Gifted a handgun (357) from a deceased brother in Chicago , I live in Indiana

I have my carry license in indiana , Do need to anything .

1 Like

Methinks I’d just pick it up and get it the heck out of Illinois…

2 Likes

Did he leave it directly to you? Federal law allows the direct transfer in such cases. If so, you should be able to just get it, follow Illinois firearm transportation laws, and head back to Indiana. Unless I’m reading the law wrong. Maybe @MikeBKY can chime in with more expertise.

2 Likes

That’s a great question, @James284! Hopefully @MikeBKY or @Tom_Grieve can chime in. I haven’t heard much about transferring firearms due to family deaths. :thinking:

After a quick google search, here’s some info - this is NOT legal advice, just a google search result. I would contact an attorney in IL for complete laws and loopholes:

From: https://www.tuohylawoffices.com/gun-transfers-following-death-or-disability/

Find an attorney in the area where your brother lived and ask their advice. I think that would be your best bet for the right legal answer.

3 Likes

I would bring your copy of your brothers Will that was provided you as one of the Beneficiaries of your brothers Will. Another way would be to receive the gun bring to a gun store a FFL, have them send to you in IN. A little variation but you would be 100% legal. Or wait for awhile until the weather is better and I could meet you somewhere and I could go with you to the IL/IN border and hand you the gun.

I agree with what @45IPAC is saying in a general sense but I believe IL has put universal background checks in place. I believe the safest way would be to have he transfer done by an IL FFL and have it sent to an IN FFL. The executor should bring a copy of the will and his order of appointment as evidence of the transfer.

3 Likes

That’s why I tagged you. Being a lawyer, you speak legaleaze. The worst case scenario going through an FFL, @James284, is being out a little money. In all actuality, having it shipped from one FFL to one near you, is probably cheaper than the gas to drive back and forth. Better safe than sorry.

3 Likes

@45IPAC I think it’s like only $25 isn’t it Chet? And the IN cost to pick up.

1 Like

@MikeBKY I think I will start another thread on the issue of a Living Will vs. a Trust for the specific purpose of firearms and would appreciate your input as it is germane to this topic. This topic is good for those the just inherit a firearm outright. As I have come to understand it executors are responsible to provide documentary evidence that they have complied with or attempted to comply with the Will of the deceased hence a transfer through an FFL to the beneficiary would suffice as long as the beneficiary is eligible to receive the item. Whole 'nother can of worms if the sole beneficiary is a felon or in a state where they cannot possess said item.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Around here, 25 is the going rate for handgun transfer.

2 Likes

I think same here, same fee.

2 Likes

Thank You for all the input . carry on

2 Likes