Grandson shot himself with other grandparents weapon

My grandson obtained a weapon from his other grandparents and shot himself in the hand. I tried going to the Children, Youth, and Family division (CYFD) to report this incident and they would have nothing to do with it. Called State Police and they gave the same answer. Do I file some form for the red flag law in the state? Should I file some kind of restraining order? Does anyone know what to do in New Mexico to prevent my grandson for hurting one of the other three minor children?

5 Likes

I am sorry to hear about your grandson. Does your grandson live with you. What have the parents done? How did your grandson obtain the weapon? What did the local police say? I would think that the hospital would have to make a report to the police.

6 Likes

Talk to an attorney

9 Likes

:point_up::point_up::point_up:Hello and welcome @JOHN1607

7 Likes

I feel for your family. I understand that your grandson is underage. What do you mean by “obtained” - was it a theft? Also do you feel the other three children in the family are specifically threatened by your grandson, or are you concerned about weapon not properly secured in the house? If you clarify, it will help folks on the forum recommend the course of action. There are LE officers here.

7 Likes

I have few details as he does not live with me, he lives with the other grandparents. From what I have found out he found the weapon, loaded it and, hopefully, shot himself by accident. My daughter received a call Tuesday evening from the grandchild that he had found and loaded the weapon. given the nature of his injury, his hand, I believe he was doing quick draw McGraw. Few details were given by him and the other grandparents would not speak to my daughter. The child (15) stated that the ambulance and police were at their house but when contacting the Albuquerque police department she was unable to receive any information. Have no idea which hospital he was taken to.

4 Likes

I don’t think you’re going to like my answer unless you’re the child’s guardian it’s none of your business.

This is not your child it, is somebody else’s child.

This is a minor child. It involves the parents and the The person who owned the gun and of course the authorities.
, HIPAA and privacy preclude you from being told anything or being able to do anything unless the parents tell you, you are out of the loop.

Unfortunately, none of this involves you.
And there’s nothing for you to report.

10 Likes

:point_up: The hard truth… :thinking:

5 Likes

That may well be true.

An attorney could tell you a lot more than we could, and personal/private information would be infinitely safer with an attorney than with the publicly accessibly internet.

4 Likes

An attorney might be able to word it more eloquently, and not be as blunt, but the message is going to be the same.

7 Likes

First off welcome @JOHN1607 and sorry this happened in your family.

I’m guessing if the other grandparents have custody, there’s some court intervention that made things that way.

As such;

And;

4 Likes

Dear JOHN1607. Welcome. Got some experience in this field. I also posted you more info privately. If you never receive my private info, please let me know here brother.

Brief outline on NM laws, per USCCA map: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/nm-gun-laws/

Peace.

3 Likes

Teach your grandson gun safety. At 15 he is more than old enough. Both of my grandkids have been hunting since they were 11 or 12

8 Likes

At 15 years YOUR grandson should have received some kind of firearm education. Be thankful he did not die as a result of this failure.

8 Likes

So sad and I could almost relate except recent events have most likely altered my grandson’s future for the better.

@Don102 our amigo from Nueva Mexico might have dos centavos to share.

4 Likes

@JOHN1607 Welcome to the community! Sorry about your grandson, maybe a long shot, but try Glasheen, Valles & Inderman (505) 588-7910, or the DA’s Office. Good luck!

5 Likes

John1607,

Welcome to the Fold Brother, As Bean said I live in Albuquerque myself, Unfortunately I have no answers but I do have facts. CYFD is the WORST Child Care.gov in the country. They are infected with wokeness and bleed the .gov of money yet do very little good for their ‘community’. APD/State Police are handcuffed (no pun intended) because of CYFD and the Blu State Wokeness that believes in keeping the child with their ‘Family’ even if the family is the major cause of the Childs disfunction. Krazy stoopid! The mother’s an addict?, She’s still his/her mother. Mama’s had (5) children with different ‘Boyfriends’? drinks ‘A little’? OK
This country is bassakwards now when it comes to rational, common sense problem solving and New Mexico is on the bottom rung in almost every category measured for .gov Over reach and management in all (50) States–we still have (50) right? we didn’t lose Texas yet or Hawaii hasn’t sunk?
The last comment is the ‘Child’ is (15) correct? Is Considered an ADULT in Cactus Junction
(Phunnie, how SOMETIMES 15 is a child and sometimes their an adult—when it suits the .gov Narratives.) As you can see I don’t have a high opinion of anything .gov but Children in troubled situations have a very hard time getting to young adulthood. They go towards their Second Family Gangs/Streets to teach them the ‘smarts’ to survive. As some have suggested going to Lawyers… Good luck with that. You have an expensive fight on your hands because you WILL then be going up against that same .gov entity (with unlimited funds) to try and save the child who may not want you to save them. Are you willing to take the Boy in of you win? What’s the end goal? Does the Boy even speak to you? Are you willing to cause family upheaval trying to rescue this child? Hard Questions Indeed but needed to be said.
Godspeed John, I do not envy your situation.
PS: CYFD just got ‘audited’ and found rampant Corruption and Abuse and that organization
is going to be ‘revamped’ again (yearly) .GOV is NOT here to help ANYBODY.

7 Likes

Sorry your grandson did that to himself. With that said I think he has learned a valuable lesson. Don’t play with loaded guns. I understand your anger and would be mad as hell too. I think the quickest solution is to teach the kid proper gun safety and take him to a range for training and practice. He was curious about guns with nobody to turn to, to teach him. Be that person to teach him.

Just thank the Lord it was his hand and him not playing Russian roulette or with another child. I am very sorry this happened to him and the family.

Edit: you said there were two more kids in the home as well. Be proactive and teach them and take them to a range as well.

8 Likes

Thank you for your response. This was well thought out and presented in a thoughtful manner. The child’s mother, who happens to be my daughter, is beside herself and is trying to prevent the grandparents from posing a danger to him or the other three children. This child has already been pistol whipped, stripped, and left in a park. If he see’s the gun as a remedy to a problem he may be the one in jail in the future. Thank you for you timely reply. Oh, by the way HIPAA is for medical information. Thought you would like to know that.

4 Likes

Thank you, I agree as CYFD only checks if the child has water in the house and food in the fridge.

3 Likes