Gloves for winter shooting

Came across these gloves at REI and thought they might work for winter shooting outside… they worked awesome! They’re actually fishing gloves but I was outside shooting for a couple of hours in 32 degree weather (with the windchill factor) and didn’t lose my finger dexterity, they cut the wind nicely and didn’t impair my shooting.

Open fingers, palm, and suede grip on first two fingers.

Outdoor Research Active Ice Casting Gloves, Fatigue, Large

11 Likes

But they aren’t tactical… lol

Looks like a great find. I never thought of using fishing gloves but it makes a ton of sense.

1 Like

Well, they’re OD Green… does that count? :laughing:

2 Likes

Multicam or digital otherwise we’re just hippies. Lol

1 Like

Well here you go then…
Riverruns Fingerless Fishing Gloves are Designed for Men and Women Fishing, Boating, Kayaking, Hiking, Running, Cycling and Driving. (CamoGreen, L)

3 Likes

I just use a pair of winter mecahnix that I found that works well for me with trigger guard etc.

Glad they were OR (Outdoor Research) and not REI, based on REI’s anit-2A position (hadn’t heard anything negative like that for OR).

1 Like

And here’s your hippie gloves @Sheepdog556 :joy:

https://www.rei.com/product/144285/outdoor-research-activeice-spectrum-sun-gloves

2 Likes

I like these, they are warm but thin enough to feel the controls. You give up the waterproof feature but you can cut a slit in the trigger finger if you really need to have your finger exposed.

2 Likes

Well played ma’am.

2 Likes

Although I need to test them at the range, I usually wear those all-season sport gloves (fingers and palms have some sort of rubberized design on them) for good dexterity in the winter. Initially, they were Under Armour’s Armour Liner Gloves, but lately I’ve been using Cabela’s brand because they have a very thin layer of Thinsulate… plus a finger patch for using a touchscreen. I’ll usually purchase overgloves a size larger to go over them if I am working outside in the cold for long periods of time.

2 Likes

I’ll toss in my three season suggestion; Golf Gloves. Ya, they make you buy them one hand at a time, but soft smooth supple leather… ahhhhhhh… (and great under a pair of mtts if needed!

1 Like

I wonder if I could make dual use of them - winter shooting and spring and fall motorcycle riding? :thinking:

1 Like

I don’t know if you want supple leather gloves for riding. When I was younger, I went down (high side) and slid for about 100 feet on the road with my hands out to stabilize my roll. My hands would have been like burnt toast without decent riding gloves.

Side note, it was dumb luck that that day I decided to wear protective gear (donated by a friend who never used them). The full-face helmet’s chin was ground, and the back of the head area also showed signs of impact. My thick jeans from the hips to the knees looked like Swiss cheese, which meant my skin/fat were ground down to the bone on my left hip, and knee (can’t really notice it now-a-days).

2 Likes

I was told by one young Lady I looked like Luke Skywalker in my leathers and helmet… another Lady, a paramedic told me she was going to cut me out of my leathers when she found me out on the road.
… to which all I could say was, please do, and thank you! Glad to hear you survived @Scotty!

2 Likes

Nomex Flight Gloves, sage. Great gloves.

Those you have look interesting, but for some, the fingertips are the problem. I know my fingertips get cold even in gloves. They do look interesting though and something that might be worth a look.

1 Like

Not exactly warm, but have the ability to use your fingers. Not a bad idea.

1 Like

who knew :grinning:

1 Like