Friday Favorite: Shotgun

Just saw these in the new issue of FUR-FISH-GAME, looks interesting. $22.99 10rnd. box MSRP.

2 Likes

I’m old skool. My home defense shotgun is a Winchester 1200 Defender with a Choate pistol grip stock. No chokes…just line up the bead sight and start the storm. Here she is with a GP100:

3 Likes

Nice combo. Switch to a Mossberg 535, and what you have there is what I carry deer hunting.

3 Likes

Thanks. That pic is well over 10 years old. That GP100 was purchased in 1998 for $376.00. Along about 2010 I had to sell it…it was painful! About a month ago I came acrross this slightly used GP100:

I like the Hogue grips on it…but the shocker was I paid more for it used than the one I bought new. I bought it for the same purpose…a hunting sidearm.

3 Likes

I’m a big Remington fan at the moment. Both of my twin sons recently bought 12-gauge 870’s. One got an older, gently used but still in great shape Wingmaster and the other one got a Super Mag. I personally have an old J.C. Higgins bolt-acton, 3-shot 16-gauge still in perfect working order that I enjoy putting a few shots through every so often.

2 Likes

Funny you should say that!! One of my sons found a Wingmaster in fantastic condition back at the beginning of May in a pawn shop for $300. I told him he better jump on that deal! It was his first ever gun purchase and he loves it. He’s planning on doing some duck hunting with it this Fall.

2 Likes

I have an H&R 12ga riot gun. I got it at Walmart years ago. It holds 3" rounds, it was $130 & it’s a tank. I don’t bird hunt any longer. I have it to my little sister when she divorced. She lives in the sticks.

I put a light on it & a kick pad sleeve that holds a few more shells. I used to hunt with a Winchester ranger pump. Loved it

2 Likes

Used to own two Remington 870 Wingmaster shotguns passed down to me from my Grandfather. Both made in late 1960s. Kept them in great shape, used them many times over many years. Recently gave one to a nephew in the USN and the other to my son for a birthday. Really missed them. Replaced with 870 Express. I’m a Remington 870 fan.

5 Likes

I’ve had my 870 since the early ‘70s. I recently put a shorter barrel and new furniture on it, to set it up as a defensive shotgun. At my age, it’s not likely I’ll be traipsing after birds, anymore.

3 Likes

I’d like some recommendations on shotguns for home defense and how to learn about using them. I am a newbie to firearms, and below newbie when it comes to shotguns! :smiley: :smiley:

4 Likes

More info then I can type. :+1:

5 Likes

And then you have…

6 Likes

Thanks, @BRUCE26 - I will review these, learn more about them, and see if my local range has any I can try out.

3 Likes

This is my Winchester 1200 Defender:

I just added the light to it. I bought it while in the Navy in Jacksonville FL from a pawn shop for $90.00. It’s my first and only pump…and its reliable.

3 Likes

Nice piece of hardware.

1 Like

Thanks bro. I can’t forget the purchase. It was 1983 and my squadron was on the USS America at Ft Lauderdale as backup support for the Grenada Invasion.

I bought it so the wife would have a good home defense weapon. Hard to believe that was 37 years ago.

2 Likes