Gun bench / work area must-haves

I will be acquiring a new bench in a new location and want to maximize it right from the start (before I overrun it with clutter)

What do you have, I wish yiu had, or plan to have in or around your work bench, related to firearms?

1 Like

Sturdy; good lighting; good ventilation; tough & non-porous surface (and/or replaceable); sturdy; low curb around the edge; wall-hang and shelf storage for frequent use tools and supplies; “away” storage for infrequent use tools and supplies; sturdy. Separate area for reloading if practical. Have fun!

Did I mention it should be sturdy? — to absorb pounding, prying, and heavy storage. (depending upon what you’re doing with it)

5 Likes

100% agreement on lighting and ventilation. Don’t forget that as you add tools, equipment, etc. to the top of your work bench you will be loosing available work space. However deep you think you need add 20%. Critical to have different size open top containers to immediately put screws, pins and small parts in. Decide if you plan to work standing or sitting: sitting requires sufficient space to get your knees under the top.

2 Likes

This is spot on. I learned that from my current bench. Getting a peg board thing for wall and putting a bunch of bins on it. Screw comes off, in it goes. Done having them roll off the front into the clutter.

From the car shop, I use a magnetic tray to catch small parts — won’t work with other than plain steel.

I also use rectangular lunch meat containers a lot to sort and manage disassembled parts, loose brass & bullets, etc. They are free (if the contents are on your grocery list); shallow; have lids; nest compactly when empty; nest partly full or stack when lidded to keep track of a project paused. Hard for me to reload or disassemble much without them now that I know.

But a curb around a bench perimeter is a good backup if your projects don’t require flat all the way to overhanging.

4 Likes

A bar mat is what I’d want. The nubs keep small parts from rolling away,

This one is a service mat size for server’s stations and is 12"x18", You can have them imprinted but the printing will be smooth and I prefer the nubs for holding small parts

Cheers!

3 Likes

I have a 6-foot-wide toolbox with a wood top and a wooden heavy-duty table with a metal shelf. I have good storage and plenty of room to work with. I just need a bigger gun safe!

Seville Classics Rolling Cabinet Workbench, 72" W x 20" D x 37.5" H, Granite Grey

3 Likes

I was looking at some set ups like this today at Home Depot. I need to get a better set up in my garage.

For guns and house stuff.

2 Likes

Make a list of the tasks you will perform on your new work bench. For each task list the tools you will use and the space you will need and answer the question for each work bench you are considering: “Can I do this task on this bench?” Tally the results, and away you go. HINT: Read the reviews submitted by actual purchasers, and make sure you understand the warranty and return policy.

3 Likes

And then submit the invoice to wife for financial approval to be denied :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

I’d have to say that the #1 installed component of my bench is a vise.

I had a 6" Harbor freight one that lasted for about 8 years, I broke it. Bought another one lasted for 3 years, I broke it. Kids got me a 5" Craftsman, lasted for 6 months, I broke it. I now have a 5" Yost Forged vise I broke it off the bench (lag bolts pulled out) but the vise is still in one piece.

In all fairness I do automotive repairs on my bench as well which is what caused the demise of all the broken vise’s and it usually involved a 2lb maul which is now affectionately named “Vise Breaker”. A forged vise is a bit spendy but considering the number of cast ones I have broken it has more than paid for itself. On vise selection I require a fair size “beating plate” on the back half. I never realized how much I used it till the Craftsman one didn’t have it.

I would put 4" as a drop dead minimum jaw width even for gunsmithing only as getting an AR tube or gas block off can be a real mother and will require some significant clamping force. As to the locking studs that hold the vise still I generally replace them with Grade 8 Bolts and lock washers over cut down flat washers as the slide in and out rods get bent and a socket is just as handy.

Magnetized rubber, aluminum, poly and smooth steel jaw inserts are a MUST. Keep them clean and keep them handy as the regular jaws on a vise will flat tear into most anything.

@Scoutbob I am seriously considering one of the roll around benches you saw at HD as my bench in the garage has about 2 SF of open space on it. While I consider most Harbor Freight items to be disposable their US General line of tool boxes are pretty doggone stout. Not Snap-On stout but better than the big box stores. You would have to get the top insert to make it a bench or rip some plywood to fit. Me being me I would probably do 7/8" cabinet grade plywood doubled and then thru bolted to the cart. The vise would get a 1/2" steel plate mounted to the plywood then drilled and tapped. Did I mention I break stuff?

Cheers,

Craig6

6 Likes

I agree that any shop needs at least one decent vise (If you can afford it, size should be proportional to your largest hammer and largest wrench).

For a dedicated gun bench however, I think I would find a vise in the way a lot of the time and would rather mount it to a different bench — if one is available. For moderate to heavy vise work, the kind of rolling tool chest @Scoutbob is looking at will take some serious reinforcement (if the chest itself could even take the stress without messing up the casters and sheet metal — not to mention jumping around).

:muscle:
I prefer to use ordinary bolts for mounting and swivel hardware — considering them as intentional failure points to give up before I wreck the vise or bench with excess enthusiasm.

3 Likes

Good discussion. My current homemade bench, which will remain in the old room, does have a vice mounted to it. And I have smacked the piss out of my elbow a few times because it is necessarily in the way when located in a useful-when-in-use location. I am considering whether or not I want another vice on the new bench.

I do like keeping an AR mag block in it most of the time, even when just field stripping an AR after a range trip it’s nice to drop it on the vice block, push takedown pin, tilt, remove BCG, have access to downhill drop the boresnake, etc. Really useful when playing adult legos with all the rail accessories moving around too.

May have talked myself into a second vice

1 Like

Vice — that’s the plural of vise, is it not?
:face_with_hand_over_mouth:
My shop vise is only a few steps away, and I prefer going there to having it in the way when I don’t need it (also handier to a general tool selection). I can see the advantage of a specialized clamping device for specific gun uses, but would prefer that to be a “temporary” thing I can either clamp to a surface when I need it, or quickly remove when I want it out of the way. Most gun applications seem suited to a lighter device (8oz hammer, screwdrivers, 8" wrenches). Step to the other vise when you want to straighten a barrel or something.

1 Like

Best gun vise for gunsmithing – The Winners!

{Updated} Top 10 Best gun vise for gunsmithing {Guide & Reviews} (toptenatoz.com)
Tipton Ultra Gun Vise with Heavy-Duty Construction, Customizable Design and Non-Marring Materials for Cleaning, Gunsmithing and Maintenance

• DIMENSIONS: 32.5 inch L x 11 inch W x 10.5 inch
  • EASE OF USE: All 4 feet are non-slip and independently adjustable, the tool and accessory trays are removable and the entire vise mounts directly to the benchtop (hardware not included)
  • VERSATILITY: Ball and socket articulating clamp pads allow for the pads to adapt to any firearm’s surface with height and length adjustable front and rear clamps
  • NON-DESTRUCTIVE: Non marring, glass filled nylon vise/clamp construction
  • DURABLE: Features a steel tube frame structure
  • CAUTION: Designed for working on a firearm and should never be used as a shooting rest – also should not be used as a bow press
  • GUARANTEED: This product is covered by a limited lifetime warranty provided by Tipton. Please email support@tiptonclean.com for assistance
1 Like

Actually, she was totally onboard with it. You have to watch out for the quid pro quo, however.

2 Likes

I was just joking myself. I’ve been talking about getting the garage organized better for awhile and she’s on board.

2 Likes

1 Like

Boy, either that’s a major catch or somebody got an epic deal on that!

4 Likes

That reminds me of the day I walked into Sam’s Club and found a 1/2 pallet of Starlight Double Rifle cases marked down to $48.00. I flagged down the nearest associate got a pallet jack and went straight through the self check out line. I posted them and a forum and they were gone in 30 minutes at double the price plus shipping. I kept the 6 free ones.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes