"God" Given Rights?

This topic has been split from another topic Disappointed in the USCCA due to being a side conversation that needs its own topic.

I’m perhaps out of the topic, but I 'm not sure if GOD gave us the right to carry… This is of course our right, but given us by other people.
Maybe I’m mistaken, but still couldn’t find any word said by GOD about carrying the gun…
:thinking:

4 Likes

Luke 11:21 “When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own mansion, his property is safe.”

13 Likes

All is about interpretation…
However I do agree that we have this right … I’m not sure if this was really given by God.
Thx @Michael7 for the citation. Somehow it helped to understand why people use “God given right” phrase.

4 Likes

There are other applicable verses and passages supporting self defense along with many that address being kind and showing mercy. I’m not preaching, just something I looked into for my own peace of mind.

5 Likes

10 Likes

OK, :expressionless:

still interpretation.
“endowed by their Creator” is not the same as “Creator said…”

Anyway. I was just saying, it’s only my opinion. I’m Catholic and for me God gave us life, not right to kill, not right to defend ourselves. These were created by humans and adopted to everyday life.

These are just words, however these words have been bothering me for a long time and sometimes they may be misused. That’s the reason I prefer “constitutional right”, not “God given right”.

5 Likes

Calling it a “constitutional right” indicates that the Constitution, and thus the government, gives us the right. That is not the case. The government doesn’t give us, the people, anything. In fact, the Constitution is there to restrict the government from taking our rights away. They are constitutionally protected rights for sure, but the rights are inherently ours and the founders used the concept of “God given” rights to show they are not something man can restrict as they come from a higher power. Regardless of your specific religious beliefs, your inherent rights as a human (specifically an American) are protected from the government, not granted by it.

11 Likes

As you see… everything is just the way how we interpret the words.
My interpretation is “constitutional right” because it clearly says “we have rights”. God never put weapons in out hands with the right to use it.

Anyway… It’s nice to see other’s opinion about this…

2 Likes

Luke 22:36…
I would not make the case that there were firearms during the life & ministry of JESUS CHRIST. The Roman soldiers of that day, for example, carried swords. Simon Peter in the Gospel of John chapter 18, has a sword (on his person) which he pulled & cut a man’s ear off. Nowadays, we cannot carry the sword legally. But, we can carry the firearm, the modern-day sword. Notice also that JESUS doesn’t rebuke Peter for having the sword; He only tells Peter to put it back into it’s place. Just my opinion… :v:t5:

8 Likes

If there is truly “free will” … it follows that an individual present on planet earth is here of his own free will. If the individual wants to stay alive for a certain amount of time on earth … and someone else attempts to shorten that time period … then the “free will” person gives himself authorization to use whatever means necessary to continue living. God just minds his own business and no one need use the God-given comment.
I didn’t arrive here on earth to have someone else set my agenda.

2 Likes

I had more firearms training growing up on a farm than I did in the military. God, I believe, wants us to be peaceful, at the same time being prepared to defend.

8 Likes

Gov’t only limits rights, it cannot create them.

6 Likes

Spend some time researching “Christian Self Defense”. You’d be surprised what you can find in the bible on the topic.

6 Likes

It comes directly from our founding documents. The Founders Believed strongly that all our rights come from our creator. Gov’ts can define them, defend them, but essentially all they do is limit them.

7 Likes

I strongly believe that all the rights came from The Founders then… Founders believed, they were not told by God.
Anyway. This is not going to be better. All we here have own point of view. The most important is to respect others’ thoughts. And I do so.

2 Likes

You might want to do some research on The Founders, and the Founding. To a man they believed they were divinely inspired and guided as expressed in their writings.

Might I suggest you start with the Preamble to the Declaration of Independence?

When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness… .

10 Likes

Given rights are not the same as to believe these rights were given.
I wrote this already - everyone has own opinion and interpretation. I respect if somebody believes in “God given rights”. I just believe in these rights.

3 Likes

The history is not a matter of belief, it’s just the history.

Whether one believes in God and God Given rights themselves doesn’t matter really, it is what they believed that matters when it comes to our protected rights which they believed came from a higher authority than man and thus could not be limited by man.

Where it really matters is in the courts particularly when you are arguing from an originalist perspective.

If God, or “The Creator” is the ultimate authority and that is where our most basic and constitutionally protect rights come from then no man or gov’t instituted by man has the moral authority to infringe upon them.

8 Likes

It is our God given right to protect ourselves and constitutionally afforded right to keep and bear arms.

4 Likes

:zipper_mouth_face::shushing_face: as promised

1 Like