Fort Hood Soldier Shoots Protestor

This case is worth watching in the long run. In summary Fort Hood soldier working a part time job in Austin encountered protesters on Congress St. According to statements he made to police and his attorney he fired his concealed carry handgun out the window after an assault rifle was pointed at him. As he drove off another concealed carrier opened up in his vehicle. Austin police are continuing to investigate and seeking all video or witnesses to the shootings.

CCL carrier kills Austin protester

The case goes to the very heart of TX concealed carry and use of deadly force. It bears watching by all who are CCL carriers. My best,

2 Likes

This case shows what’s been said here over and over. His social media is going to haunt his defense. We need to watch everything we say.

4 Likes

The only mistake he had made was to stop his vehicle. This exposed him to some life-threatening factors immediately. Otherwise, it is my humble opinion he performed examplary when faced with deadly threat, including his interaction with police.

1 Like

@Alexander8 I agree. I hope you get to be on the jury while the prosecution puts his social media post on the overhead. An obstcale his defense shouldn’t need to over come.

1 Like

The standard is what reasonable person would do. A reasonable person finding himself in the middle of an aggressive mob, and staring down the business end of AK47 should prepare to meet his Maker.
I get your point though.

1 Like

If in fact a protestor did point a rifle at him do you think there would be justification? Maybe he’s was trying to drive away to save his own life. Well anyways what ever video they come up with will help or hurt this soldier.

Thank you all for sharing and you see the various points. My 2 chances of being on a jury ended with a peremptory challenge from the defense. The case will bear watching for developments.

2 Likes

I know patience is running thin with the way things are going right now, but always be mindful of your words. These days what you say and how you say it can end up haunting you… it’s easy for some suit to collect all the words you put out there, and make you look like a cold killer or vigilante. In the event that you have to defend yourself, don’t make their job easy. If you keep your head, you limit the ammo they get.

3 Likes

Austin is our next closest city. This incident just reinforces our household policy that we DON’T go into the city. Whereas many folks have to for work or other essential travels as optional travel you just have to weigh the risks and benefits.

There is one restaurant downtown that we USED to go to. No more. Than we think of all the other folks saying the same thing we do and can’t imagine how this has impacted the local downtown businesses. It’s so sad, we wish it were 2019 again.

3 Likes

His tweets will definitely be brought up. We all have to be careful about our phrasing of our message. We want to defend ourselves. We train to be as safe and accurate as possible in a worst case scenario - and we train to do our best to avoid a worst case scenario.

Anything you post can be found and used against you - including in private messages, texts and emails.

Train with your words as much as you train physically.

4 Likes

When someone carrying a firearm aims it at someone, that is a clear and present danger and as such, you should always be allowed to defend yourself. These “protesters” who choose to openly carry firearms as a way to intimidate people are terrorists. To quote a police officer who once pulled me over said when I showed him my concealed carry permit, “you draw, I draw and the conversation ends.”

The one thing I feel needs to be addressed, if the protester took aim on someone in a car, he should be arrested for brandishing a firearm, unlawful incarceration (at gunpoint), and any number of other laws they can throw at them. We need to stop this behavior of people using guns to intimidate and threaten. Firearms are tools, to be used to help us stay alive, get enjoyment from shooting targets, admire in a collection, or use to secure food. Using them to threaten others makes the wielder a criminal and they need to be held accountable. My two cents.

6 Likes

Well, this one’s dead now. So there’s that.

3 Likes

It will be interesting Ken38. The case must go a to a grand jury and the shooter must appear. I hope he has insurance or his wallet is toast. I have no idea when APD will release a report but it’s usually many months afterward.

3 Likes

Sorry if I missed it. But, what was his business in Congress St.?

“Walk away from trouble if you can.” -Kenny Rogers

1 Like

He was working as a ride share driver.

I don’t know about social media, but the BLM guy that was shot was pretty arrogant in a video taken not long before the incident. I see the defense using that video …

8 Likes

What is your criterion for the city to be safe again to visit?

1 Like

@Gary_H, that video does look useful for the defense.

1 Like

A couple of years ago I discontinued using the “angry” emoji as my comment on anything. Why? Don’t want some prosecutor pointing to me at the defense table saying “He’s got a known history of angry rhetoric.” Just since the Floyd protests started I’ve started going back to my previous posts on websites and started deleting anything showing any opinion of a disparaging nature in politics and civics. Why? Same! I’ve got USCCA backing me up. But I don’t want to make their job any more difficult than it is already.

I don’t wear “shoot me first” apparel, nor do I have decals and bumper stickers on my vehicles (except the travel destinations my wife liked). I don’t open carry. And I try to extend my situational awareness to blocks down the street in the metro, and miles down the highway.

We’ve had mostly peaceful protests in our medium sized city. But there have been some cases of protesters throwing things at cops, and passing cars, just because they can get away with it. We had two cops grazed by bullets fired from someone who turned out to be on the fringe of the crowd with an intent to cause trouble. Sad event but redeeming factor was crowd turned in video of his shots fired.

Be a silent witness until it is time to defend your life and those you love.
I’ll be honest. I’m a civilian. I’ll think twice about drawing and running to the defense of the sheep. I’ve got my own flock to go home to at the end of the excitement.
It just isn’t worth some nut calling 911 with a “man with a gun” call whether it is their own insecurity, or a planned attempt to ruin my day.

7 Likes

I wish to thank everyone who responded to this post for their comments. They’re all quite good and point out some of the difficulties in CCL. I will try and keep an eye on this case and if and when it’s resolved I’ll try to bring the resolution to the forum but I suspect this will take a couple of years. I have the time I think :slightly_smiling_face: My best to all and be careful out there,

2 Likes

As it should be. Protesting peacefully is your right. Threatening or intimidating is not.

3 Likes