Florida Man Shoots Attacker Outside a McDonald’s

(https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/florida-man-shoots-attacker-outside-a-mcdonalds-in-brevard-county-case-of-mistaken-identity/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=20221223_FridayDigest_414g&utm_campaign=/digest/florida-man-shoots-attacker-outside-a-mcdonalds-in-brevard-county-case-of-mistaken-identity/

3 Likes

Seems he got a bit more in return than expected. Oh, well. In what world does one believe assaulting someone is the proper action?

3 Likes

The victim of the attack, having used deadly force in response to an attack that may well not have put him under threat of death or great bodily harm, is now at the mercy of the local prosecutor.
The quoted McD’s customer Anna Spangler has it wrong, in that you cannot assume a possible deadly weapon if one is not displayed or announced.
Customer Zoey Melvin has a much more appropriate analysis: “He could’ve driven away. I mean, he was in a car. I don’t know. It could’ve been handled a lot differently.”
Even under the Florida Stand Your Ground law, should the shooter be charged and go to trial, a jury who has heard the full instructions on the law from the judge is likely to agree with Ms. Melvin, and be obliged to convict him of some level of homicide.
This could not go well for him.

3 Likes

This is true, but we do know that fists do kill, many people die that way, so many that the FBI crime stats has that as a category.

5 Likes

investigators think the unprovoked attack was a case of mistaken identity

How do they know? Did the dead attacker tell them?

“He could’ve driven away. I mean, he was in a car. I don’t know. It could’ve been handled a lot differently,” said Zoey Melvin.

How does Zoe Melvin know the car was running, and ready to drive off, not blocked by other vehicles, and the driver would not run over anyone or gotten into a fatal accident after his injuries?

I will agree that any defender in any incident involving deadly force is always at the mercy of the local prosecutor.
However, I see some problems in your analysis:

• The article doesn’t state any specifics other than “a man sitting in his vehicle outside a McDonald’s restaurant”. Care to explain how you are confident the driver could have gotten away?
  • The attacker had access to the driver, while driver was seated in the cab, pinned between steering and back of the seat. Do you not believe that striking someone’s face with closed fist can cause “great bodily harm”, such as permanent blindness? Can kill? How many blows did he receive, how severe were they? You don’t know.

Can you explain circumstances along the lines of this scenario, when a defender IS justified in using their weapon? Thank you

4 Likes

What does the Florida Law say about the car? Is this your dwelling?
If somebody comes to my front door in my house and start punching me in the face I’ve got full right to defend myself using deadly force.

6 Likes

texas has a castle law the even in your car and are attacked,it is legal to defend your castle,does Fl, have a castle law also

6 Likes

Succinctly, Yes.

5 Likes

IMHO a fist is a weapon capable of causing death and great bodily harm. I don’t think charges will be filed.

2 Likes

Yes, I recall the “Gentle Giant” only used his fists against the police officer, Darren Wilson. The damage certainly was great bodily harm.

4 Likes