes. “Take this intro class at $49 and get a box of ammo upon completion” or some other creative way to help folks to freely choose to take a class. The free-market does work and a good marketing plan should help out with this.

A great example is what the USCCA is doing here. They sell insurance. They offer videos, books, training to drive people to buy the insurance, it’s great marketing, something to increase the value of your product.

3 Likes

There have been numerous comments for a number of people that have removed for being outside of the Community Guidelines.

The Community has a set of commenting standards so that people from every background can come here to look for educational information and training without fear of retribution because they have different views.

Personal attacks and name-calling are not allowed in the Community.

Let’s get back to the topic at hand: Gun Safety for Newbies

2 Likes

@Danny28 - I personally am offended by your being offended… I hope that doesnt offend you… :joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

But I am most certainly NOT offended by noobie, or most of the rest of the stuff that I have read, or been called, by any others on this site.

I find it very amusing that the people who pay the bills (members) are being censored (posts removed) over such mundane conversations and obvious trolling as what I saw in the now deceased ‘Newbies, make sure your holster covers your trigger’ thread…

Did CNN take over customer relations or something??

Wait for it… I think I see the ‘off topic’ Shepard’s crook coming for this post…

5 Likes

This thread has become ridiculous.
Laws are laws
Prudent judgment is everybody’s responsibility for themselves.

2 Likes