Flamethrowers Legal or not I'm Washoe County NV

I own a flamethrower and am interested to know if it is illegal for me to burn the weeds in my sidewalk and on the street?

Thanks in advance!

5 Likes

Hello and welcome @Sean151
When I lived in Lyon County we could burn only certain times of the year. I would contact the nearest firehouse.

7 Likes

In the United States, Flamethrowers are broadly legal for personal ownership and use. California requires a permit for the possession of a flamethrower, and only Maryland has outright banned their ownership and use. No federal laws exist regarding flamethrowers, as they are not defined as weapons under the National Firearms Act. The United States is a signatory of the [Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons protocol III of which limits military use of flamethrowers; this does not extend to civilian use.

5 Likes

Hello and welcome to the community @Sean151! Some places have ordinances on burning on city right of way. As @Karacal mentioned contact the fire dept or city hall.

2 Likes

@Sean151 Welcome to the community!

2 Likes

Welcome

1 Like

Burning on your own property may be limited to certain times of the year and might require a permit depending on State, County and local regulations.

I suspect burning in public spaces like the sidewalk and road could require additional permissions or may not be allowed at all. I would check with the local fire department as well as the local road maintenance office. The neighbors and local authorities may not be too happy if you leave scorch marks all over the side walk and road.

Back when I did prescribed burns on private property we had to go through a whole process for permitting, informing neighbors and coordinating with the local fire department. Grass fires can move incredibly quickly. We once did a weed reducing and restoration burn on 50 or so acres of grassland. It took months to plan and permit but only about 15 minutes to burn the entire area once we got the drip torches going. I don’t know what regulations might apply to burning a few spots of weeds but the risk of a much larger area catching on fire would be the same if proper precautions are not taken.

3 Likes

Considering that they’re offered for sale openly and without (AFAIK) restrictions, I’d presume they’re legal. You might want to check with the fire service that has jurisdiction over your property regarding how and when they can be used.

4 Likes

Welcome aboard, Alan!

1 Like

Welcome

2 Likes

@Alan158 Welcome to the community!

Hello and welcome @Alan158

1 Like