GoRuck Firearm Training Courses

Has anyone ever run through any of the training courses offered by GoRuck? There is one coming to my area and I would be interested in hearing opinions/experiences from those who have attended any of their courses.

Jeff

https://www.goruck.com/firearms-training/

2 Likes

I’ve seen their equipment for sale, but didn’t know they offered training.

Yeah, I didn’t know that either. I have a friend who is a huge fan of GoRuck products who brought it to my attention and he wants me to go with him to the course.

1 Like

They’ve got a lot of events in the midwest… where are you thinking about going? Which training?

I’m looking at the one in Los Angeles. One day is Active Shooter Intervention and the next day is Counter Ambush Response. I was thinking of at least doing the Active Shooter Intervention, but if I am already there I was thinking why not do the next day training too.

1 Like

Well if you go, let us know what you think!

So, I completed the Go Ruck firearms training courses this past weekend and can say I am excited to share my thoughts about the courses.

https://www.goruck.com/firearms-training/

TLDR: Basically, my thoughts boil down to this. By far the BEST firearms training courses I have ever taken. Fast paced, practical skills taught by extremely skilled and experienced firearms professionals. I enjoyed them and learned so much, I will be making sure I repeat these courses at least once yearly.

The Details
The courses were taught by what I can only describe as masters at the art of using firearms. One is a former Navy SEAL and the other is a former Army Special Forces/Green Beret. The instruction was direct, no B.S., and practical. All throughout, safety was stressed and adhered to throughout.

The first course I took was Active Shooter Invention. The course is described as follows “Learn the fundamentals of safely operating a semi-automatic pistol along with basic counter-terror strategies that will better equip you to react to active shooter situations. - All Skill Levels”.

This 8 hour course began with covering the basics like many courses and progressively moved to more complex skills; components of the handgun, proper grip, sight alignment, sight picture, trigger press and reset, rate of fire, magazine changes, getting off the X, drawing from concealment, etc. While the course layers skill set on top of skill set, the course is fast paced and students need to be dialed in as it can feel like drinking from a fire hose. The course is not a simple “stand-there-and-shoot” course and focuses heavily on being able to effectively respond to a self-defense incident like that of an active shooter. We shot about 300 rounds.

While it is advertised as being for all skills levels, which it is, I would say that shooters who attend this course should be comfortable with the operation of the weapon they choose to use during the course prior to attending. This will make it easier to focus on the skills they are covering, instead of getting use to where your magazine release is and what the decocker/safety does on your gun.

After the class, I took the 2 hour F.I.G.H.T. course. The course is described as follows: “Self-defense training: We will be using rubber/plastic non-guns for disarming movements and will focus primarily on that topic to complement all the gun handling skills delivered in our FAD courses”.

This two hour course focused on exactly what is described. Not much to add, other than while I have had similar instruction elsewhere in the past, I learned new skills and techniques.

The next day, I took the Counter Ambush Response class. The class is described as follows: “All scenarios revolve around shooting from inside, outside or around vehicles including driver/passenger reaction drills, fighting from inside /outside the vehicle, and countering street-side threats (carjacking)

This 8 hour class was intense. When they walked us through what we would be doing (4 person live fire from inside, outside, and around a vehicle), I was telling myself ‘no way’. We covered effective use of concealment and cover, coordinated moves from shooting position to position - bounding, and so much more.

Just like the previous day, it was skill set building on top of skill set. By the end of the day, we were running drill after drill with 4 shooters starting inside the vehicle and responding to an ‘attack’. Each shooter knew exactly what they needed to do based on which seat they were in to respond to an attack and gain the upper hand with coordinated effective fire. The drills do require a bit of physical activity; Exiting the vehicle rapidly, taking kneeling positions, movements from one location to another, and what turned out to be the most challenging for me…climbing over the center console from the passenger seat to the driver seat and out of the car to take my assigned position outside of the car. Each run through was progressively more difficult with additional physical and auditory stressors being placed on us during the drills. About another 300-400 rounds fired.

They consider this an advanced course and I agree. It would be best to take the Active Shooter Intervention before taking this course.

These courses, as well as others, are taught in various locations throughout the country. If you are looking to change up your routine training experience with more intense and challenging instruction, I would encourage everyone to consider attending these. They are reasonably priced and personally I found the other students to be awesome, like-minded Americans who believe in practical self-defense.

To find a class scheduled near you, visit: GORUCK Events

Jeff