Foid card in Illinois

A couple of weeks ago a judge ruled the foid card was unconstitutional . Does anyone know what’s happening with that ruling ?

This is what Uncle Google has found:

[… ]IllinoisCarry.com’s spokeswoman Valinda Rowe claims that the Illinois Attorney General will take the case to the Illinois Supreme Court…
…according to Valinda Rowe, the case is headed to the Illinois Supreme Court thanks to Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul.[…]

Illinois Supreme Court will heat this case, possibly as early as the start of the fall session. Let’s hope it upholds the lower court ruling.

I know there will be at least One Illinois Supreme Court Justice with a No vote. Hoping it will be done away with but doubtful. Let’s face the fact that Mike Madigan runs this state, the Governor any Governor is a figurehead. My old friend Alderman Ed Burke and I served together in the US Army but 50 years ago he was a different person as is everyone. We were officers in the same unit but now he’s very anti-gun and the rub here is his wife Anne Burke aka Illinois Supreme Court Justice Burke is also anti on the issue, hoping there will be more Illinois Judges voting to dissolve our FOID card but keep in mind the cost of the card is a good revenue stream. Democrats never saw a new Tax they didn’t want and like.

2 Likes

Hopefully, they’ll find it Unconstitutional. This is the same Supreme Court that gave the Illinois government an ultimatum on Illinois Concealed Carry License. We may win the day yet. The interesting thing is, how many Illinois gun laws start with the FOID? Would all those laws become null and void as well? :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Chet,
I may be off but I think ISRA already filed a lawsuit against the state. I’m not clear on the second part of your question because back in 2013 I’m thinking the legislature was forced to allow concealed carry or else the federal laws were set in place to kick in.
Bob Murphy

If its unconstitutional , I want my money back for last 32 years of paying for them

I believe the state Supreme Court told them they had until Jan 1 2013 to put some mechanism in place for concealed carry, or as of that date, Constitutional Carry would have become the law in Illinois. They didn’t want to take a chance on THE Supreme Court getting involved, and drafted the current law we have. I wish the wouldn’t have met the deadline.

2 Likes

@Robert8:

the cost of the card is a good revenue stream

On May 29th, the Illinois state House of Representatives voted 62-52 to pass Senate Bill 1966, sending the amended version back to the state Senate for further consideration. Among other things, they would increase the fees and also impose a mandatory fingerprinting requirement for both new FOID and renewal applications.

So we can expect $20 (app fee) + $30 (fingerprints) :triumph:

They proposed 50 dollars for a 5 year FOID card.

yep… which is $20 for FOID and mandatory fingerprints for $30.

I don’t know why they dropped the 10 year period to 5 years, I think it’s merely financial, or possibly they’re bringing it in line with the 5 year Concealed carry license which is 5 years. Because Illinois is broke and the state credit rating is last of the 50 states, 50/50 and they have an addiction to taxation. Making the total $50 for FOID gives them a few million more dollars to throw at Chicago. (You know Illinois politicians see Chicago as primary) then there’s some other property called Illinois out there somewhere.
In other news HB5524 Gun Dealers Licensing Act (to prevent Straw Purchasing), ISRA has filed a lawsuit against the state, as of now, the state has not replied according to my newsletter today.

Perception is not reality when it comes to Ed Burke I’m afraid. The Feds seized 23 guns from his office. Not to mention his office is a “Gun Free Zone”. Politics…people will say and do anything to obtain/retain office.

He was trained by the best of the best. Richard J Daley father of Richard M Daley. Richard J. could speak for an hour and not say a thing. Anyway I knew about that and he will get them back. And I think every city alderman has a gun free office. He’ a friend albeit not close but we were friends years ago. I can call him and he always has taken my call.

1 Like

No, unless I misread it. It would be 50 dollars to the state for the FOID. Then, whatever you were out to go get fingerprints done. I’ve seen them as low as 15 bucks, and as high as 50. That would make the FOID card 65 to as high as 100 dollars. Right now it’s 10 bucks for 10 years, which is still an unconstitutional poll tax.

I’ve heard few versions so far, however one fee has been always the same ($20 for FOID):

Senate Bill 1966:

• Reduce the duration of the FOID from ten years to five while also increasing the application fee from $10 to $20
  • Require FOID applicants pay all costs for fingerprinting and processing the background check

fingerprinting fee may vary

Anyway… It’s a good idea to apply for FOID for all family members now…

1 Like

I had just renewed mine, and helped my wife get hers, last year. I’ve got 8 1/2 years to figure out if I’m staying in Illinois. By that time, my son will graduate high school. All kinds of options at that point.

3 Likes

Just received the below in an Email from ISP:

This is to inform you that as a result of the background check associated with your recent firearm purchase, because you have fingerprints on file for this purpose, your FOID was renewed for up to 10 years from the date of the approved transaction. Please visit your Applicant Portal Dashboard to view your current expiration date and to see your eCard. Because FOID and FOID/CCL combination cards no longer have printed expiration dates, you will not receive a new card. Please see our frequently asked questions at the same website for the latest information on this and other FOID and CCL matters.

PS:

I did not buy a gun. I won a rifle at the Whitetails Unlimited Banquet Friday night! CVA Hunter single shot 44 Mag. Trying to decide between scope and red dot!

3 Likes

Any act of owning the new firearm automatically renew FOID for next 10 years.
Congrats on your winning. :tada:

2 Likes

I barely got to touch it for a picture then got hustled off to fill out the 4473. Can’t pick it up until tomorrow!

I feel like a little kid at Christmas!

2 Likes