Forgot my gun in my truck and my wife gets pull over?

She’s not prohibited from carrying a firearm?

But is she permitted to carry a firearm in your state?

It sounds like your state is CT, in which case, if she doesn’t have a carry permit, she is not permitted to carry a gun.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/ct-gun-laws/

Carry in a vehicle?

Yes, with a valid CT Pistol Permit only. Otherwise, the weapon must be unloaded and the firearm and ammunition must be stored in separate locked containers during transport. As of October 1, 2019, any pistol or revolver in an unattended motor vehicle must be in the trunk, a locked safe or locked glove box or in a locked toolbox or utility box attached to the bed of a pickup truck.

6 Likes

@Nathan57 thanks for the info.

3 Likes

As an Atheist and a former Northerner (well in my eyes, anyway), I will not “bless your heart”. We all know that is meant as an insult, something we are not supposed to do to other members. Your behavior is dispicable. Go flog yourself and say your appropriate prayers of redemption - if there are any to address your vile post.

2 Likes

Whatever floats your boat. Don’t you know that First Amendment is grand! It guarantees your right to openly profess atheism and my right to free expression. You use the term “we” presuming to speak for the company assembled…to all who comprise the “we”, God bless each and every one of you…

4 Likes

The community guidelines for this forum state “We do expect interactions to be respectful even when there are disagreements.”

please DO NOT post:
Call names or personally attack anyone in or outside of the Community - including public figures, politicians and moderators.

We have a Terms of Service describing your (and our) behavior and rights related to content, privacy, and laws. To use this service, you must agree to abide by our TOS .

Sorry, I am not offended by religious expressions, but you appear to need that more than others.

Respectfully, God Bless America

3 Likes

According to every state and federal law I have seen cars and homes are treated as two completely different things. You may own the car but as soon as it leaves your driveway it is no longer located on your property.

Your wife would be considered to be in possession of a firearm while operating a motor vehicle in public. That is legal in some states without a CCW license depending on how it is stored, but I suspect not in CT. She could claim ignorance to the fact a firearm was in the car and MIGHT get a reduced sentence or even let off in a less anti self defense State but she would likely be breaking the law in CT and face potential jail time regardless of how unconstitutional that law may be.

4 Likes

When I conduct my permit to carry classes, I try to get couples to attend together and encourage both individuals to get their permits. I price my classes to being only marginally more expensive for a couple than for an individual. A lot of times a spouse will say that they “have no intention to carry” and I will pose the question, “what if your spouse leaves his/her handgun in the car and you get pulled over?” My logic seems to make sense to my students (and to me).

9 Likes

That is a great thing to do.

My FIL had his IL FOID and then carry license, his wife had neither.

Literally a round of ammunition falls out of the range bag and then wife drives the car, criminal.

2 Likes

Nevada says you can basically carry in your vehicle but it must out in the open IIRC???

1 Like

“Without a permit, a handgun may not be concealed on your person. It must either be entirely visible or in a concealed place away from your person. In addition, although this ordinance conflicts with Nevada state law, North Las Vegas city ordinance 9.32.080 prohibits the carrying of dangerous and deadly weapons in vehicles unless carried in good faith for the purpose of “honest work, trade or business, or for the purpose of legitimate sport or recreation.””

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/nv-gun-laws/

I would think it very unlikely cops would search the trunk of a vehicle being driven by a woman, for just a traffic stop.

1 Like

“Ma’am, are there are weapons in the vehicle?”

Does OP have any firearms or 2A type stickers, decals, etc, anywhere on the vehicle?

Also, if OP is in CT, the USCCA reciprocity map says:

“Yes. Your Connecticut driver’s license is linked to your Connecticut pistol permit. Therefore, a law enforcement officer will be notified immediately that you are a concealed carry permit holder if they run your driver’s license.”

So how that works is that if OP’s name is on the registration for the truck, LEO runs registration, then runs license of registered owner, bam, permit shows up…so, “ma’am, are there any firearms in the vehicle?”.

3 Likes

Theoretically that’s true, but is a cop pulling over a woman for, say, not using her turn signal, going to bother with all that? Of course, if the gun is in the trunk, in a case, many states are fine with that. If the case is locked, all the better. I suppose it gets more iffy if it’s in a gun safe under the seat, more accessible to the driver, but still locked up.
Let’s take it up another level: “Ma’am, I notice this car is registered to (your husband), who is a concealed carry licensee. Is there a weapon in the vehicle?” Woman: “Since this is my husband’s vehicle, I really don’t know.” “Do I have your permission to search the trunk?” Woman: “Well, you only pulled me over for not using my turn signal, so I will have to politely decline.” Is there any probable cause for a search?

5 Likes

If life ever actually turned out like this, it would be quite wonderful.

2 Likes

I’d be curious to find out if concealed carry licensees are subjected to a higher percentage of car searches, during routine traffic stops, compared to the general public.

4 Likes

CO honors both UT and FL, as long as you are a resident of either state.

I’m fortunate that my NM license pretty much covers me in any state I’d care to travel to. (But NM only issues licenses to residents.)

1 Like

In my experience in NM, officers relax and are much more friendly as soon as I show them my NM CCW license. I also had a great experience with a NV highway patrolman out in the middle of nowhere in central NV. Not only did he write me up for a considerably slower speed than he clocked me at, but before the end of our encounter we were talking about guns like two buddies at a gun shop.

3 Likes

There are infinite ways it could turn out. I do not recall seeing the OP state that the gun would be unloaded, or locked up, or in the trunk. I don’t think his Truck probably a trunk, either. :wink:

Edit: Specifically, if it is indeed CT, “the weapon must be unloaded and the firearm and ammunition must be stored in separate locked containers”

I read that as not only must the firearm be unloaded, and in a locked container, but the ammo must ALSO be in its very own locked container.

1 Like

Yeah, I know. CT resident.

1 Like