Forgot my gun in my truck and my wife gets pull over?

That’s all true, but it fails to give credit where credit is due. He’s asking. That’s the first step to knowing. If laws in his state are written like the laws in mine, he’s going to need some help making sense of them. My biggest problem with the question is that it isn’t framed in a state-specific way.

4 Likes

DON’T forget where your gun is! Don’t leave it in your truck!!! Truck thieves are looking for guns. Main reason for all break ins. Know where your weapons are at all times. I know your question is probably hypothetical but being responsible for your weapons is paramount.

4 Likes

Connecticut and i mentioned in one of my replies!!

It was kind of hinted at but not absolute, thanks for clarifying. Things aren’t always as obvious in text.

So the answer at minimum is the gun needs to be unloaded in a locked container and the ammo needs to be in a separate locked container, if your wife is going to drive it without you

Also, even if you are the driver of the truck, when you leave the gun/truck unattended the pistol or revolver must be in a locked safe or locked glove box or locked utility box attached to the bed of your pickup truck.

So if I were you, and the possibility exists that you leave your gun in the truck and your wife might end up driving it, you should never leave the gun in the truck at all unless it is unloaded and in a locked case and the ammo is in a separate locked case

3 Likes

Oh, and get her that permit ASAP to help alleviate that mess so that all you have to do is the good-idea-anyway of putting the gun in something locked and attached to the truck when you leave it unattended

3 Likes

I make her fingerprints appointment for this Tuesday coming up and will submit the paperwork there!!

3 Likes

When I leave my gun in my truck, I lock it in a Gunvault under my front seat. That way I protect it from someone who breaks into my truck and it protects my wife if she’s driving my truck. The Gunvault complies with even the most restrictive laws regarding access to guns & storage requirements. I’ve been considering getting a Consolevault which is permanently mounted in the vehicle, not just a cable to the seat frame like the Gunvault.

3 Likes

I know in Illinois you have to have FOID card to even touch a gun let alone have it it your possession. I still think that having to have a FOID card which you have to pay for in order to have a gun and buy ammunition SHOULD BE AGAINST THE 2ND AMENDMENT.

3 Likes

Okay chocky, the obvious issue here is you failed to control your firearm.

Depending on the state, she MAY be in trouble if she doesn’t have a permit. Is the gun in locked box in trunk, or beside her, or loaded in glovebox…? many things come into play. Check state laws.

2 Likes

How?? It didn’t happen, so why i fail to control my firearm?? I made the question because i was curious about it and in connecticut the law doesn’t make it clear so i was trying to see the feedback!!

1 Like

When you dig down deep enough, it seems to clarify with this being the operative portion:

"the weapon must be unloaded and the firearm and ammunition must be stored in separate locked containers”

It already is.

2 Likes

yea well good luck with that. i dont have the money to fight them in court.

Couple of things: hopefully, your wife knows that you NEVER TALK TO THE POLICE. Don’t answer questions and NEVER consent to a vehicle search. Period.

Assuming she makes an honest mistake and the gun is found in the trunk, the outcome depends largely on what state you are located in during the stop. Since she is NOT carrying it concealed or open and does not have it accessible (in trunk), she was not in immediate possession of it. Unless it is someplace like the People’s Democratic Republic of New Jersey, Maryland, California and their ilk, she’s probably fine. But definitely check the laws of your state.

He is in CT and this is the legal requirement that would apply in that case:

"the weapon must be unloaded and the firearm and ammunition must be stored in separate locked containers”